“Continually disappointing”

Ranked #7 of 27 Hotels in Boca Raton
The South
“Continually disappointing”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I stay at this property a few times a year when my other choices are not available or fall out of my companies corporate travel policy and I have to stay here. And every time I walk into my room I hate the fact that this is my only option for that trip. Yes, they have made efforts to update their lobby but make no mistakes, they have not done anything to update their guest rooms and I have seen many. If it was one key thing on each trip I may be able to overlook but I am never comfortable when I stay here. Ever. And that's not a good way to spend your work week.

Tonight the first issue was when I opened the door to my room and was greeted with the dank and moldy smell of the room which is obviously caused by the inadequate HVAC system throughout the hotel. Rather than central air they use the 'window' type of older hotels that don't actually result in dry air just cold recirculated damp air.

Next noticed a used washcloth in the sink. I picked up the phone to call the front desk and was amused to find that the handset needed a new cord to attach to the phone (they won't even spring for a cordless phone) so I had to shout above the static. I was assured the room was clean but they'd have housekeeping come and do a light cleaning. Either it's clean or it's not. I don't need a light cleaning but I need a clean room. Assuming someone walked into the room and decided it smelled less than ideal they washed their hands and left (I hope) I stayed in the room but turned the AC down. When it didn't get cold I called for maintenance to come and inspect the unit. Now it's blowing cold damp air as opposed to warm damp air.

Maybe our corporate rate means we get the selected bottom of the barrel rooms since I don't understand the 4 and 5 star reviews. Or maybe I have much different standards (ie comfortable). But to me this facility is a miserable experience all the way around.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Ming1145
Michael A, General Manager at Renaissance Boca Raton Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear TripAdvisor guest, we are continually setting the goal to be the very best hotel in Boca Raton. Exceeding our guests expectations, focusing on the details and ensuring the consistency is always there for each and every guests. The feedback you have provided is contrary to any feedback we have received previously. The hotel has a large number of returning guests, weekly, monthly and each year. The reason for their return is that they expect to stay in the friendliness hotel, with the commitment to excellence in every detail - with the service, cleanliness, everything in working order and most of all - ensuring that we exceed our guests expectations each and every visit. We look forward to your return visit to the Renaissance Boca Raton Hotel.
Michael Allen - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We had an amazing time!! The pool is beautiful and the room was very nice and spacious. Closes to nice shops and restaurants. But most of all the staff was excellent. Friendly, personal and professional. We will be back!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear - “Wonderful Hotel and Staff” - TripAdvisor guest.
We truly appreciate the feedback you provided as a review of the recent stay at the Renaissance Boca Raton Hotel. The comments you provided including - "amazing time!!" ~ The pool is beautiful and the room was very nice and spacious, was very much appreciated - What is most important to our guests is there overall experience and the last comment you made - "most of all the staff was excellent. Friendly, personal and professional" - is what we strive for each and every day. Thank you again for taking the time to write such a wonderful comment on TripAdvisor and we look forward to your return visit.
Reviewed February 9, 2013

My entire visit here was excellent. Everyone was fantastic and extremely helpful. Met GM Michael Allen who made me feel welcome!

Rooms were clean and well appointed. Enjoyed the pool and grounds as well.

Upscale environment in Boca perfect for business and pleasure.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Tripadvisor guest, Consistency - Quality - Overall Outstanding guest satisfaction is most important to the experience our guests have. The feedback on the guest experience you had was very appreciative. We are always focused on ensuring we provide the service, the cleanliness and the consistency our guest are expecting. This is reflective in all the fantastic comments on TripAdvisor we have received over the past 12 months. We look forward to your return visit.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 8, 2013

If you are expecting a unique experience based on the brand name you can forget it. This is a decent mid-level property in a high profile part of Florida but nothing more. Yes you get toiletries that are more minty and fancy but beside that and a few nicer fabric choices in the rooms it seems like a worn out shoe comfortable but better years ago. I had a 3 night stay recently on business and I slept well with earplugs- there is ambient noise mostly from Ninja motorcycles heading down Military Trail late at night. A smoke detector green light directly above the bed shined bright enough to require a mask over the eyes for darkness. One other test of the place is would I stay here again and it would be NO. Higher standards should apply when using a high-end brand name and the place is average at best. People were nice all around just a once top end property heading toward downside if not renovated to current standards.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Supermagictasticguy
Dear TripAdvisor guest - we are always appreciative of the feedback from our guest and continually working on improving our guest experience. The feedback provided is a first and not what we consistently receive from our TripAdvisor guests as the hotel staff consistently focuses on exceeding our guest’s expectations. We never receive feedback on noise outside the hotel as the location is nestled in a very quiet and secluded area away from any major streets or highways. The focus on the Renaissance experience, being unique and spectacular for Boca is always prevalent with the 85+ comments we have received in the past 6 months alone. Consistency, Quality and exceeding our guest expectations is our mission each and every day for all our guests.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 7, 2013

After visiting back in 2011 I decided to bring along 2 more friends and visit again this past weekend. Even though the purpose of the trip was to spend all the time in South Beach doing things I didn't do last time we decided to still stay an hour away from the purpose of the trip. A rental car was no issue and the driving was well worth it for staying at this hotel. The staff is always friendly and accommodating. I had fun, as usual, by the pool. For people looking for an extremely luxurious room, the standard rooms aren't anything breathtaking but their pool area makes up for it all. The long nights and a total of 12 hours of sleeping over a course of 3 nights was well worth the commute from South Beach to this gem of a property. This may be my second trip here but I don't think it would be my last. Perhaps see you again next year? Thanks for the hospitality and the great services... until next time!

Room Tip: If you want a view, face the pool otherwise you'll be facing parking lots.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Annie C
Michael A, General Manager at Renaissance Boca Raton Hotel, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear valued Guest,
Thank you for the nice TripAdvisor feedback reflecting in your recent stay to the Renaissance Boca Raton Hotel. We are glad that your experience was restful and relaxing. The Destination pool we have really provides an oasis not like any other resort in South Florida. We appreciate you choosing our hotel when visiting Boca Raton and look forward to your next visit.
Indian Shores
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Very disappointed with my recent stay at the Renaissance Hotel in Boca Raton, Florida. I have been a Marriott rewards member and I am very disappointed at the overall condition of the hotel and the lack of service I received. I have requested a room on a high floor and extra towels when I made my reservation. My room was on the second floor and we didn't receive the extra towels. Our room did not have a refrigerator. The room itself was below standard for a Marriott hotel. I guess that just because Marriott owns the hotel, doesn't necessarily mean it will have the Marriott standards. I could have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express for this level of accommodation. We were not given information about the hotel, what time breakfast is served in the restaurant, if it was served at all, etc...

I have stayed at the Renaissance in Orlando and was disappointed then too. I've come to the conclusion that it is the Renaissance brand. The nightly room rate I paid certainly was not worth it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank rentit
Michael A, General Manager at Renaissance Boca Raton Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear TripAdvisor customer,
we are continually focused on improving the stay for each and every guest. Our results have proven with much success in recognition of the TripAdvisor Service Excellence award for 2012 and on our way again for 2013. The attention to detail the staff provide is reflected in over 95% of the last 50+ reviews just in the past 6 months. We truly care about our guests experience as our goal is to treat each and every guest as a VIP and ensure we earn their business for a lifetime.
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Decent hotel, nothing spectacular. Good location - walking distance to quite a few restaurants and shopping.

The bed was too soft and lumpy. The outdoor had a poor selection of drinks. The breakfast was bland and the same every day for 4 days.

All in all not a bad stay, but a good one either.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Kwalkerk
Dear TripAdvisor Guest,
We always appreciate feedback to better improve our guest’s experience. Thank you for sharing the positive feedback regarding our location. We truly are in the perfect location in Boca Raton. The Renaissance Boca Raton Hotel is walking distance to over 25 different restaurants, the famous Town Center Mall with world class shopping and within minutes to the beaches. We appreciate your business and look forward to your return visit.