“OK, nothing special”

Ranked #11 of 27 Hotels in Boca Raton
Staten Island, New York
“OK, nothing special”
Reviewed March 30, 2010

We stayed here last week to attend a family function, so we had 3 rooms in total. The service was pleasant and helpful. The restaurant food was surprisingly good (if a bit overpriced, which is to be expected in a hotel restaurant). The cocktail hour was disappointing - limited drinks, and the only snacks were popcorn and chips. I've had much better ones at other Embassy Suites. For some strange reason the gift shop was closed between 1 and 5 pm which I found odd. The free internet kiosk in the lobby seemed to block many applications (like Facebook) and was very slow. The gym had some good equipment, but only 2 elliptical machines.

While it appears to be more business oriented, I found the "happy hour" to be more family oriented. It was like the hotel couldn't make up it's mind if it's primarily for families or business, although the location screams business.

While the literature in the room claims all Embassy Suites have wet bars, our rooms only had a microwave on a high shelf over the small fridge. The only sink was in the bathroom, which was an adequate size. There is an armoire in lieu of a closet, which was fine, and adequate dresser drawer space. Both rooms had flat screen TV's with a good assortment of channels, including MSNBC and Comedy Central as well as HBO.

Soda machines were out of water and gobbled up money, but when I went to the desk to try to get my money back, the pleasant clerk gave me several bottles of water so I really could not complain. The staff overall was pleasant and helpful.

There is free self parking as well as valet for a fee (although I cannot fathom why someone would pay to have their car parked when they can park in the same lot for free). There are fast food and minor shopping options within driving distance, but without a car it would have been rather isolating, and not near anything interesting.

My issues were a skimpy happy hour and poor internet options. It's a tossup whether I'd recommend it - we used Hilton points and only stayed for a few nights, so it worked out fine for us, but for anything besides visiting friends/relatives or area business, I can't see the appeal. So I guess I'll say I would recommend within those parameters if you use points or get a good rate.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Nassau, New York
Reviewed January 13, 2010

We stayed here with friends on New Year's Eve so we could party and not drive. This is our third stay at this hotel and would go back. We had a nice dinner at the restaurant and and a nice breakfast. The staff was helpful and service good. The rooms were clean. We didnt use the pool this time but we have in the past and it was very nice

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
pa
Reviewed January 5, 2010

Overall my stay was alright. We were in town to see family and arrived late. My first experience with the front desk did not go very well. We are Hilton Honors members and had requested a high floor room. The front desk agent handed me our keys and stated we would be on the 4th floor. I then stated that we had requested a high floor to which she replied, "We don't have now and had you called up a few weeks in advance we could have done you a favor and put you high up. At least that is what I like to do when I get the calls" I explained I had requested this when I made the reservation months in advance to which she replied, "We don't have anything now it is busy but we can always move your room if something becomes available." This was not an option as we were traveling with 4 kids and staying for a week.

Anyway, the room was nice but the door stuck. You had to pull it tight to make sure it shut and if you did not the door would be left open. The room was plain but clean. On our second morning there we went down and found all of the lug nuts had been removed from our Suburban and then they were thrown about everywhere. The people that had done that had then put the covers back on the wheels, luckily for us one of the covers fell off and we noticed. The hotel staff were very helpful in locating them and putting them back on for us. They did not however notify the police nor did they look at their cameras (to my knowledge!). The breakfast was extremely busy but good. They clear your table as quick as you finish a plate of food.

The pool area was clean and well maintained. My kids enjoyed it and there were plenty of towels. Many people were swimming despite the cooler temperatures and staff were constantly resupplying towels!

I would stay there again because it is close to my family and friends.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Medford, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 4, 2010

Stayed here because of a wedding nearby. Overall, great stay. Super comfy king bed. Being able to sit at a table in your room and eat dinner is a huge plus. We were told that the hotel was conveniently located to many local attractions, which is true, if you have a CAR! We decided not to rent a car. Luckily, the front desk staff was kind enough to have the hotel shuttle get us to the places we wanted to go. A couple of issues: Internet costs $10/day, and it's not very fast (but fast enough for Netflix); and, the TV remotes are not very responsive (it takes a couple of pushes to get the channels to change).

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
ohio
Reviewed December 30, 2009

Stayed here for three nights post cruise with my husband, mother and three sons. First off the staff was friendly upon our arrival and allowed us to check in at 11 am. We found the room to be very spacious and very clean. The pool area was nice, but do note there are only a few hours a day that it is in the sun - and it took a lot of chair shifting to stay in the sun. The work out area was fantastic - lots of equipment, free weights and even exercise balls. Also a nice scale to use to check your luggage for weight limits.

The managers reception was standard - but bartender was friendly and drinks were pletiful. The breakfast was fabulous. Cooked to order omelettes, eggs, pancakes and bacon.

There are a lot of dining locations near by - would need a car though. Beach access easy too. There was a business center and then kiosk with free internet. I opted to pay for wireless access at 9.99 a day and found it to work perfect in both room and by pool.

I would stay here again - and at a rate less then 100 a night - the six of us got our money's worth!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Connecticut
Reviewed December 28, 2009

We've stayed in many Embassy Suites, and this was by far the worst managed one. The suites were not kept up (our first one leaked, second one had broken switches on 2 of the lamps). Breakfast lines were horrendous, and they rushed you out of the dining room. The were not courteous at all - in fact down right rude. At first I thought it was a fluke, but then I realized it is just the way this hotel is managed. We stayed for a week, several times the housekeeper forgot to refill toilet paper and tissue. When I saw her in the hallway to ask, she made me call the front desk (who rarely answered) to ask for more. Maybe she didn't understand English, not sure. The staff at breakfast was rude, especially the chef who "cooked to order" but with a side of attitude. They constantly make my kids uncomfortable. They were walking between suites because their cousins were staying there and were told numerous times (the oldest being 11) that they were not allowed in the hallway without parents (we were on the same floor). The front desk was nice if you got the right person, but some of them were not. It's great space for the money, but hte Deerfield Embassy Suites is much better.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Montreal
Reviewed December 18, 2009

The Embassy Suites Boca Raton is definately the place to stay! Aamzing price, amazing rooms, amazing everything! The rooms were very big, a living room, a bedroom, a mini kitchenette, a full bathroom and even a balcony! The staff were very nice and friendly and I will definately go back there for my next Winter Break vacation! Very well priced! The free breakfast is outstanding! All you can eat every morning. They have everything! Make your own omlette, waffles, crepes, pancakes, egg. Fresh Fruit, toast bagels, muffins! Coffee, tea and everything! It was delicious. The free coacktails were also very extravagant.The pool is heated and very nice aswell as a hot tub! It is in the perfect location right near restaurants and about 5 minutes from the Boca Town Center! It was absolutely the perfect hotel. One of the best I've stayed at so far! I would definately recommend this hotel for families and basically everyone. Cant wait for next year!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family