“Nice dinner on the water”
Review of Rotten Ralph's - CLOSED

Rotten Ralph's
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed March 3, 2013

My wife and I finished kayaking around the pier and shore line and could see the restaurant from the water. After returning to our vehicle we drove to Rotten Ralph's for dinner. The waitress was very nice and eager to tell about the things to see on Anna Maria Island (our fourth island visit actually). We both enjoyed our meal and it was about what we expected from this type of establishment. I would return and have lunch as the view from the deck was wonderful, but better to see a full moon than a beach sunset. well trained staff, food was properly cooked and hot when delivered. Overall a pleasant surprise.

There are newer reviews for Rotten Ralph's

Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

We tried Rotten Ralph's for breakfast. We found this place to be better than we thought given some of the reviews. My husband had the eggs (over light) and cooked just right. I had pancakes and requested blueberries. They were delicious and the blueberries were fresh. Our waitress was really nice as was the rest of the staff. And you can't beat the atmosphere
----right on the pier. The prices were reasonable too. I highly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

A perfect morning for me is a walk on a beach on a sunny day that takes me to a interesting spot for breakfast. I am not a big chain type person and Rotten Ralph's was anything but rotten. Nice place to sip coffee and enjoy a nice breakfast.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

On the first night of our recent vacation on Anna Maria Island we were looking for a casual restaurant with parking, no wait and good food. We found that at Rotten Ralph's!! Although I had heard of Rotten Ralph's, we came upon it by accident when we were looking for a place to park. Since it had parking, we decided to go there and we were glad we did! The night was cool but not as cool as where we had come from so we decided to eat outside. We were the only brave souls out there so we had privacy and a great view. The food was great and the service was excellent. And it was not expensive either.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is the last outpost of Rotten Ralph's. The original location was on Key Royal adjacent to Galati's Marina, and at one point there was a landside location on Manatee Avenue East 2 miles west of I-75 in what had been a Winn Dixie strip mall at the time. However, the location of this "last man standing" is beautiful.

The resaurant is on the Bradenton Beach municiple pier, which in turn is on the Intracoastal Waterway between Anna Maria Island and the Village of Cortez. There is a deck at the rear of the restuarant that is simply wonderful. This is the place to dine here. Even in high summer, there's always a breeze, and much of the deck is shaded by a canopy, underwhich there are ceiling fans. Along with the usual soft drinks, Ralph's serves wine and beer at fairly reasonable prices.

The staff of servers is attentive and work hard to keep your glasses filled and the food transported to the table quickly. But the food remains the rub. It is simply not very consistent, and often below par.

For example, Ralph's is "famous" for the "all-you-can-eat" fish & chips for $10. The dish includes several large fish fillets (frozen fish is of course used at this price), homemade potato chips or fries, and tasty slaw. They will keep bringing food until you cry "no more." The problem is that you never know what type of meal you are going to receive. I have been to this venue with friends where we have had absulutely superb fish & chips. Crispy crust, moist and tender fish, and excellent sides. I was asked by my friend, "Where have youy been hiding this place?"
However, on other occasions the fish & chips were merely average, and on two occasions, verging on intolerable. It depends on when the oil in the deep fryer was last changed, how many filets the chef places in the oil at one time (too many will cause the temp of the oil to drop below 350 degrees, and the fish batter will beging to absorb oil rather than remaining cripsy).

Breakfast is usually the most reliable food here. But everything else seems to have wide swings of consistency. During one visit my wife ordered grouper ($18) for an entree, and had to send it back. It was "fishy" tasting. Grouper is supposed to have a very mild flavor. Salads and sandwiches are probably the best way to go for lunch and dinner, if you don't want to spin the wheel of fortune on the fish & chips.

Clearly the draw to this place is the location on the pier, where you are literally dining over the water, enjoying spectacular views of the yacht traffic on the ICW. It is a wonderful place to grab a cold beer or two and relax. Also, the restaurant had a policy of allowing diners to bring their dogs on the back deck. Many times we had met our friends here, who have a service trained greyhound, while we brought are well behaved pit-bull mix. Both dogs merely layed on their blankets under beside the table during dinner and didn't disturb anyone.

We enjoyed getting together at Ralph's with our four legged companions, and were rather surprised the restaurant had such a liberal policy about pets, because the pier itself doesn't allow dogs. However, the last time we were there, our waitress came over at the end of the meal and asked if we would first call in the future if we wanted to bring our dogs to make sure it was alright to do so. We were not quite sure what that meant, especially since my friend's greyhound is a service dog and is by law allowed in any resturant.

At any rate, the bottom line with Rotten Ralph's is that it an excellent place for a few beers, an appetizer, and sandwich or salad on the deck. Breakfast is also a safe bet. But you're rolling the dice when you order the fish & chips, and other entrees (which can be pricey). Then again, what can you expect from an establishment with this name? After all, it's not "Excellent Ralph's."

1  Thank John D