“Downhome Food and Atmosphere”

Buffalo Chips Restaurant
Ranked #32 of 195 Restaurants in Bonita Springs
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch
western mass
“Downhome Food and Atmosphere”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Buffalo Chips was recommended to us by a SouthWest airline employee who lives in Estero.
She told us it is a local favorite - very casual, very good food, service and pricing - Monday is .60 wing night. Since my husband loves wings, had to try it. I read a prior review that a couple waited over an hour to be seated when groups of 3-4 and more were seated before them. When we went, it was early enough that the 2 of us did not experience this, but I can see how this happens since most patrons come in groups of 4 or more. That aside, the food and service we've experienced on 3 visits has been very good.
The wings come in various flavors, heat levels, etc and served piping hot. Everyone who has had them declares them among the best they've had. Since I'm not a wing afficionado, I've had the grouper fingers (lightly dusted) and buffalo chips (sliced potatoes) as well as the fish tacos. Everything was very good, fresh and served as if right out of the oven - rare for me to be served my food so hot, but this is how I prefer it.
Happy hour beer was $2.50 and my glass of acceptable wine was $3.50 - 2 beers, 2 glasses of wine, grouper fingers with buffalo chips, 6 wings and a taco salad totaled $39. - a bargain in this tourist area in season.
There are specials for each day of the week and a guitarist providing entertainment on Mondays.
He was quite popular and even though we were seated close enough that we could not really talk above the music level, we enjoyed having the entertainment.
Our servers have always been friendly and efficient and do a great job of keeping track of who ordered what and preparing separate cks.
Overall, I'd say this place is worth a visit. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but if you just want some reasonably priced, good food in a casual atmosphere, ck it out!

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank camillealice

West Chester, Pennsylvania
“Great BBQ and Wings”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We arrived hungry on a Saturday night a little after five PM. The restaurant was crowded but we were seated right away in a table for two. There are several small tables and benches around. The waitress came by and took our drink order and returned with our drinks and took our dinner order. She was very pleasant and helpful since it was our first time there. Saturday night was the baby back rib special so we had to try them. We also read about the famous wings so we ordered some wings with hot sauce. We had the fries, Cole slaw and a baked potato as sides. After a short wait, our dinners came out. We split the ribs and wings portions. While we were waiting for our dinners, a party of 4 was seated next to us. We heard the waitress tell them they were out of the baby backs. It was maybe 5:30 at the latest. We thought we were lucky to get there when we did. Back to the food, the wings were piping hot right out of the fryer and served with a very delicious hot sauce! The ribs were warm/cool with just the right amount of BBQ sauce, just to flavor. The ribs were very delicious and tender. I thought they had the right amount of smoke and my wife said they were little bit too smoked for her but she enjoyed them. (more for me!). It was a great dinner for under $30, including drinks! We will be back! There were several delicious dishes coming out of the kitchen other than ribs and wings that we saw while waiting that we will have to try during later visits.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank 2RVers
Portland, Oregon
“Best. Reuben. Ever. And cheap beer! So-so staff, though.”
Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

This place was hoppin' when we came for dinner tonight - it was karaoke night and everyone was having a great time. Got rubbed kinda wrong after being told there weren't any tables available so we'd have to wait for one. No biggie, but ten minutes later we're still waiting and a couple walks in and immediately gets offered seats at the bar. Had to wait another five before we got our own...not cool. Other than that, all was well: my Boar's Head reuben was in-freakin'-credible and my better half's haddock fish n' chips special was equally good. Both were priced well for the huge portions and $2.50 for a mason jar of amber ale was my kind of price. Got onion rings, too, but they were a bit on the greasy side and more breading than onion. Our server was nice and attentive and the atmosphere fun and divey - couldn't ask for a much better experience save for the inattentive hostesses.

1 Thank GlobalVagabonds
Denver, Colorado
“Couples (& tourists?) are second-class”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We went last Tuesday for the live music, got there 6:28, and were told it'd be a 30-35 minute wait. We were finally seated an hour and 25 minutes later! Once seated, I understood the delay; there are no tables for 2 in the restaurant. There's one booth for 3, and the rest is 4 and above. Apparently, they follow a "more mouths means more money" policy. Many foursomes who came in after us were seated before us.
The insult was compounded when, after more than an hour, a threesome (obviously locals) came in, waited about 5 minutes, then were seated before us!
The reception lady was obviously embarrassed but "just following orders."
And to top off the outrageously offensive evening, the musicians were in the other room--couldn't hear them, could barely see them. All this for so-so food? Never again.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank Doug P
Fort Myers, Florida
“The Only Thing Keeping This Place Open Are The Wings”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I find myself returning to this shack in the middle of a low-income section of Bonita Springs. The traffic aplenty, the homeless are always looking for a handout, and the trailer park behind the motel on Old US 41 sums up everything I've said about Bonita Springs. That is, until you step foot inside Buffalo Chips Restaurant.

Decorated with license plates from every state on the inside, Buffalo Chips is the little biker bar turned tourist trap serving some of the best chicken wings in Southwest Florida. If you can get past some of the attitudes from the servers who work here, especially during the day, and just concentrate on the wings, you'll find yourself coming back to this place over and over again.

My favorite staple at this greasy feeding trough are the 10 wings tossed in their secret-blend medium sauce. I'm almost afraid to ask what's the "secret" seeing how this place went down hard in a drug bust a few years ago. But, whatever that "secret" is, I think the local DEA officers need to come down and run lab tests because their wing sauce is addicting.

The clientele can be a little rough, but they're a friendly group of people. They are a rather unique group of socialites who welcome you into their conversations. So, if someone sitting across from you at the bar is staring you down as your face is covered in the "secret" wing sauce, they're more than likely wondering how you're enjoying the wings. Don't be afraid to smile with some chicken wing meat stuck in between your teeth and say, "Hi!" as you're wiping the liquid crack-cocaine that is their sauce from off your face and fingers.

The beer is cold and there's plenty to go around. If you're not a beer drinker, then that's your problem, their Pepsi products are cold, as well. There's karaoke on Friday nights, though, this will be the only night you don't want to hear low-income trailer trash singing "Achy Breaky Heart" in the key of "the unknown." But, if you have assimilated to the lower class way of living and find yourself reaching for white trash stardom, then this is the place for you. Pick out a song from the book, grab the microphone, and hope that Simon Cowell doesn't hear your howling from Hollywood.

Will I be back here again? Absolutely. Who knows? Maybe you'll even hear me sing some ungodly country tune off-key while holding an ice cold bottle of Bud Light in one hand, a microphone in the other, and some wing sauce smeared all over my face. And, for the tourists, welcome to Southwest Florida and welcome to Bonita Springs....home off Buffalo Chips Restaurant. :)

• Visited February 2013