“If I lived near by.... I'd weigh 2,000 lbs”
Review of Smokin' Joe's BBQ

Smokin' Joe's BBQ
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Ok, we drove by this place heading south on Highway 17 at about . They already had the smoker that is in front of the building fired up and in full cooking mode. We could see the smoke from quite a distance and not to much further down the road the smell of the BBQ was off the hook. We went to a creek off of the Peace River for a day of fossil hunting. When done we made a "B" - Line right to Smokin' Joe's. This is a counter service restaurant but it had ample in side seating and a salad bar. The dining area was very clean and the fixing counter had plenty of condiments. We were kind of covered in mud from our fossil hunting so I placed our order and we at one of the picnic tables they had out front. I had the 9 inch Cuban. It was cut in 3 sections and had about 1/4 pound of pulled pork, good size portion of ham and swiss cheese, pickles, mustard and I added jalapenos to it. Danielle had the pulled pork combo. This sandwich was on one of the biggest buns i've see. It had to have at least 1/2 pound of lean pulled pork. It also came with 2 sides so we ordered to baked beans and cole slaw. Both were pretty tasty. They had Sweet, Tangy, Spicy and regular BBQ sauce. All were home made and very good. Even after a hard day of digging we were only able to eat 1/3 of my Cuban and 1/2 of the pulled pork along with the 2 sides. The rest will be for lunch today and we may still have some left overs. All of this plus 2 cans of soda for just about $15.00. Needless to say if i lived nearby this would be a frequent meal and I could easily gain 2,000 pounds.

1  Thank ericbreuer

Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

Went there a little late but the pork bbq was good the potato salad was fresh and ver good. The portions are big if its just the two of you order 1 sandwich. Try it i think you will like it. I will go there again.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

The outside of this building is a little creepy, which kept us from stopping in for months. Finally, we thought we'd give it a try and buy some carry-out .. and we were so glad we did! The food is really good. We bought a slab of BBQ ribs $21 and a pound of pulled pork $9. The portions were huge & we had many meals from this. The inside of the restaurant was not someplace that I would like to eat in, so that is why I gave this 4 stars instead of 5. Next time we are by Smokin Joe's, we will definitely stop in for carry out.

Reviewed February 12, 2014

I've eaten at quite a few BBQ places and saw this along the route back towards Ft. Myers and had to stop. First, the good: the price was reasonable for the amount of food served. The BBQ sauce was tasty, but no option offered for hot or mild, only one container of sauce on the table. Now the bad: Served in styrofoam carry-out cartons, some tables had multiple sauces and hot sauce, some did not, had to hunt around for a roll of paper towels and steal one from another table, garbage can near the door was OVERFLOWING with trash, atmosphere was dim and depressing. But the real kicker was the actual barbeque. My father and I both got the rib dinner. Though the portion was generous, the meat was NOT trimmed... TONS of fat and very greasy. some of the meat was overcooked and tough, and was not cooked with any sauce on it at all. Service was non-existant. Over a buck for a little can of soda. The sides were average, though the baked beans tasted like canned beans with some meat and sauce thrown in. Did not taste as though cooked from scratch. The potato salad tasted like the kind you buy at the Publix deli. Afterwards, my stomach was upset (too greasy meat) and had to pop some antacids. Would NOT go there again. They need to trim their meat better (even had the small, gummy bones intact) or maybe buy a better grade of ribs. Keep driving....

1  Thank Tishpit
Reviewed December 21, 2013

We were driving this road for the first time from Orlando to Naples....nowhere else to eat and that turned out well for us! Very basic interior, understaffed but friendly and polite. Very good deal and great big Bbq pulled pork sandwich. We are from North Carolina and this bbq compares very favorably. Choice of sauces. My husband liked the mustard based the best. No real lemons for iced tea. Clean. Everything served in styrofoam container; easy to carry out the leftovers.....and there will be some as the servings of meat are huge! The building and dining area reminded me very much of country places in Costa Rica.