“Best Japanese cuisine in Boca Raton !!!”
Review of Jidai Kaiten Sushi & Sake Bar - CLOSED

Jidai Kaiten Sushi & Sake Bar
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Thai
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Boca Raton, Florida
“Best Japanese cuisine in Boca Raton !!!”
Reviewed April 13, 2014

Delicious, fresh japanese cuisine, owner chef creates even more art when I ask him to surprise me!!! The restaurant has amazing concept... Delightful fun ambiance to relax and enjoy... A place we have never seen in Boca Raton... I feel like I am at a Sushi-Bar in Manhattan without flying many hours.... We began to go 3 days in a week!!!!! With chef's creativity and good prices, it looks like I will continue to be there 3 to 4 days every week!!!!

• Visited April 2014

Boca Raton, Florida
“Interesting way to eat sushi”
Reviewed March 27, 2014

Unlike most Asian restaurants, the name actually means something. In Japan kaitenzushi (回転寿司) is a real thing. The sushi moves around on what is essentially a conveyor belt. The kai 回 refers to a circle and the ten 転 refers to moving. So it moves around in a circle.

We've been there twice. The main idea is you see a variety of choices and you pick items off the belt as they pass you. The plates are colored to indicate the price, from $2 to $5 each. At the end of the meal they count up the plates and that's your bill.

There is a menu including non-sushi items and you can order off of it. If you don't see the sushi you want on the belt you just ask for it and they'll bring it to you.

Notably the sushi plates are covered for sanitary reasons. They don't bother doing this in Japan.

I lived in Japan for a year and have been back a few times. I'm a bit of a sushi snob and the sushi served at most places in the US is not what you see in Japan, so it's hard for me to give the food more than four stars. But the experience of eating kaitenzushi is something every sushi fan should try once. Personally I really like it and we will be going back.

Incidentally, the manager is Japanese, which is a promising sign. Most Japanese places are run by other Asians, making for somewhat less authentic food.

Full review here, with more pictures and even a video.

• Visited March 2014
Brookline
“Best Sushi in Boca?”
Reviewed February 26, 2014

I rate this 5 stars because it is the best place for sushi in the area that I have ever been to. I have my reasons. First of all, I have eaten sushi at many of the best restaurants in NY, Los Angeles and Tokyo. I have been taught about making sushi by friends such as Yasuda and others. I often purchase my fish and other ingredients from the best suppliers in the US such as a handful of Japanese markets (none around here) and specialty companies like Catalina Offshore. When I got to Boca I found that most of the supposedly Japanese restaurants were not Japanese at all, the quality of the fish was poor, there was very little awareness of 'balance' and the chefs had no idea as to how to make the rice properly. However, most of their customers were blissfully unaware of this and happy in the 'more is better' mode of eating sushi. This meant that it was unlikely to change. After all, if the customers are happy, why work harder and spend more money to improve quality?

Jidai is not perfect, and it cannot compete with Masa or Matsuhisa or Sukiyabashi Jiro, but for this area, it is currently my first choice. The sushi rice is better than or equal to anything I have had in the area, the uni (California) has been consistently excellent (in 6 visits) and the ama ebi is very good (technically it is what is served as botan ebi.) I don't find these items consistently at any other place I have been to here. I am biased because these are two of my favorite items to order. I also like the immediacy of picking moving plates off the counter and I have been pleasantly surprised by some of the items that were there. At any point, you can select from 20 or so choices ranging from a dragon roll to hibachi chicken served in a small bowl.

You can ask the chef to make anything you like, so you are not limited to the moving selections or the menu.

Items like miso soup, steamed shumai, seaweed salad, unagi, etc. are standard and what you would expect almost anywhere. They are not homemade, but they are good.

Ask the owner if there is something that you want. He seems like he really wants to please his customers, which I find a refreshing change. Remember to ask for anything you don't see slipping past you or on the menu.

BTW, the gimmick of the moving plates is enough to make a lot of people happy (it is a form of entertainment, after all) but the quality is what keeps me coming back. I went to Isobune in San Francisco many years ago when I first saw this style of presentation and I am pleasantly reminded of that experience.

Parking is easy - the lot is large and generally you can find a spot although it does get crowded on Friday and Saturday nights because of Anthony's and Bonefish. The location used to be an Asian buffet restaurant.

I have duplicated this text elsewhere since it took a while to write.

• Visited February 2014