“Overpriced entertainment”

Kobe Japanese Steak House & Sushi Bar
Ranked #45 of 301 Restaurants in Brandon
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
“Overpriced entertainment”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

Yes, the food at Kobe is very good, and the freshness and quality are without question. The entertainment of having your food prepared in front of you has some value. However, the tight and sometimes uncomfortable seating, combined with the fact that you often either can't hear, or can't understand the spoken words of the Chef diminishes the value of the experience. Meals here are more expensive because of the presentation, and if I'm going to pay for that I want to be able to enjoy it. They'll attend to your needs if you can find someone for thinks like drink refills etc. Overall, good food, but not a value for the money.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank jaraysco

“Anniversary dinner”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

The experience was different.Sat with complete strangers.If you ask me, it was overrated and very pricey.I didn't like eating in intervals of the fact that one of the strangers was breast feeding her child at the table, no respect for the women that were that's with their husbands......I would probably try it again but at a different location. If everyone tipped accordingly, they made a killing....lol

1 Thank michelle9922
Brandon, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Bad service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2014

We never got offer any more drinks just one we was so thirsty the servent was horrible the cook was very not friendly and was messy I would not recommend this place I will not go back and I spend a lot if I like a place I have no limit on why I spend , had a bad experience t kobes

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Cattyyy
Riverview
“Overpriced, slow service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

We arrived prior to the rest of our party and decided to have a drink at the bar while waiting. The bar had neither my first choice of drink, Coors Light (draft or bottle would have sufficed) nor Sapporo, my favorite Japanese beer. As a result, I did not order anything.

We had a party of five and since we did not want to sit at a Hibachi table with strangers, our only choice was a four-person booth with a round table pushed up against it for the fifth person. Service was achingly slow, and sushi was served well after our entrees had arrived. A more upscale Japanese restaurant I've eaten at serves sushi prior to the entree. The soup served with the meal was very good. The salad was average: lettuce, a paper-thin slice of cucumber, and dressing.

I ordered chicken lo mein, which was fairly decent with the exception that most of the vegetables were onions. One of my dining partners commented on the two small pieces of chicken that were in the Hibachi chicken entree. My dining partners enjoyed their wine, but I was miffed by the lack of not one but two beers I selected, so I did not order a drink.

Atmosphere was canned music overhead, not the slightest bit Asian in nature. That was definitely not the atmosphere of tranquility of a genuine Japanese restaurant. There is a koi pond in the lobby, which occupied children waiting with families.

Follow-up to clear the table and bring the check was slow. Kobe may suit Joe and Jane Brandon, but if you've experienced quality Japanese food in an authentic Japanese restaurant, you'll be disappointed.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank cshao
Mulberry, Florida
“Always a favorite for special occassions”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

Had dinner there last night and as always, the food and service were excellent and the chef entertaining.We were there early and seated quickly but,having eaten there several times before, we know that making reservations would be wise ... the wait times in the evening can be lengthy .

• Visited November 2013