“Love us some Pelican Post”
Review of Pelican Post Motel

Pelican Post Motel
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Bradenton Beach
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Best location for a price that cant be beat. You are one block from the Gulf and one block from the intercoastal. Bridge Street with its shopping, restaurants, music and drinks is just one block away. Once you arrive at the Pelican Post you never have to get back in your car.

We have been going to Bradenton Beach (Anna Maria Island) muliple times a year for 5 years now, and always stay at the Pelican Post. It is always clean and quiet. The owners and staff are always polite and friendly, and very respectful. All rooms are equipped with kitchenettes. The grounds are always well maintained and well groomed.

Over the past 5 years we have actually watched the Pelican Post mature. So many positive changes have been made with the grounds and with the rooms themselves. Upgrades to rooms seem to be ongoing. Just this past weekend Marie (owner) actually pulled me aside to show me some changes they recently made to one of their rooms, and it was awesome. But what made it so awesome was not just the fact that they are trying so hard to make things nicer, but the idea that she thought enough to recognize me as a repeat costumer and wanted to share with me what they had going on. She is a sweet sweet lady. And Nicole, I cant say enough about her. It seems every time I call she is there willing to help.

The Pelican Post has everything you would want from a motel. There is no better place on the Island in my opinion.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank jsproul60
There are newer reviews for Pelican Post Motel

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Pelican Post was the perfect place for my birthday celebration. Such a warm welcome ftom the iwners and their staff and what a great location! Everything catered for - nothing was too much trouble. Rooms fresh and clean with thoughtful little extras here and there. So happy I chose the Pelican Post and will certainly visit again. Can recommend this little gem !

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We stayed at the Pelican Post about a year ago - at the time I was not a member of TripAdvisor. Now that we're looking for a place to stay at the end of next month on the west coast, I remembered PP, but couldn't recall where it was located so I popped over here. I could not believe some of the negative reviews this little nugget of paradise was getting !! I actually laughed out loud at "No Thanks" complaint of no ice maker...seriously???? I don't even have one of those at home !!!! I found the Pelican Post to be charming - exactly what I would expect from a 'Mom and Pop' motel in one of the most laid back little towns I have ever been in. We did have some trouble getting in our door on arrival, but being a long time Florida resident, I know how humidity can warp things. Another thing most people don't understand is that when it rains in Florida, it generally rains sideways. The salt content from the rain reeks havoc with almost anything - especially metal. The young man - in the office (!) - came to help us right away and we all had a good laugh. Our room was very clean, with amenities that you would expect to find at a motel. I have stayed at much high priced vacation spots, and some were not as clean. If you're staying inside judging the furniture or worried that there is no TV in the bedroom (especially if you're with your significant other!), you're not doing this whole "vacation" thing right. Don't listen to the hype - welcoming hosts, comfy bed, beautiful scenery...'nuf said.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Beth5789
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We have visited Pelican Post the past 4 Octobers for Fall break week and absolutely love it. It is a good value for a single mom of 3 to take the kids to the beach. We always stay in the same suite beca
use it's the perfect size for us plus 2 grandparents. The owners are super nice and always accommodating as is the cleaning lady. It's a quick walk to the beach after stopping at the Circle K for a soda and snack. And the beds are comfy after a fun day at the beach. My sons love to spend time in the common area playing and we have used the grills several times when family visits from Lakeland. I just hate that we will miss this year because of a work schedule conflict but will definitely be back next year!

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank AWoody8
Reviewed July 19, 2013

What a find! In April 2013 my husband and I had our first weekend away from out 18 month old twin boys. We wanted to travel by boat somewhere we'd never been but not too far away just in case. We chose to head south from Indian Rocks Beach to Bradenton Beach and the Cortez area for a few days for fun, sun, fishing and kid-free time. The Pelican Post came recommended by the staff at the Bradenton Marina where we kept our boat overnight for the two nights we stayed. We immediately fell in love with the Pelican Post. Our room was great, "The Sunrise Suite", and very reasonably priced. Yes it may be a little dated, but that's what adds to the charm. And although dated, well kept! The whole feel of the Pelican Post and the surrounding area is "old Florida", which we LOVED! Because we traveled by boat, when on land, we did not have a car but this was no problem. Everything was walking distance, and by that I mean 0.2-0.5 miles away. LOTS of great places to eat and fun bars with great live music. We had a wonderful experience and will be back in the future! Thanks for a great get-a-way!!

Lindsay and Jim Drake

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lindsay D
Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at the Pelican Post numerous times. The staff is warm and kind....the Motel is adorable throw back to the 60's...they are within walking distance to downtown and the beach. They have a courtyard if you wish to grill out and have
friends join you. No pressures..pure Island Paradise! Wont stay anywhere else from nw on! :0)

• Stayed: February 2013
3  Thank CherylLumsden
Reviewed June 25, 2013

they have a 2nt minimum and we left after 1nt. the picture here (with the blue bedspreads) is the room we stayed in, #6. it appears to be bright and sunny but actually, the windows are fogged out and you cannot see outside. (same with the bathroom window.) what you don't see in this picture is the nasty old window a/c unit that is right where this photo is cropped on the right side. it sticks way out of the wall and blows like a freight train non stop. unfortunately, it is the only air source so you can't turn it off. the beds seemed very old. there is no tv in the bdrm and no a/c in the living room. it was a clean room but sooo dated. the bathroom had some satanic looking black writing and symbols all over the mirror that someone had obviously attempted to remove but was unsuccessful. there was one tiny bar of soap. there were 2 thin bath towels. there is a fridge but no ice maker and no ice machine on the property. we were out on a fishing trip all day yesterday and when we got back to the room, we had no clean towels. there is no maid service! not sure why we bothered to walk over to the office b/c there was never anyone there. they stay in a room at the end of the motel so you have to call them on the phone when you check in or if you need anything while you are there. when I called, I was informed that we were supposed to put our dirty towels outside before a certain time and they would be replaced with clean ones. this is written inside a manual of rules in the room but I had not read it. they delivered the clean towels within a few minutes of my call. last but not least, I want to mention the very strong odor in the room. I am pretty sure it was mold. the room had been painted but it was very damp and moldy smelling. or maybe it was smoke, idk. we could not sleep there another night. at $100 per night with a two night minimum, this place is way overpriced!

Room Tip: choose another motel.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank flyingfish20
Alastair_7, Owner at Pelican Post Motel, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Maybe a little harsh on the review, but you are entitled to your opinion, which we respect.

First, let’s see if we can find a standpoint here, before I address your post. Your member profile shows that you have made 33 submissions to date – some good, some bad. Your only TOP ratings for hotels were in Vegas:
1) The Encore, a 5 star palace, (nice!) with rooms starting tonight at $357.00 (expedia.com).
2) Then there was The Bellagio, another 5 star palace, with rooms tonight, starting at $292.50 (expedia.com). But wait – you had a corner suite which would cost considerably more – very nice!!

Rooms at the Pelican Post start tonight at $90.00……… Hmmmm.

As I have said before – I despair when I read a post like this. It is demeaning not only to me, but also to all my staff. I say again, if you are used to staying in a 5 star palace, review the Pelican Post in accordance with our rate structure and compare like for like. Don’t denigrate us for catering to a different customer.

Ok – So, where do I start? Let’s try to address each issue you raise……

A) Poor light? The back windows on #6 have a ‘frosted’ finish – same as all the back windows. Why? Because the fence is only three feet from the back wall of the building.

B) A clear bathroom window? Surely, you are not advocating clear glass bathroom windows?

C) A/C unit. The “nasty old A/C unit” The room must have A/C! Like all window units, it stands about 3” proud of the wall and, if you are used to central air, you are bound be aware of the noise.

D) Beds. The beds are neither new nor old – as long as they are comfortable, what does it matter?

E) The room is dated? We call it traditional – we are an old conventional Mom ‘n’ Pop place.

F) Your “black satanic writing” (wo, oooo!!…) is the glue showing through from the wall that was used to mount it. This mirror is scheduled to be replaced.

G) Our complimentary soaps (summer mist) are the hotel/motel standard, individually wrapped bars.

H) Our towels are standard commercial hotel/motel towels and your room had a full set for two – this includes 2x bath, 2x hand, 2x face cloth (one for each guest) PLUS 1x bath mat, one tea towel, one kitchen wash cloth and an oven-mit – all freshly laundered, specially for you and your travel companion…..

I) Ice? Call me old fashioned, but the fridge/freezer IS THE ICE MAKER! If you want ice for your fishing trip, there is a Circle K at the end of the street.

J) Fresh towels? We have taken the time to prepare a guest notes folder for your room – had you taken the time to read it, you would have known how to go about getting clean towels.

K) Similarly, had you taken the time to read your terms and conditions when you reserved your room, you would have known that maid service is available for $15.00 plus taxes per day.

L) Nobody in the office? This is a Mom ‘n’ Pop place – unlike the Holiday Inn, if we want to decorate a room, we have to do it ourselves. The walk from the office to where we were working is all of 75 feet……

M) Odd smell? All our rooms smell the same after cleaning – its called ‘Lavender Pine-Sol’

N) Overpriced? Our room rates are still the best value on Anna Maria Island

At last – something nice: “You delivered the towels within minutes of being asked”. Phew – not all bad then….

Honestly – give me strength!

Alastair N Nicoll

Tradewinds Beach Resort
Tradewinds Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Bradenton Beach
An Island Getaway at Palm Tree Villas

Been to Pelican Post Motel? Share your experiences!