“Better than average, but overrated?”

Sabai Thai sushiRestaurant
Ranked #40 of 325 Restaurants in Boynton Beach
Cuisines: Sushi, Thai
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed October 12, 2013

The food is good and it is very busy so it clearly is popular, but does that make it excellent - I don't think so.

It all depends what you want. After all, it is quite small (7 booths, 4 or so group/communal tables and bar seating) and the decor is nothing to write home about. So, given the bustling, jostling atmosphere this is not a restaurant at which to dine out in any formal sense - it is more of a local cafe where it is the food that counts most.

And, the food is good. Actually, I started with a beef salad that was probably among the best of its kind that I have ever had - beautifully grilled beef with tangy accompaniments. And the red duck curry that I finished with was quite good, though marginally over-cooked and with too much sweetness in the curry sauce.

The main problem was that the Tom Kar Ghai soup that I ordered without mushrooms came with them swimming in the bowl. So, was this the fault of the server or the kitchen? One will never know.

So, given the soup order mess-up and the only quite-good duck, I could never rate this as an excellent cafe and it certainly is not an excellent restaurant in the dining-out sense. But it is definitely better than average and merits a repeat visit, though we shall be more careful to insist on double checking the order is correctly taken down and communicated.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

I have traveled the last seven years to Thailand, depending where you are, depends on the seasoning and ingredients used. I have two Thai professors from Phitsanaluk (mid section of Thailand) region, who have been visiting with me for the last couple of years. We have been going to Sabai for about two years. I visit Phitsanaluk on my way to the North - Lampang - with the elephants. The mahouts and their wives do the cooking where I stay. And I have to tell you Sabai is original Thai food. They will season to your liking - because if you did what they are accustomed to - the local fire department would not be able to help you with the fire in your mouth. To experience the way Thai's eat, order many things - soup, Papaya salad, chicken wings, and another one or two dishes - plai (fish) or gai (chicken) - have it all come at once and share. This is the way to eat. Also, no chopsticks please, Thai's eat with a spoon and fork. The spoon goes in the right hand, the fork in the left. The fork is used to "shoveling" the food onto the spoon, do not eat from the fork. This way you get all the fantastic juices that surround the food, which are just as important as the food itself. It's a great experience! Oh, and don't forget the Thai tea!!! Arroyy mak mak!! (Delicious, very).

1  Thank LeeBocaRaton
Reviewed August 26, 2013

A friend who lives in Boynton Beach and I went to this restaurant a few evenings ago, after having been a bit disappointed with another Thai restaurant in Boynton. I won't mention the name of the other restaurant, but I can tell you that the food is much, much better at Sabai Thai. We had the crispy duck curry and drunken noodles. While the service was acceptable here, it was not great. I hope to return soon.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

A wonderful meal with great food, great service, not rushed. Best Thai in the area without a doubt. Will definitely be back!

1  Thank 416Donna416
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Okay you're reading a review from a person that up until 3 months ago never had Thai food before. Since that time we have gone back 3 times. I do know good, tasty food. A gem in a strip mall (again) next to of all thing a pawn shop! But we had to try it because of the reviews of previous Tripadvisors. Glad we went and keep going. Let the waitress guide you and she will not disappoint. This is a place we will be back!