“Amazing view on a beautiful beach, decent food.”
Review of Gulf Drive Cafe

Gulf Drive Cafe
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

When I go to the beach to eat and drink, I am not in a hurry but that's just me. If you are in a rush, why go to the beach? If you want to relax, enjoy the scenery, and eat on the beach, then you should stop in here. Food is decent. Nothing that will blow you away but sitting on the beach and eating makes the food better! Breakfast was pretty good, but the home fries/hash browns need work. All the servers we have had have always been pleasant, took pictures for us and were nice. Sunsets here are amazing! So relax, have a decent meal and enjoy what brings everyone to Florida, the amazing beaches!

1  Thank Mike H
There are newer reviews for Gulf Drive Cafe

Reviewed March 9, 2014

We stopped in for a early evening cocktail. Upon arriving, we saw one visibly irate employee slamming doors and running around outside. At first, we thought it was a customer who had too much to drink, bit then we realized it was an employee. We ignored this warning sign And went inside. Service was slow, and we were given our bill immediately after ordering two drinks at the bar. The bartender never stopped back to see if we wanted another drink and we had to flag down another bartender to pay our bill. All of the employees seemed to want to hurry the customers out, and it was only 8:30 on a Saturday night.

Generally speaking, we felt unwelcome and sensed that they didn't want us to be there. What a shame though - it's a beautiful location. I won't be going back.

1  Thank Jim R
Reviewed March 8, 2014

Based on some old reviews from guide books, we went here for breakfast on our first morning in Florida. The food was average although, in fairness, it's not easy to rave about a couple of over easy eggs, bacon and toast. The portions were more than adequate and the service was prompt and friendly. the best part of the experience was dining outside with a view of the Gulf and the beach.

Reviewed March 6, 2014

We went here on a weekday afternoon for lunch. This place is located right on the Guld of Mexico. The setting is spectacular. We were greeted at the front by a friendly lady who said we had 30-45 minutes to wait for a table for two. We were given a pager. We moved on down to the bar where we had seats overlooking a patio with tables and The Gulf in the background. Beautiful. A middle aged female bar tender eventually came over and seemed confused when I asked about one of her draught beers. She didn't know if it was a lager, ale, pilsner, etc. Then she said, rather doubtfully that it was an ale. I asked for and got a taste. It was an ale and I ordered it. It's rare that I would see a bar tender move so slowly. My wife and I joked that she must be a relative of the owners.
As we sat we could see two tables that were unoccupied on the patio. We assumed there wasn't enough staff to service all tables. 35 Minutes later, were seated at one of the empty tables!! We did not observe any additional staff.
Our server appeared and we ordered drinks and food. The prices are in line with other beach front restaurants but the portions are much more generous. I had the fish and chips which were excellent and my wife had the grouper which was not only delicious but almost more than she could eat. I have heard locals say the quality is not consistent here, but our food was perfect.
Incidently, we laughed when we were told that the female bar tender is the owner!
A great place for ambience. If you want to sit outside, you will be in the sun. There is seating in the shade at the bar and on an enclosed sun room.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

Little nostalgic for the cool little beachfront breakfast/lunch place that used to be in this spot (you can still see old place on the north side). Nice setting with palapa bar/restaurant. Loved the 'surfboard' shaped table overlooking the beach. Menu, food and price like most in area only waterfront/sunset place other that The Beachouse on Bradenton Beach.