“Bring bug spray!!!”
Review of Cabbage Key Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bokeelia
Cabbage Key Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Bokeelia B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I had heard so much about Cabbage Key from friends so while we were staying on Captiva Island we took a boat tour to the island and spent a few hours there. The island has no beaches, is densely covered with native vegetation and has lots of native mosquitoes making our island walk fast and short! I was lucky to see some orchids in bloom and a tortoise strolling along the path but since I was fighting the pesky bugs my enjoyment was stifled. I had thought that I might want to spend a few days on the island but I have decided that I have been there and done that and don't need to return. I can get the same experience in the wonderful Florida State Parks with less bugs.
After our walk my husband and I had lunch in the Cabbage Key Inn, a quaint old building with no air conditioning but screened in with a nice view of the "jungle" habitat. It was oppressively hot that day and even with ceiling fans blowing we were melting. The service is quite slow but friendly. The food is basic at best, lots of fried options and burgers. I opted for the black bean soup which was quite good but not so good that I would want to stick around in this heat. Maybe it would be a nice place to visit in the winter, not in August!

Room Tip: Don't go in August, it is too hot and buggy!!! But if it is this crowded in August, I can't...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kelleygirl2
cabbage_key, Guest Relations Manager at Cabbage Key Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

Thank you for writing about your recent visit to Cabbage Key. I am sorry to hear that "our" mosquitos changed your mind about staying with us overnight. Being dense foliage, our walking trail can be a bit "buggy" - but, our cottages on the water are really enjoyable. I wish our food would have appealed to you - we do post our menus online so guests know in advance what we serve. I do have to add that we do not serve fried food! We serve potato salad or coleslaw as our side dishes - no French fries here!! Thank you again for your review and I hope you will give us another try...perhaps in the cooler weather and thanks for adding the awesome pics!

Reviewed September 28, 2013

Tracy helped us all get just the right tee's and shirts for our magnificent first trip to Cabbage Key. Not only was she one of the nicest sale persons I have ever met but had an incredible "eye" for finding just the right color and style combination for everyone in our boat party.
FIVE STARS for TRACY!!!.....TJ

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
cabbage_key, Guest Relations Manager at Cabbage Key Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2013

I am so happy to hear that Tracy gave outstanding service and was accommodating to your group! I am going to pass along your kind words to Tracy and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

We chartered a boat in Sarasota and were strongly recommended to check out cabbage key. The resturant / bar was very good. Beer was cold, steak was excellent, and the atmosphere was laid back. We stayed on the boat, so we didn't try the rooms, but they looked to be nice. Ate breakfast the next morning and the pancakes were very good. To the young women we met at the bar, nextime we will get the pyramid on film! Would defanitely recommend stopping in.

• Stayed: September 2013

Thank you for writing about your recent visit to Cabbage Key. We have transient dockage available - which includes electricity and shower facilities for transient dockage guests. We do serve a hot breakfast every morning, lunch all day and dinner starts at 6:00 pm. Our bar is open everyday and the beer is always cold. Thanks again for visiting and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed September 24, 2013

This surprising getaway was a wonderful find. The dinners were the best 5 star seafood meals we ever had. And soo beautiful. Watching gopher tortoises fight was a real hoot. The staff were very friendly and bent over backwards for anything we needed. This is my favorite escape anywhere in Florida. It was like going to the Bahamas, but staying in the states.

Room Tip: Staying in the main Inn is more convenient access to the bar and restaurant than being in the separa...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

It was nice to read that you had such a nice visit on your surprise getaway and I am going to let the chef know that you enjoyed your dinners! We hope that you will come visit again.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

My wife and I needed a weekend getaway so we decided to spend the night at the lodge in Cabbage Key. I was worried that the rooms would be small and dated, but was surprised by a roomy, well-appointed room with a beautiful view of Pine Island Sound. The period photos and fireplace take you to a different time, but the AC was welcome in July.

Dinner at the lodge was perfect, Grouper Francaise with a nice Pinot Grigio and great service from the staff. We enjoyed coffee on the water tower and then a delicious breakfast the following morning before heading onto the water.

Thanks to J-Mee and your friendly accomodating staff, wonderful visit and a great way to recharge the batteries.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Gary G
cabbage_key, Guest Relations Manager at Cabbage Key Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent overnight at Cabbage Key. I'm glad you were able to recharge your batteries! I have passed along your kind words to J-mee and the entire staff. Thank you again and we hope to see you soon!

Reviewed September 6, 2013

For a tiny little place that depends on TOURISTS to stay alive, you'd think the person who's responsible for delivering the first impression of the place would be a little more gracious and welcoming. Instead, we were made to feel like like unwelcome idiots. We rented a boat from our resort specifically to visit this place. I fully admit that I am no boating expert; far from it. When we were docking, I was unlucky enough to be standing closest to the Dock Master at one point (my boyfriend, who is a licensed boater, was a few steps away) and I apparently committed the offense of the century when I didn't know precisely what he meant by "Give me the right cleat." He rolled his eyes, shook his head and said with an exasperated tone of utter disgust, "Seriously?! Nevermind, I'll do it... seriously."

I'm sure all the salty locals love to get a laugh at all the "stupid tourists and boat renters" but they should remember that we idiot tourists are the ones pumping our hard-earned dollars into that place. I was really looking forward to coming here and my first impression of the entire island was getting belittled and made to feel stupid. We still tipped the Dock Master very well despite his rudeness because we're not a bunch of a-hole city slickers, despite what he probably assumed about us based on my lack of boating expertise.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mademoiselle_H
cabbage_key, Guest Relations Manager at Cabbage Key Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

On behalf of the management at Cabbage Key, I am sorry and disappointed that this was your first and outstanding impression of Cabbage Key. We want all of our guests to feel welcome and clearly we failed. I am passing along your comments to our General Manager so he can address the issues you experienced. Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience and I hope you will give us another try.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

After a cold and snowy winter in the Northeast this is a great place to visit. Love the nature trails going though out the island. Visiting the land turtles is a great treat too. If you are coming for a quick bite to eat you are going to the wrong place. This place is a take you time kind of place. We also slept at the Inn. And having a drink out by the dock with my husband when the island is at a slumber is the best its old Florida feel for the rooms is relaxing. There are no TV's thiSeeing Cabbage Key at night is the only way to go. If you dock your boat ..BEWARE of the sea otter that will visit your boat. He is kind but is like a pirate..likes to look for food. :)

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Justine B

I am happy to hear that you got to experience Cabbage Key overnight. The Island is different at night. Gone - are the throngs of people, it gets a little quiet (Except for holidays!) and it feels like it is your own private island. "Our" Otters are sneaky little creatures. You will hear them before you see them (they kind of chirp like birds!) so, make sure your hatches are locked....they WILL take your food, bait, and fish! Thank you again for writing about your recent stay and we hope to see you again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bokeelia
'Tween Waters Island Resort & Spa
#5 of 19 in Sanibel Island
Castaways Cottages of Sanibel
Castaways Cottages of Sanibel
#10 of 19 in Sanibel Island

Been to Cabbage Key Inn? Share your experiences!