All reviews cheeseburger in paradise old florida dock master water tower cabbage patch nature trail punta gorda dollar bill shrimp salad key lime pie doll house only accessible by boat triple tail gopher tortoises the cottages stone crab pine island
Reviewed February 3, 2014

The restaurant on Cabbage Key can get between 6-800 visitors a day during peak time. Most just come to the famous restaurant for lunch and dinner and thus most of the reviews here are about the dining experience with far fewer guests staying overnight and reviewing the accommodations. And so this review is written from the perspective of experiencing the whole Cabbage Key experience. But, this is where it becomes a challenge to review the lodging as it feels like I am sharing a secret that I shouldn’t be sharing (that staying on the island is awesome) and because I kind of want to keep it to myself! I wonder if others who have stayed overnight also feel the same way and they decided not to write a review in hopes of keeping it a secret. Even the website does not do justice to the accommodations – only showing an exterior view of each cabin/house. I was reassured that even if I reveal how great a place to stay this is, the owners are committed to keeping the island the way it is in all its old Florida charm and quaintness.

We stayed in the Tarpon Cottage for four nights– a wonderful, light, bright, simple but very clean two bedroom cottage which included a well equipped kitchen. We peeked into the Dollhouse and the Cabbage Patch and found both of these to also be just as clean and comfortable. We could sit inside in the living room, on the screened porch or out on the dock and watch the water, sunsets and the boats and dolphins go by. What more could you want!? Soap, shampoo, and lotion are provided. Some people might want room service, strong water pressure or water you can drink out of the tap – well you won’t get that here – but who’s complaining? (I would suggest that the website perhaps let visitors know for certain if they can or can’t drink the water out of the tap as it isn’t clear. We read a previous review that suggested bringing water if you are staying, which we did, and then we were told by someone on staff that we could probably drink the water but they wouldn’t advise it as it is well water. We did drink it – it was a little brackish but we were fine.) My only other lodging comment – I’m not sure I would want to stay in one of the 6 rooms in the main house as you would hear noise from the restaurant and they seem mighty snug!

As far as the eating – we had attentive service (but we also weren’t there when it was crowded) the food was good and you get a lot for the price – AND the dinner rolls were really really good! For breakfast we really enjoyed the blueberry pancakes and scrambled eggs – but found that some days the portion size changed considerably. If you bring food and use the kitchens you can save some money or enjoy the restaurant and bar - whatever you wish!

The island is wonderful to explore and kept very natural - with birds and other critters in abundance. Going in January meant few bugs and we beat the busiest time of year. Communication/booking with the Cabbage Key staff was easy and helpful as it was with Island Girl Charters and Pine Island Taxi which made it easy and convenient to get to Cabbage Key from the airport. A special shout out to Tim and Brian on the boat who were really informative and friendly. We can’t wait to go back and hope to make it a yearly event!

Room Tip: Make sure you take a flashlight for your walk back to your cabin at night.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
7  Thank thewilsonswanderings
cabbage_key, Guest Relations Manager at Cabbage Key Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay in the Tarpon Cottage. It sounds like you had a wonderful trip and the pics you posted were amazing! Hope to see you again!

Reviewed January 24, 2014

This is not your spot. If your looking for a memorable little burger joint like no other in a location like no other, this is your spot. Never stayed in the cabins but they look great. I'm always tempted to ditch the family for a week of solitude.....Hemingwayesq I guess.
Love this place.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank homebody12

We are happy that you enjoyed your visit! Come stay with us sometime. Our cottages sleep anywhere from 2 - 8 people. Some have kitchens and docks. From here you can easily get over to Cayo Costa by boat or kayak and enjoy the beach. Give us a call when you are ready to get away! See you soon!

Reviewed January 14, 2014

I think I finally figured out why these people have no concept of customer service... there's nothing else around where you can take your boat, dock and have a lunch or dinner. Staff is rude and people keep coming! I am guilty myself of giving a terrible review and then came back yet again 2 days ago for overnight docking and dinner and breakfast.
On my previous review I mentioned that they don't provide French fries with their cheeseburgers because they don't want to be bothered and it's easier to get some chips out of a bag. I have a correction to make... it's not chips, it's potato salad. It still shows how they don't want to be bothered working to please. A better example might be their breakfast. All egg orders are comprised of only one choice: scrambled eggs, that's it, no fried eggs or any other form, just whatever is easiest for THEM! This pretty much sums up their attitude. These people have no notion of customer service and apparently don't have to since there's nothing else like it around and people keep coming!
I love to visit Cayo Costa once a year by boat and since Cabbage Key is so close we sometimes stop there for food and docking. That's the ONLY reason we stop there: Cayo Costa State Park and taking a break from hiking.

Room Tip: Don't go there is the best tip I can think of.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank charles a

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent visit to Cabbage Key. I am sorry that Cabbage Key does not meet your expectations. As per my response to your review in May, 2013, we do not serve fries or chips - we never have for 35+ years - we only serve potato salad or coleslaw. It is not that we do not want to be bothered - this is our menu, and this is what we serve. Our eggs are scrambled - they are clearly listed on the menu as Three Eggs Scrambled. Again, as per my response to your review in May, 2013, we do have all of our menus posted on our website so our guests know what to expect when they arrive. Again, thank you for your review and sorry that we do not meet your expectations.

Reviewed December 24, 2013

My wife and I needed a little getaway before the holidays so this is the place to come to get away from the crowds. We rented a boat from Action Boat Rentals and spent two relaxing days here. We stayed in the "dollhouse". This small cabin is a reminder of old time Florida. It was very comfortable, clean and private. The staff was very helpful during our stay and went out of their way to make sure we were happy. We ate in the restaurant 3-4 times and the food was very good as usual, the menu is limited but ample. Our experience was very good and I'm sure we will be back. (we've eaten at the restaurant since the late 80's many times)

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay in our Dollhouse Cottage. Early December is a great time to come to Cabbage Key and avoid the crowds. Renting a boat is a great way to visit the barrier islands and beaches in the area. Thank you again for sharing about your visit and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed December 13, 2013

Friends were visiting from Washington DC and we decided to rent a boat from Jensen's on Captiva and boat out to Cabbage Key for lunch. Had a wonderful day. I had not been to the restaurant in probably 15 years. It is a unique place, just as I remembered. We were in the mood for burgers and ate outside and enjoyed the food and views. The dock master was a young man who was very helpful and pleasant. I would recommend visiting. My friends were talking about coming back and renting a cottage at some point.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Marilyn B
cabbage_key, Guest Relations Manager at Cabbage Key Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2014

It is nice to read that you and your friends had an enjoyable day on the water visiting Cabbage Key. Cabbage Key has probably not changed much in the past 15 years...but, all of the accommodations have been updated and remodeled. Have your friends give us a call to check dates and reserve! Come see us again soon!