“Home away from home” 5 of 5 bubbles

Rodes Fresh & Fancy
Ranked #83 of 192 Restaurants in Bonita Springs
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Waterloo, Canada
“Home away from home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

We recently spent a month in Bonita springs and this restaurant became a regular stop for us. The staff were friendly and very helpful amid the hustle and bustle of line ups and a full house most times we went. The bar seemed like a really fun place with many locals there. The atmosphere is somewhere in between dress up and casual.
The specials of the day were great and just the right amount of food with a small salad that didn't fill you up too much before the main course - sea bass that melted in my mouth, a local fish that comes in very rarely (I think it was Cobia) also superb. Their salmon became a repeated dish for us. And their key lime pie was nice and tart like I prefer it. In fact I would say it's the best I've ever had. They apparently make about 50,000 pies a year, supplying a number of restaurants in the area.
I look forward to going there many times again on my next visit.

• Visited February 2013

Saint Louis, Missouri
“Fish market is nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

We didn't eat in the restaurant, we got seafood to go from the seafood market right next door. Hubby had the shucked oysters on two different days. The do a really nice job of not only shucking them but giving you lemon, cocktail sauce and horseradish. He said the oysters were excellent.

We also purchased several pounds of boiled shrimp. They were wonderful, cooked just right. We bought their house made smoked fish dip. They had it as a sample that we tried and were surprised by how good it was.

They offer a lot of other items from fruit to desserts, jellies, home made breads etc. but we went for the seafood which was great!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Bonita Springs
“I won't be going back”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

The service and the attitude of the servers was very poor. They were friendly enough but they just did not care about providing a good experience. The food was cafeteria quality. The floor was dirty and the decor was tired. We were surprised that the dining experience was so poor when our experience with the fish store has been very good.

2 Thank BonitaFoodlover
Bonita Springs, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Highly disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

My husband and I went to Rodes this evening (April 4, 2013) and it was highly disappointing, to say the least. The restaurant was dirty, the waitress had somehow misplaced her book and therefore could not answer any questions about anything on the menu or provide a list of the specials for the evening. ( all the answers were in her book?) And the food was terrible. The Blackened Grouper was some sort of fish (not sure if it was even Grouper) with BBQ sauce. We have eaten a lot of Grouper in Bonita and often buy it fresh and grill it ourselves but I have never been more disgusted. Even a simple "house salad" was less than acceptable. If you want a plate of lettuce with one tomato wedge then Rodes is the place. We support all the local eateries in the Bonita Beach area but this is not one I will be returning to and highly recommend that you don't waste your money.

1 Thank EMH5185
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Underwhelming.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

I had heard good things about this restaurant. The service was excellent. The food sub-par. I ordered blackened grouper. It looked like a thin flounder filet. The taste was OK but not great. The onion rings are better at Friendlys. But, the Yungling beer was good. Won't go back
Lal