Pelican Post
$175
$133
Groupon.com
$178
Queen's Gate Resort(Bradenton Beach)
$180
$135
  • Pool
Tradewinds Beach Resort(Bradenton Beach)
$263
Travelocity
Tortuga Beach Resort(Bradenton Beach)
TripAdvisor
Island Time Inn(Bradenton Beach)
TripAdvisor
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsfall breakold style motelfree bikestwo blocksbridge streetmin walkking studiowindow unitrestaurants and shopsper nightmain roadnext yearget awaypost officeperfect locationfull kitchenanna maria island is
Reviewed November 29, 2007

I wasn't sure what to expect but was very happy with the result. When I arrived, there was nobody in the office but a note on the door indicated which room I was to be in and if there was any problems a phone number was provided. I went to the room and found it to be extremely clean and tidy. For the price it is great as you have your own kitchen if you want to make your meals. The new LCD TV's add a new touch to a old style room. The building may look older but your not staying in a 5 star hotel and paying the 5 star rate!! I found it a short walk down to the beach which was perfectly OK with me. I never even needed to call the office during my stay. I would stay there again and will hopefully next time I am in the area.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled solo
1  Thank robb4640
Reviewed July 2, 2007

Our family used to stay at the Pelican Post every year for our vacation. Lois and Walter were wonderful hosts and kept the property up very nicely. Now that the kids have left home, we decided to revisit our favorite vacation spot. We were disappointed to find that there were new owners but made reservations. Upon arriving, things looked a little run down and the room wasn't as clean as it should be. There were remnants of 3 bars of soap in the shower stall soap dish which made us question the cleanliness of everything else. The mattress was very uncomfortable, the remote for the TV didn't work and all the drawers in the dresser were broken when pulled out. Although we had planned on staying for a week, we checked out the next morning and moved to a newer, cleaner motel. The new owners need to reinvest some money into keeping the place up. That is our last visit to the Pelican Post and can't really recommend it to friends who visit the beautiful beaches there.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank meldonOhio
Alastair_7, Owner at Pelican Post, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2007

We were sad to read the review submitted by meldon and I agree that old soap bars in the shower tray is totally unacceptable. Our regular housekeeper Shirley, usually works every day and I mean EVERY DAY, 365 per year!! The day meldon was due to check in Shirley had her second sick day in three years and our agency staff did match up to their hype. Still as a traveller or manager – this mistake was not acceptable.
Our beds have Serta Pillowtop mattresses and usually receive good reviews.
The broken drawer in the dresser must have been an inconvenience and was avoidable, but has since been repaired.
The broken TV remote has been consigned to the dumpster along with the TV. #3 now sports a brand new high def flat screen LCD TV.

We clearly dropped the ball with this guest and I would like to apologise to them. Read our other reviews and the overwhelming consensus is that we have a clean establishment.

I would like to add that they did not approach the duty manager (or anyone else) to allow us to rectify the problems or to offer them some kind of recompense. Had they informed us of the issues they were encountering and we had subsequently failed to rectify them, I could understand this bad review. Sadly however, the first we knew of any problems was this submission. A little unfair.

Alastair

Reviewed April 24, 2007

The Pelican Post is a wonderful and reasonably priced place to stay. Its location is convienent to good restaurants and shops, a VERY short walk to the beach. I have stayed there several times, both with family and friends, and will stay many more. Very clean.

Stayed: April 2007
3  Thank Floridagurl
Reviewed October 14, 2006

As the other reviewer's have mentioned, there's a lot to love about the Pelican Post. It truly is just steps from the beach on a quiet side street. My girlfriend and I stayed there Oct. 2006. In fact, we just got back today, and I couldn't wait to get out here and write this review! We booked the Pelican Post because of its trip advisor rating. There are other properties in this area, but due to their iffy ratings and price, we chose the Pelican Post.

This motel is not luxurious by any means, but it's perfect for people who want to stay close to the beach but can't afford to pay an arm and a leg for a room. The rooms were very clean and stocked adequately for our needs. There is no daily maid service, although you can request clean towels each day if you want them. My thought is, though, that I use the same towel for several days at home before washing it, so why should I need a clean one everyday at a motel. I'm clean when I use it! Maybe that's just me...

Our room was non-smoking (as they all are) and did have a little kitchenette and all the dishes/cookware were provided, even down to the salt and pepper. The owner was very nice and even allowed me to hook up my laptop in his office to check an emergency email, when he discovered that I don't have a wireless card. (The hotel apparently offers wireless internet access. Mr. Nicoll didn't charge me to hook up my laptop for a few minutes, either.)

Bradenton Beach itself, though very peaceful and not at all commercialized like so many others, is not the world's softest or prettiest beach. It has lots of sticks and rocks, and if you want to walk on the shore barefoot, you have to watch where you put your feet. Once you get away from the water and head back towards the road, be sure and put your shoes back on or you will step on sandspurs - ouch!

The only complaints I had about our stay were: 1) If there are people outside in the courtyard, you can hear everything they are saying if they are the least bit inclined to speaking a bit loudly. We had a very rude woman with a cell phone sitting out there speaking very loudly while my girlfriend and I were trying to nap. I don't think people realize how much you can hear. However, the rooms seem to be pretty soundproofed between the walls, as we heard none of the usual "hotel noises," such as the shower running, toilet flushing, etc, even though the rooms on either side of us were occupied.

2) The "famous" pier on the island was closed for repairs, and you can't even get close to look at it.

3) When we were trying to find something to eat about 3:30 Saturday afternoon, several of the restaurants near the motel appeared to be closed....we eventually had to drive back over the bridge and into town to eat. The Beachouse was open, but my girlfriend isn't into seafood.

If you can, have dinner at The Beachouse, which is, obviously, right on the beach and very near the Pelican Post. It has a great atmosphere, good food and drinks, and the person who correctly guesses what time the sun sets wins a bottle of wine. It's a great place to eat outside on the deck, listen to the waves, and watch the sunset.

Lastly, 4) especially on Fri and Sat nights, Gulf Drive, which you have to cross to get from the beach back to the motel, is VERY busy with traffic. You have to stand there for several minutes waiting to cross.

None of this, of course, is a direct complaint against the Pelican Post. It's a great motel, very quaint and "old Florida," very clean, quiet, and affordable.

Should we visit Bradenton Beach again, we would most definitely stay at the Pelican Post [""]!

• Stayed: September 2006
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank cebene
Reviewed July 23, 2006

This was our third stay at the Pelican Post Motel. After a 16 hour drive to get there we knew from the previous two other stays, Suite #2 would be just what we had expected. [We've also stayed in the Cottage and one of the one bedroom units] The Suite was clean with anything you would need during your stay there. The beds really are comfortable. This is truly a Motel where during your stay there, all you need to bring is a swim suit, suntan lotion, and a few outfits to wear to go out to eat or shopping!

There isn't maid service [which we liked!], but clean towels are delivered daily, and if you want or need extra blankets, sheets, pillows, etc... Alastair [the owner] is quick to bring it to you. There is plenty of closet space and chest of drawers. There is a shower outside to rinse off the sand from your return from the beach, along with plenty of outside seating as well as a bar-b-q grill for tenants to use.

The area is close to the beach, pier, shopping and resturants. A small convinence store is just down the street, but a larger grocery store [Publix], drugstore [Walgreens] and other shops are just a few miles down the road.

From our very first stay at the Pelican Post, we felt the area was safe and sat outside most nights well past midnight with our children and grandchildren. This stay wasn't any different! Locals and visitors alike are friendly and quick to wave and speak to you when you're setting outside.

The Pelican Post reminds us of 'old style Florida', so it not the 'fancy-smancy' type of lodging, but it's clean, close to everything, plus the Owner is super friendly and ready to make your stay there a great experience. We don't think you would find a better rate or nicer room anywhere on the Island.

We've loved our stays at the Pelican Post, and plan on staying there again next year!

• Stayed: July 2006