“Great Chinese!!!!!!”

Mr Shen's Peking Chinse Restaurant
Ranked #260 of 843 Restaurants in Boca Raton
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed June 22, 2014

This is a great place. The food is always fantastic. Most of the chinese places in South Florida are awful! I have dealt with the owners for many years now and they always treat me nice. The worst thing about this place are the customers! Never in my life have I encountered such a rude, whiney, pushy, nasty, ugly, obstreperous, and cantankerous group of old farts! However this should come as no surprise since "Cemetery Village" is right up the road! It can get crowded at times and the old farts always take forever to do something as simple as paying their check! Truth be told at times I have wished that I brought a samurai sword with me when I am picking up my take out!

Reviewed March 9, 2014

There I was one night thinking about dinner when I realized that I wanted Chinese. It didn't even have to be perfect. I wanted greasy sweet & sour chicken and that was my mission. I found Mr. Shen's on Yelp. It is located on the SW corner of Lyons and Glades. It's next to a dry cleaner, which is convenient also.

Upon walking in, I was greeted by someone. I requested a take-out menu. I asked for a recommendation, other than what I wanted. Come on, you know you're going to have leftovers, so why not order something extra? The gentleman at the front recommended the spicy chicken with orange flavor. It came with a soup, rice and roll. I got the egg roll, fried rice and vegetable soup. I also ordered the sweet & sour chicken and a small order of vegetable lo mein.

It took about 15 minutes for them to prepare my order. Meanwhile, I sat there listening to the gentleman at the front (maybe the owner?) and a server having a conversation with one of the customers who came in to order food. They were very amusing to say the least. I can't remember the last time when I heard political banter between a few people amuse me as they did. Of course, I wasn't really supposed to be listening to their conversation, but I was sitting right next to them. I couldn't really help it. This is my kind of place. :-)

I started with the egg roll. I dipped it in the sweet & sour sauce. Wow, best egg roll I've ever had! I'm not exaggerating. Normally, I go for the spring rolls because you never know what you're going to get. However, I decided to gamble and won this time. Then, I moved on to the orange chicken with broccoli and bits of mushroom. The sauce was somewhat sweet, but not spicy. The broccoli was crunchy. Then I tried some of the fried rice, which was bland.

I moved on to what I went there for in the first place, the sweet & sour chicken. This was pretty good. The breading was a bit bland also. Of course, then again, it could have been me. I don't have the least bit of doubt in my palate though.

The vegetable lo mein was awesome. The vegetables were crunchy and the noodles were perfectly cooked. I actually couldn't eat anymore after this and had the soup the following day. The vegetables in the soup were also surprisingly crunchy! I don't even like cabbage, but it was delicious!

I wasn't looking for perfect or even extremely authentic. I just wanted some down and dirty American-Chinese. This place completely fulfilled my wish. I will definitely return here in the future.

Reviewed February 20, 2014

We had not been here for a long time and decided to try it again. Our server was very nice. However, the food is overpriced, bland, and the portions are skimpy. We will not return.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

I went here with my brother who lives in New York City. He thought it was expensive even by Manhattan standards and that the quality wasn't there. The sauces were very sweet,even the spicy ones.
On the plus side, they do have a vegetarian fake meat menu.
The staff was very friendly. The early bird dinner is served until closing .No lines

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Run by a family with 2 servers the restaurant serves good food. Very aged diners along with families. Fresh ingredients and very reasonable prices.