“Exceptional Golf”

World Woods Golf Club
More attraction details
Owner description: Golf club offers two Tom Fazio-designed 18-hole courses: Pine Barrens and Rolling Oaks.
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Well maintained, very challenging and exceptional scenery. If you enjoy playing the game and you're in the neighborhood don't pass this one by.

1  Thank SamKnows
"second round"
"challenging enough"
"wide fairways"

Reviewed August 24, 2012

Two VERY challenging, but fun, golf courses. Plus outstanding pactice facilities including a short course AND 3 additional practice holes. Only a snackbar-type food service, but you really aren't going there to eat.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

My husband and I played as a twosome on the Oaks course, not being able to get on the Pine Barrens course on short notice. The pace of play was good. We never felt rushed, and did not have to wait at all. It was also nice to play as a twosome as I get slightly nervous playing with others. The course was in good shape. It was nice to not have any houses along the fairways. The scenery and birds were picturesque.
We paid $50 each. Winter rates are $120 and there is NO WAY I would pay that. The facilities are not that nice. The clubhouse is very unimpressive. They have no liquor license so no vodka tonics. We only saw the beer cart once in 18 holes. We don't like to drink much while we play but unwinding in the clubhouse afterwards with a vodka is nice and not only do they not serve anything, it's in the middle of nowhere, so we had no place else to go either. The sandwich we ordered at the turn was $9 and made on cheap bread with a very small amount of cheap turkey. Their menu was very limited. We play other courses nearby that have much better food and beverage options, for less money.
They also do not allow carts into the parking lot so you have to use the bag drop. It was strange. For someone looking for a relaxing yet challenging game of golf at a better value, I recommend Quail Hollow in Wesley Chapel. Lake Jovita in Dade City is also more of a "resort" style course, and is very challenging. They have Q school there. The Dunes is near the World Woods course, and while I have not played it, my husband says for the money it is better than World Woods. I was a little let down by the facilities but the course was nice.

1  Thank HVB
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Played the PB course the early morning (7:30 am) of 7/15. My brother and I were in the area on business and have played this course many times. It's one of our favorites. We prefer to be out very early ahead of the crowds. We play "ready golf". We are serious golfers but don't need much time to prepare to hit a shot. We hate slow play but don't like to be rushed either. We'll we arrive at the 1st tee and there is no one there - not even a starter. Then all the sudden a bunch of locals drive up to the first tee (around 8 folks or so) and pull their carts right over in front of us (even though we had the first tee time). Then a few minutes later the starter shows up and they all begin to chat it up. We were stared at because we weren't "locals" I guess. So a three-some tees off in front of us and the starter is still yackin it up with some local that clearly had too much to drink the night before. I ask the starter if we can go and he's lke "uh, yeah, I guess so." Gheez! Anyway the threesome in front of us played very quickly - most of the time not even putting out on the green. We lost sight of them around hole number 5. Then on hole number 9 the obnoxious marshall drives up and says, "I don't know how to tell you this but the group in from of you is on hole number 12. At this point we had been on the course for much less than two hours. My brother tells the marshall that the folks in front of us must be locals and they are playing like they are late for an appointment. There is nobody - nobody in sight behind us after we teed off on #1. Never saw a group behind us the whole day. We finished our 18-hole round in 3 hrs 15 minutes and this freakin marshall is all up in our butts because of the gap between us and the group ahead. I too witnessed the "we don't care" attitude from the bag drop folks as many others have mentioned. Yes, it was dissapointing that one of the holes (one of the best holes on the course) was closed due to flooding. This might be the last time we visit WW.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Ok, so where to start...I must say before I start that my expectations were high as most of the literature/reviews/ratings/ etc...were set pretty high. I was on vacation down in Tampa area and figured I would have one day to play golf, so research suggested this would be a nice place to get a round in...hopefully it would be memorable. Unfortunately for us is was memorable, but probably not in a good way. When I called to make tee times I was not told one hole on the Pine Barrens course was closed. Yes mother nature cannot be controlled, but you owe it to us to be upfront about course conditions. Odds are that a week from the time I called the hole was likely going to be still under water, or in some form of recovery. Yes you said I could play the three practice holes, but you still should have told me upfront, so I could be aware. Next issue...because I was likely only going to play one round of golf I decided club rental made more sense since the cost of bringing clubs on an airplane would be more, plus the overall hassle of getting clubs through an airport for a single round just did not make sense. So, I reserved three sets of rental clubs when I made tee times. Well let me just say for a so called first class facility your rental clubs leave a lot to be desired to say the least. I was EXTREMELY disappointed and even embarassed as to the clubs we were given to play. One set didn't even have a five iron!! When I tried to explain to my father in-law why we had to drive more than an hour to play golf when there were so many closer options I told him this course was supposed to be one of the best around. We could not believe our eyes when we saw these clubs...they had to be at least ten years old...I mean I would have been fine with clubs which were a couple of years old, but these things were practically first generation...I had a set of titleist DCI irons with grips almost as smooth as a babies butt!! Mismatched woods...and even these were quite old....again is this is supposed to be a first class facility why would you rent clubs like this? Again...as I said I was embarassed...I made what is obviously a very poor assumption, which was a first class course should have a decent set of rental clubs. I even said to my father in-law that we would take ten strokes off due to the clubs alone!! As we were given the briefing from the starter come to find out ALL "waste" areas were considered grounds under repair, so a free lift would be allowed. Ok...once again cannot control mother nature...but man when we got out there it was amazing to see the damage the course had sustained due to the huge amount of rainfall. Many of the waste areas were washed out, and like I said one of the holes was actually shutdown due to all the rain. Again if this had been told to me upfront my expectations would not have been so high. Ok...the golf itself...overall one could see how this course could be amazing with all the waste areas, but for me it was sometimes hard to keep this in mind as I was already let down with clubs and lack of communication. Overall I think the course is probably really nice when it is not flooded out...I would say the pace of play was good. Tough to judge when you are a threesome being held up by a foursome. I honestly do not remember the exact length of the round, but it was in the area of 4 1/2 hours or so. Really pretty quick compated to some other public courses I have played. Why a poor rating...simple...they need to tell you there are problems on the course when making your tee times plain and simple. Second, first class golf courses do not rent an incomplete set of clubs, never mind a set of clubs in such poor condition and older than dirt!