“Good casual dining”

Cali Viejo
Ranked #42 of 308 Restaurants in Brandon
Cuisines: Colombian, Latin
Reviewed May 30, 2013

We go here pretty regularly. The food is authentic and yummy, price is right and they are super friendly. Service is not super speedy but we don't come for fast food type service. Dinner portions are huge and really tasty. Live music at dinner was a bit too loud for my taste, but overall a good little spot to eat good Colombian food.

1  Thank dangela75
There are newer reviews for Cali Viejo

Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

Slightly confused initially when entering the restaurant with the take out, catering, and restaurant all being separate. Once I was where I needed to be I was pleased. Nice looking, small restaurant. Service was a little slow for the lack of patrons but very friendly. Food was excellent and reasonably priced. Menu was very authentic! I will return!

1  Thank Yvette M
Reviewed February 21, 2013

My wife and I had breakfast there this morning (2-21-13) We shared the Supreme Omelette w/sausage, cheese, peppers etc. We also shared an order of beans, and an order of rice (separate charge for each). The omelette came with potatoes, toasted Cuban bread and a bonus, no charge... Colombian bread roll. which like everything else was delicious. We put the mild chili sauce on the omelette and potatoes which only added to the flavors. Was told by my wife that the coffee w/ tres leche was very good. Everyone there, including the owner, was quite pleasant and patient. We were trying to kill a little time while our car was being worked on nearby. I would not hesitate to eat there again. Just wished we loved a little closer!!!
R & K

1  Thank 99flyboy
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I am Colombian and when I came here I missed not eating some of those iconic dishes like the Colombian tamales, Consome de Carne (Beef soup), palomilla steak and beef empanadas (the Colombian way). All these are delicious here. I noticed they have made some dishes very American friendly by turning some dishes into sandwiches and adding salads and fajitas, which I understand since we are not in Colombia, but the flavors stay the same, the ingredients are right and taste delicious. I usually go for the dishes that stay authentic in form and flavor which are my personal favorites.

All the pastries are delicious, specially the tender warm pan-de-yucas (yuca-chessee rolls).

The service was a little slow but it was not too bad waiting with a jugo-de-lulo (Lulo juice, a fruit native from the Andes)...

The waitress was friendly, a little distracted in my opinion but the food was so good and hard to find that I wasn't focused on that.

Price-wise dishes are in my line of cheap and expensive. Dishes are in the 8 to 12+ dollar range. It is OK but for special occasions. Not too OK if you think about all the easy-to-find cheap Cuban buffets around town.

1  Thank waros
Reviewed December 11, 2012

There are two sides to this restaurant... The cafe side and the bar side, as I refer to them. I believe the kitchen is shared between the two.

When you approach the building, the cafe side is to your left. You can see the dessert display through the big open window and this is a good place to have lunch. They have televisions here that usually display sporting events, like soccer. I have always had good service here and the food is delicious, it seems like they put a lot of time and care into preparing it.

If, however, you make a right upon approaching the building, you will find a door leading into a dimly lit room that has a full-liquor bar and dining area. The food is the same here and it is a good choice for dinner, but I have found the service is slower and less personal on this side.

Overall, Cali Viejo is a great choice for authentic Colombian food in this area. The menu has so many choices, I often find it hard to decide. My favorite is the Bandeja Paisa, which has a little bit of everything (flank steak, arepa, sausage, pork rind, salad, sweet plantains, beans & rice, etc.) The BBQ pork ribs are also fabulous. Everything I have tried here is delicious, so you really can't go wrong. I believe they also have happy hour specials with two-for-one sangrias on some days. They also have a list of authentic Colombian drinks/cocktails for those who are feeling adventurous.

Try it, you will like it.

1  Thank verysoon