“LOVED THE LOCATION”

Queen's Gate Resort
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Bradenton Beach
“LOVED THE LOCATION”
Reviewed January 14, 2006

We stayed at the Queens Gate after Christmas. My wife and daughter loved being that close to the beach.My son and I found alot of nice golf courses in the area. We had a 2 bedroom place and it served are needs. It was clean. The staff was very helpful. We hope to return to Queen Gate again. Thank you max.....

• Stayed December 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Tampa
Reviewed October 17, 2005

We rented a room at the Queen's Gate Resort for the weekend so that I could participate in a beach volleyball tournament being held there. We arrived late Friday night (we had pre-arranged with the desk clerk for late check-in). She had graciously left our room unlocked and the key on the table, ready for our arrival.

The room is smaller than the usual Holiday Inn or Best Western sized room, but it was clean and uncluttered. It had been remodeled with fresh paint, new tile flooring, small but updated bathroom (we found it more pleasant to just leave the door open when on the commode), a queen-sized bed and the basic necessities of a weekend stay, including a coffee maker, small refridgerator, 2 sinks, cable tv, and a Murphy-style ironing board/eating table.

The rate was fair for what we got and the room was suitable for our needs; mostly as a place to sleep after spending a full day on the beach.

The "resort" is a bit of salesmanship puffery. I believe "Queen's Gate Motel" would be more accurate, but probably wouldn't help bookings very much. The design is obviously left over from a 50's motel, with parking right at your front door. However, the rooms are raised bungalo-style, which is nice. You don't have your front bumper right at your doorstep.

A wrap-around porch joins the front doors of the motel units and comes with 2 chairs and a small table in front of each unit. We were in Unit 2, which made for pleasant viewing of the people passing along the beach and the small 2-lane road that runs the length of the island. It would've been nice to eat out on the porch but unfortunately I was up at dawn and home at dusk so there wasn't much to see other than the sunset.

There is a pool, but I was on the beach all day and didn't get a chance to use it.

The beach is directly across the road, via a public walkway straight onto the sand. There are plenty of nearby restaurants, including a small beach grill place with fantastic stuffed shells and meatballs. My wife and I ate there every night for dinner. I can't remember the name, but it was the closest one due south of the motel, located in a little plaza before you get to the convenience store.

If I had to complain about something it would be 1) the mattress on the queen bed could be replaced with a newer one and 2) the curtain covering the front door's windows didn't quite curve enough to block out the view from outside.

I wouldn't recommend the 1-room units for more than a weekend stay (unless you're young and don't mind a bit of discomfort), but for what I needed the motel was suitable.

• Stayed August 2005
3 Thank TiredOldMan
Reviewed June 30, 2005

They are likely to charge your accounts after you leave, so if you stay, pay cash. We booked the room and called THE NEXT DAY to cancel, because of a job situation, with our reservation weeks away, and they refused to refund our deposit. We arrived at 1:30 (checkin was at 3:00) and payed the balance, and went to walk on the beach, as the room was not ready. When we returned at 3:00, the room was still not ready. This was very inconvenient, as our youngest daughter had become ill on the way down, and was becoming febrile. With a bit of pressure they stepped up their efforts. They were not friendly. Their gas grill was extremely filthy, and there were no utensils for cleaning it (if you plan to use it, bring foil).

After leaving, we found that they had charged our account, without any notification to us, several hundred dollars for alleged damage to a mattress. The mattress was already very much stained, as my wife had discovered while changing the sheets. The front door opened directly into the first (very small) bedroom, as an earlier posted noted.

• Stayed June 2005
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 1, 2005

Just returned from family vacation with my 3 brothers and husband. When I booked this property I specifically told Gordon that I required a 2 bedroom unit with living room. He advised 1st bedroom had 1 double bed and 2nd bedroom had a king bed (perfect for my over 6' brothers) and a pull out futon. When we arrived I was in tears...the first bedroom has a very small double bed..front door opens right into this bedroom..then a combination bedroom-living room and there was a small queen bed with futon..not the king that was promised. I found out that our neighbors were given the same story...2 bedroom with a king bed...they were lucky..they checked in first and were moved to the only king bedded accommodation.
So if you decided to book and you need a king bed be sure to confirm #10.
Also FYI there is only 1 bathroom and 1 closet for hanging clothes..

• Stayed February 2005
#1 of 12 in Bradenton Beach
Haleys Motel and Resort
Haleys Motel and Resort
#6 of 16 in Holmes Beach

Been to Queen's Gate Resort? Share your experiences!