“Authentic, but food was hit or miss.”

Tortilleria La Rancherita
Ranked #82 of 218 Restaurants in Bonita Springs
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

Had lunch here today and we were both pleased and disappointed by our food. Our carnita tacos were among the best we've ever had: the pork was lean and juicy and the corn tortillas were steamed perfectly. My delicious carne y carnita quesadilla was small by American standards but packed with meat and authentic queso blanco instead of cheddar. We also had a beef tamale and a chicken tamale but sadly, they were the worst we've ever had from a restaurant. They were prepared sloppily - the meat appeared to have been added as an afterthought. The masa was so dry and bland we assumed the tamales had been frozen and reheated when we ordered them. Everything was affordable but not the super cheap bargain that would have us returning every other day for more. Inside it's a nice little place with a jukebox, fooseball, and tv's showing fun mariachi music videos.

1  Thank GlobalVagabonds

Reviewed March 1, 2013

We went to Tortilleria La Rancherita expecting excellent Mexican food at a reasonable price. The food was nowhere near excellent in my opinion. I ordered the Camarons (shrimp) dinner at $10.99. The 13-15 shrimp were good quality served on rice and of all things french fries and a bit of lettuce with two tomato slices and lime. The tomato slices seemed to have been frozen because they were mealy and soggy. Rice was acceptable. I expected beans as an accompaniment like my husband had with the steak fajitas he ordered. His beans were good as were the fajitas, but not top notch. When we arrived we were served tortilla chips (a little greasy) along with two quite good salsas. Everything was served on picnic plates with plastic utensils. The restaurant could get away with this if the food was really excellent. We toyed with thinking that if we went back we would just order a taco or enchillada, but we will not go back. The floor was dirty also.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

I don't know where most of the reviewers got their information! Did they even eat there? Food was okay, pretty spicy, but that's the best thing I can say about the whole experience! Meal was served on a ripped off half of a styrofoam container, with plastic utensils. Bathroom was very dirty, and the patrons looked downright scary! One family pulled up outside, probably lured by tripadvisor, like we were, took a look at the hoods hanging around outside, and zoomed off! It was far from cheap, 12 bucks with a drink for something with 5. If you have to go, order takeout, and eat at a park or your condo!

Reviewed February 2, 2013

Our favorite Mexican restaurant always has great food, service and value. We seem to end up there twice a week minimum although I couldn't find it 5 years ago when somebody tipped me off about this place. Owner is friendly and involved. Service is prompt and the price is a great value. See you there-close to Sherwin Williams on Old 41.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

We received a recommendation while back in Massachusetts about this place and decided to seek it out on our next trip to Florida. We're so glad we did. The food was incredible, all homemade and made to order. The owners (husband and wife) were so nice. We had a lot of questions about some of the different dishes and they took the time to describe them for us and never made us feel as if we were bothering them. In fact by the time we left I almost felt like we were old friends. The restaurant was very casual and there is a store on the other side where we bought a few things as well. I will absolutely go back on my next visit to FL. If you want a GREAT authentic Mexican meal at a great price, while supporting a local small business with a hardworking family...... this is the place.