“Stayed here for 5 years, and unfortunately cannot come back again”

Renaissance Boca Raton Hotel
Ranked #7 of 27 Hotels in Boca Raton
Toronto
“Stayed here for 5 years, and unfortunately cannot come back again”
Reviewed January 18, 2014

So, let me first begin to let you know that I travel about 90 times per year on business, stay at Marriott properties during all of my stays, and spend about 30 days in Boca Raton at the Renaissance. I am a Platnium Elite member. I have reviewed this property numerous times and have always provided high ratings to both the staff and facilities. During the holidays, I returned with my family and to my surprise, many changes had taken place, one of which was a "renovation" to their rooms. The new carpet was nice and some new furniture was a plus, but the old phones, archaic and noisy wall mounted a/c and old fixtures should have been part of the reno (my opinion). Still, we were excited to be back with family, that is of course until there was a knock at the door and my son answered it. He told the Lorrie from the revenue department and Peter from the front desk that I was on the phone with a client. They told him it was important and they needed to speak with me. I got off the phone with the client and went to the door. Lorrie, whom I have actually never met before decided it was her place to accuse me of staying at the hotel under a fraudulent rate and that I was committing fraud against the hotel, (the same hotel that I have given about 25K over the past 4 years to). Her tone was loud and accusatory and caught the attention of other guests in the hotel. She continued to tell me that the rate I was booked under was fraudulent. I explained to her that I did not have access to the computer and was not able to book my rates. She continued to call me a liar in front of my son, while Peter watched on. I decided that it was time to go speak with the GM, and the two of them accompanied me down to him. Perry, who is their 3rd, or 4th GM in a very short period of time listened to what I had to say and seemed very empathetic. He knew nothing about the situation and was horrified when I shared the details with him. As part of the compensation, I asked that Lorrie in revenue provide my family with an apology. Perry initially said he would do so, but then retracted it saying that he would offer an apology on behalf of his employee. This was a huge error in judgement in my opinion, because what it shows me, is that he accepts this behavior on the part of his staff. The end result, is that he comped the stay for us (although I am still waiting). To make things right, she should have apologized for her lapse in judgment. In all fairness, Peter did apologize acknowledging it was not right - so good on him. The good news is that I stayed at the Boca Marriott across the road last week and was very happy with their hotel.

7 Thank tdcguy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 12, 2014

We could not have been happier with those hotel. We have never experienced such excellent service and luxurious pampering for this price. Comfortable rooms, gorgeous pool area, and above all, outstanding staff. Add to that the low prices for the rooms and we were in heaven. We could not recommend this hotel any more highly.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Sam P
BocaGM, General Manager at Renaissance Boca Raton Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Thank you so much for your kind words. Our team is very much focused on the satisfaction of each and every guest. We literally share every comment we get to celebrate successes and research each challenge so that we can be the absolute best at what we do. Your kind words makes everything we do worthwhile. Thank you for taking the time out of your day to communicate such kinds words. We look forward to your return.
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Nice hotel. Excellent staff. Good value. Nice pool area and spa. Hallways nice and clean. Decor of rooms is dated. Rooms need to be remodeled. Club lounge is small and not particularly appealing. Would return again if price is right.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Crazykanoiy
BocaGM, General Manager at Renaissance Boca Raton Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Thank you for your time as I know your time is extremely valuable. We are pleased you found our team to have created an enjoyable experience. As far as a renovation, I am somewhat confused by your comment. We just finished a room renovation the end of December, so I would like to speak with you to get more feedback. Thank you once again for your time and we look forward to your return.
Westwood, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 5, 2014

I stayed at the Renaissance Hotel in Boca between 12/29/13-1/03/14 with my 2 children. My Mom lives in the area and have stayed at many local hotels over the years and are very familiar with the local accommodations. We chose this hotel because of the location, rate and because we are gold members which gives free wifi and breakfast's daily.

Initially my first impression is this hotel was clean, new and the front desk staff was very eager to please. We were told that breakfast was served daily in the concierge lounge/suite. However, it closed at 9:00/9:30 which was early for my children so I asked for meal vouchers for the main restaurant which served a daily buffet, in the event we were not up in time. I planned on eating in the concierge so the vouchers were for my children. I was VERY glad I asked for the meal vouchers because the next morning when I went to the concierge lounge it was mobbed. It is a small lounge/dining space with only a few tables and it seemed there were far to many people in this area than would be legally allowed. Additionally, the server seemed overwhelmed by the numbers and food was going fast. I discovered that the concierge lounge offered the exact same food as the main restaurant. So I got a coffee and some toast and left. I took my children to breakfast downstairs later and it was dead, only 2 or 3 other customers. Each day was the same. The main waiter at the restaurant (his name was Freely I think) was not very friendly when I asked about a waffle maker for my kids. Each day he was always a bit grumpy and was not very approachable even though there were not that many customers. The food was fine and "seemed" fresh.

Our room had two double beds and the mattress was very comfortable. We had a fabulous view of the adjacent parking garage. My only small complaint was the shower wasn't very hot and the water temperature fluctuated quite a bit. I called and had someone look at it, but it was pretty consistently luke warm every day. But that didn't bother me too much.

The pool area was very pretty, with a tiki bar outside by the pool. We spent most days at the beach and with family so we didn't use the pool or work out facilities so I can not comment other than appearance. There was a business center, but when I went to print out my boarding passes the two computers were in use. I came back later and they were still busy. So I never got to print out our boarding passes.

It all fell apart the night before we left. I ordered a chicken caesar salad from the restaurant to take back to my room. I had been at the beach all day and had only had breakfast that morning at the hotel and a peanut butter and jelly for lunch with the kids. As soon as I finished the entire salad my stomach started hurting a little. A few hours later, I began throwing up and it continued on through the night. I had a horrible headache and stomach pains after I stopped throwing up in the morning. I was exhausted. I was set to check out that morning and fly back home later that night. I was wiped out completely. I called the front desk and alerted them of the situation and my thoughts that the salad gave me food poisoning. They seemed apologetic and asked if there was anything they could do. My children needed breakfast but I could not go to the dining area. They offered to bring up food with no room service charge and offered a late check out. At that point, I wanted to get out of that room (which was smelled horrible at that point) and go to my families home to rest. The kids ate, we packed and checked out by 10:00. As I checked out, they only offered to comp me the meal from the night before and not charge me for room service.

I have to say I was very disappointed. Maybe they didn't believe me that I was ill from their food. I can see that as a legitimate concern. But, I have been home for a few days and nobody else has gotten any stomach bugs. I was not impressed at how they handled this situation. And I guess being a gold member does change anything in these situations either. I did not complain about this directly to them at the time because I was so sick. I could barely pack and get my family out of the hotel and drive to my parents home. Since I have been home I realized that I should warn other guests about the food. I would hate for anyone else to have this experience.

Bottom line, I would NOT stay at this hotel ever again.

Room Tip: Away from the elevator and not facing the 4 story parking garage..
1 Thank AZCMomof3
First and foremost we are extremely concerned in regards to your experience. I have researched not only the fact that you are of the opinion that you became sick during your stay but also that you felt we did not handle the challenge to your satisfaction upon checkout. Obviously we hoped you would have brought this to our attention immediately, however, I certainly understand the reasoning behind this not happening. I am thankful you brought it to our attention at check out. I can tell you that through our investigation we found that there were no other guests that became sick due to consuming food in our restaurant/room service areas. I even researched how many guests ordered the same items you did on the day in question. We found that 9 guests ordered the same items as you and there were none that had any issue at all. Please note we take this very seriously and I can tell you with confidence the way in which the food was stored, prepared, etc. met local and state guidelines to a "T". This does not discount your feelings on how you became sick, I only communicate that our investigation yielded you are the lone guest that had this type of challenge. I would like very much to speak with you at our convenience to go through your day once again and see if there was anything else that could have caused you to become ill. Thank you for your time and I look forward to speaking with you.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Great value. The rooms, though a bit dated in feel, were recently recarpeted and painted. overall a clean and nice room in a great area of boca raton. Nice Heated pool. Excellent service/staff - special thanks to Jackie.
Will be heading back in spring.

• Stayed December 2013
BocaGM, General Manager at Renaissance Boca Raton Hotel, responded to this review, January 5, 2014
Dear Valued Guest -
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to comment on your most recent stay with us here at the Renaissance Boca Raton. I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay and that our team took good care of you. As far as our renovation there was more than just carpet and paint but I am very glad you noticed. Our team looks forward to your return. Please call on me if I may be of further service. Happy New Year!

Renaissance Boca Raton
Toronto
Reviewed December 31, 2013

I will start with the positives:
The front desk staff were friendly and polite.

The negatives:
Note: I took the time to speak with the Manager and explain that I would give him a chance to discuss with me before I write this review on Trip Advisor. He listened, was polite, asked me my room number twice, and never got back to us. Actually kind of unbelievable really.

We ordered a fridge for the room which took 24 hours to arrive..it was only a 2 night stay, so we used ice from the machine to keep our food cold.

The club floor cost more, but with breakfast included, it made sense for us. We got there at 9am and there was a packed scene with probably 50 people there, including a long line and a very frazzled employee, working on her own, cleaning tables, washing dishes, serving food etc. she needed help. (I did suggest to the Manager that they do 2 things to solve this. First check the swipe cards of guests coming in, or their names on a list of guests, because even the employee there said most were not even on the club floor. Probably families where the parents were letting in their kids who were staying on other floors in.

There were no eggs. I waited 15 minutes standing in the food line waiting, as I was told they were in their way. There was no oatmeal, same story. As it turns out, at 9:40 they brought up fresh berries and hard boiled eggs too, which I didn't even know were missing until they showed up. It is a nice food set up for sure, but not appropriate for guests to wait 15 minutes for the 2 hot food items.

I will just briefly mention that the elevator in the right didn't accept swipe cards to get to our floor and that our room had to be reprogrammed to accept our keys. Both were resolved by staff.

So....a potentially great hotel, has some organizational issues, that they were aware of before I wrote this, and never got back to me about. I feel justified to share my suggestions and comments and rating here.

1 Thank michaelbeetoronto
BocaGM, General Manager at Renaissance Boca Raton Hotel, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Thank you for your feedback as any and all feedback is welcomed. I am not sure which manager you spoke with but that is most unfortunate. I have researched some of your concerns and would be more than happy to speak with you at your convenience. I believe you have contact information and I will follow up with you as well. Our goal is to provide complete satisfaction and will continue to strive for our guests to depart satisfied. I could certainly respond to many points on your comments, however, I believe it is best we speak or converse in some manner. Thank you once again and Happy New Year!
North Carolina
Reviewed December 25, 2013

We spent one night here to attend an event at nearby Florida Atlantic University. As others have noted, the hotel is undergoing a renovation, which is explained by signs in the lobby. Our room was redecorated in a fairly modern décor.

We spent some time at the pool area, which is very attractive and well arranged. The most memorable part of our visit was the staff. Each member we encountered was unfailingly friendly and helpful. While the facilities are nice, the staff is outstanding. The location is excellent, with easy access to I-95, and many upscale restaurants. I wish we could have stayed longer. Several guests we spoke to planned to stay for a week or more.

The price we paid made this hotel an outstanding value, although I wonder if this may change when the renovation is complete.

I should note that I thought the elevators were very slow, and the plumbing quite noisy. I wonder if the renovation will be able to address these issues.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
BocaGM, General Manager at Renaissance Boca Raton Hotel, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
It was a pleasure to have you as our guest. The entire team takes great pride in our service and I can assure you this will go on the board so the entire team can see your comments. Believe me when I tell you that there is nothing more important to our team than your satisfaction. I hope you can return soon and please reach out to me upon your return. Have a Happy Holiday Season.