“Food good but service not so good.”
Review of Shrimp Boat Grill

Shrimp Boat Grill
Ranked #5 of 312 Restaurants in Brandon
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 16, 2014

This is my 87 year old mother's favorite restaurant so naturally we would take her here especially since it moved so much closer to us. The restaurant was busy for a Sunday night but our group of four got seated right away. It took a bit for a server to come our way, enough for me to notice. Sharon, our server, finally came and took our drink order. The bread came before our drinks (2 waters, 2 soda and a wine). Then our food came out not at the same time. I had to ask about my salad since i never received it prior to the meal coming. My steak did not have the demi glaze that I had to ask for and my son's chicken parmesan was FLOODED with sauce that it was spilling over the plate and he said he had to search for the chicken. Not once did Sharon come by to ask if we needed refills. Then when we waited and waited for her to come by and clear our table and provide us with our check even though she passed by our table at least 5 times AND looked at our table. Normally, I am not overly picky but this experience was enough to bother me and take notice. Will I come back again? Not willingly. I am not a seafood fan and there is not enough for us land lovers on the menu and steak is expensive there. Was the steak good? Yes, it was tender. The food that we had was good...but the service left something to be desired.

1  Thank AnitaTim

Reviewed February 13, 2014

I now have a another great opportunity to rave about my favorite restaurant. I wrote about the Shrimp Boat previously and enthused about their excellent food and their innovation--Category 4! The food is still great and Category 4 has become a necessary part of my Saturdays, but now I can enjoy new surroundings at the corner of Bloomingdale Avenue and Bell Shoals (1020 Bloomingdale Avenue, Brandon 33596). It's roomier, but somehow just as welcoming as ever--as are the people who will greet you. One word to the wise: call for a reservation--a lot of people enjoy the Shrimp Boat Grill!

1  Thank jane n
Reviewed February 9, 2014

We went to the new location for lunch after a morning of shopping in Brandon. As usual the food was great. My wife and I each ordered the lunch special which was great. My only complaints are the $1.50 12oz. drafts have been replaced with $2.75 16oz. drafts and the noise. The management needs to figure out how to dampen the noise in the dinning area. Maybe hang some sound panels from the ceiling or add some on the walls. You can't enjoy the restaurant if you have to listen to everyone's conversation at once.

1  Thank Henryn46
Reviewed February 5, 2014 via mobile

You guys know me very well. Honest to a fault and if I like it I will tell you and definitely if I don't! This one as I said was just simply delicious and amazing.

I was surprised on this one because for me first impressions count. The restaurant is located in a plaza and upon entering I thought we may have mistaken the address because it just really looked like a bar with several food booths.

But being my usual adventurous self I decided to not only give it a try but I also choose the 5 course chef menu. Hubby wasn't so adventurous and he choose off the menu.

Boy was it good! It was so good that we drove from Orlando again the next week just to eat there again!

We had to meet the chef! A great guy - Chef Al Paone - who actually never went to culinary school but has a passion for cooking!

Like I said, just simply amazing! You guys need to try it - won't disappoint.

1  Thank Cas M
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Had diner this evening at their new location. Went to old location a their web site had not been updated. They moved Friday and this is Monday The menu has been down sized, with onion rings dropped because "the kitchen thinks they are too much trouble". There onion rings and dipping sauce was really good at original location. I had fried shrimp and fried cod. both were over breaded and a little over cooked. Wife had fried scallops that were OK. The salads were fresh and crisp; excellent. Service was excellent as it was in old location. The new location just doesn't have the same feel as the original and the food was not as good as I remember. The food may come back to previous level once they are used to the new digs.

Been to Shrimp Boat Grill? Share your experiences!