“We love Pelican Post”
Review of Pelican Post

Pelican Post
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Bradenton Beach
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We have visited Pelican Post the past 4 Octobers for Fall break week and absolutely love it. It is a good value for a single mom of 3 to take the kids to the beach. We always stay in the same suite beca
use it's the perfect size for us plus 2 grandparents. The owners are super nice and always accommodating as is the cleaning lady. It's a quick walk to the beach after stopping at the Circle K for a soda and snack. And the beds are comfy after a fun day at the beach. My sons love to spend time in the common area playing and we have used the grills several times when family visits from Lakeland. I just hate that we will miss this year because of a work schedule conflict but will definitely be back next year!

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank AWoody8

Reviewed July 19, 2013

What a find! In April 2013 my husband and I had our first weekend away from out 18 month old twin boys. We wanted to travel by boat somewhere we'd never been but not too far away just in case. We chose to head south from Indian Rocks Beach to Bradenton Beach and the Cortez area for a few days for fun, sun, fishing and kid-free time. The Pelican Post came recommended by the staff at the Bradenton Marina where we kept our boat overnight for the two nights we stayed. We immediately fell in love with the Pelican Post. Our room was great, "The Sunrise Suite", and very reasonably priced. Yes it may be a little dated, but that's what adds to the charm. And although dated, well kept! The whole feel of the Pelican Post and the surrounding area is "old Florida", which we LOVED! Because we traveled by boat, when on land, we did not have a car but this was no problem. Everything was walking distance, and by that I mean 0.2-0.5 miles away. LOTS of great places to eat and fun bars with great live music. We had a wonderful experience and will be back in the future! Thanks for a great get-a-way!!

Lindsay and Jim Drake

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lindsay D
Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at the Pelican Post numerous times. The staff is warm and kind....the Motel is adorable throw back to the 60's...they are within walking distance to downtown and the beach. They have a courtyard if you wish to grill out and have
friends join you. No pressures..pure Island Paradise! Wont stay anywhere else from nw on! :0)

• Stayed: February 2013
3  Thank CherylLumsden
Reviewed June 25, 2013

they have a 2nt minimum and we left after 1nt. the picture here (with the blue bedspreads) is the room we stayed in, #6. it appears to be bright and sunny but actually, the windows are fogged out and you cannot see outside. (same with the bathroom window.) what you don't see in this picture is the nasty old window a/c unit that is right where this photo is cropped on the right side. it sticks way out of the wall and blows like a freight train non stop. unfortunately, it is the only air source so you can't turn it off. the beds seemed very old. there is no tv in the bdrm and no a/c in the living room. it was a clean room but sooo dated. the bathroom had some satanic looking black writing and symbols all over the mirror that someone had obviously attempted to remove but was unsuccessful. there was one tiny bar of soap. there were 2 thin bath towels. there is a fridge but no ice maker and no ice machine on the property. we were out on a fishing trip all day yesterday and when we got back to the room, we had no clean towels. there is no maid service! not sure why we bothered to walk over to the office b/c there was never anyone there. they stay in a room at the end of the motel so you have to call them on the phone when you check in or if you need anything while you are there. when I called, I was informed that we were supposed to put our dirty towels outside before a certain time and they would be replaced with clean ones. this is written inside a manual of rules in the room but I had not read it. they delivered the clean towels within a few minutes of my call. last but not least, I want to mention the very strong odor in the room. I am pretty sure it was mold. the room had been painted but it was very damp and moldy smelling. or maybe it was smoke, idk. we could not sleep there another night. at $100 per night with a two night minimum, this place is way overpriced!

Room Tip: choose another motel.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank flyingfish20
Alastair_7, Owner at Pelican Post, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Maybe a little harsh on the review, but you are entitled to your opinion, which we respect.

First, let’s see if we can find a standpoint here, before I address your post. Your member profile shows that you have made 33 submissions to date – some good, some bad. Your only TOP ratings for hotels were in Vegas:
1) The Encore, a 5 star palace, (nice!) with rooms starting tonight at $357.00 (expedia.com).
2) Then there was The Bellagio, another 5 star palace, with rooms tonight, starting at $292.50 (expedia.com). But wait – you had a corner suite which would cost considerably more – very nice!!

Rooms at the Pelican Post start tonight at $90.00……… Hmmmm.

As I have said before – I despair when I read a post like this. It is demeaning not only to me, but also to all my staff. I say again, if you are used to staying in a 5 star palace, review the Pelican Post in accordance with our rate structure and compare like for like. Don’t denigrate us for catering to a different customer.

Ok – So, where do I start? Let’s try to address each issue you raise……

A) Poor light? The back windows on #6 have a ‘frosted’ finish – same as all the back windows. Why? Because the fence is only three feet from the back wall of the building.

B) A clear bathroom window? Surely, you are not advocating clear glass bathroom windows?

C) A/C unit. The “nasty old A/C unit” The room must have A/C! Like all window units, it stands about 3” proud of the wall and, if you are used to central air, you are bound be aware of the noise.

D) Beds. The beds are neither new nor old – as long as they are comfortable, what does it matter?

E) The room is dated? We call it traditional – we are an old conventional Mom ‘n’ Pop place.

F) Your “black satanic writing” (wo, oooo!!…) is the glue showing through from the wall that was used to mount it. This mirror is scheduled to be replaced.

G) Our complimentary soaps (summer mist) are the hotel/motel standard, individually wrapped bars.

H) Our towels are standard commercial hotel/motel towels and your room had a full set for two – this includes 2x bath, 2x hand, 2x face cloth (one for each guest) PLUS 1x bath mat, one tea towel, one kitchen wash cloth and an oven-mit – all freshly laundered, specially for you and your travel companion…..

I) Ice? Call me old fashioned, but the fridge/freezer IS THE ICE MAKER! If you want ice for your fishing trip, there is a Circle K at the end of the street.

J) Fresh towels? We have taken the time to prepare a guest notes folder for your room – had you taken the time to read it, you would have known how to go about getting clean towels.

K) Similarly, had you taken the time to read your terms and conditions when you reserved your room, you would have known that maid service is available for $15.00 plus taxes per day.

L) Nobody in the office? This is a Mom ‘n’ Pop place – unlike the Holiday Inn, if we want to decorate a room, we have to do it ourselves. The walk from the office to where we were working is all of 75 feet……

M) Odd smell? All our rooms smell the same after cleaning – its called ‘Lavender Pine-Sol’

N) Overpriced? Our room rates are still the best value on Anna Maria Island

At last – something nice: “You delivered the towels within minutes of being asked”. Phew – not all bad then….

Honestly – give me strength!

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We arrived Saturday at 12 noon. to the office being closed are click end time was 2:30 giving them the benefit of the doubt we had lunch and returned at. 2:30 still no one in office but note on office door to come and find them in room 2 which was being refurbished. So I did that and get our key. First Impression was this may be ok. After a full afternoon at the
beach we returned for a shower before heading to dinner.....No hot water in shower. We called the office and left msg which they returned our call in about 15 minutes but were told it would be Sunday AM before they could address the problem. If was around 10:30 before they started working on the problem. Finally around noon it appeared to be repaired......not. You could now get water from the hot but it wound either scold you or freeze you to death. They were kind enough to refund us a small amount on the room charge. The electrical is very old are several extension cords are bring used and I doubt seriously this place would pass any kind of building codes. I would not recommend this motel.

• Stayed: June 2013
Alastair_7, Owner at Pelican Post, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Sir, your reference, in both the title and the body of this posting, to electrical extension cords being used in your room, as an “Electrical Fire Hazard” are totally unsupported and potentially damaging to our business. The Pelican Post, like all hotels/motels on the island, is subject to regular inspections from the Fire Department and we have never received so much as a minor code violation, never mind being cited for a potential fire hazard. I would ask you to revise this posting to remove this implied issue.

Furthermore, the damaged faucet you mention, in your room was simply a wear and tear issue that the Pelican Post could not have foreseen. Your posting intimates that this issue was raised “quite early in the day” when in fact, you did not raise the issue until nearly 10pm by which time, it would not have been fair to you or other guests to call out the plumber. We are genuinely sorry for the inconvenience this caused but, as you have acknowledged – we have already offered; and you accepted a refund of $50.00 (not the “small amount” you intimated in your post). The issue of the hot/cold fluctuation is no different to other properties – flush the toilet and hear an expletive from the shower next door.

Frankly, I despair when I read a post like this. We try extraordinarily hard to ensure that all our guests have a great time during their stay at the Pelican Post. In your opening statement you say “first impressions were this may be OK” – I say, that if you are used to staying in a higher grade hotel, paying higher rates, review the Pelican Post in accordance with our rate structure and compare like for like – don’t denigrate us for catering to a different consumer.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Staying at the Pelican Post was an absolute treat! It is EXTREMELY CLOSE to everything you would want to be near in Bradenton Beach! Anyone who is expecting flat screen TV's, marble floors, massaging beds, and a chocolate on the pillow please look elsewhere (because you've obviously forgotten why you came ot the beach). The staff is extremely attentive, caring, and will do ANYTHING to make your stay all that you could have wanted. The stay is very affordable and the atmosphere created by the guests around you (ie: grilling out, and shooting the breeze) is unlike any other establishment on the beach. We will definitely be staying here in the future. We HATED to leave, but we look forward to out future visit(s)!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Robert R

Another positive review. We appreciate it – thank you.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

I have stayed here about 4 times in the last year. It does not pretend to be a cookie cutter hotel, and it is not by any means. It is for those who will spend little time "in the room" and will be out and about most of the day. The beach is a 2 min walk..bars etc just as close. Beds are comfy and the shower pressure is good. (unit 2!!!) lol....And what makes it a cut above the rest..is the service. So friendly.. accommodating and sincere in a desire to provide great customer service. That is what has brought me back time and time again. I am already planning my next trip (from chicago) and I will not even bother look anyplace else than the Pelican Post. Do it!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank scoobi1959

Thank you for your positive review. The Pelican Post is glad you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you again - soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bradenton Beach
An Island Getaway at Palm Tree Villas
Tradewinds Beach Resort
Tradewinds Beach Resort
#4 of 9 in Bradenton Beach

Been to Pelican Post? Share your experiences!