“Ask a Question about the food...just don't expect the truth”
Review of Griddle

Griddle
Ranked #512 of 880 Restaurants in Boca Raton
Cuisines: American, Diner
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We've been to the Griddle a few times and overall while some of the items are a little on the pricey side it never stopped us from coming back.

On the latest visit, I had a taste for the Country Fried Steak breakfast that I used to enjoy in Texas but thought I better ask the waitress whether it was home-made or the standard out of the box product that most South Florida eateries pass off as Country Fried Steak.

The server (younger lady) told me that "It's Home Made Right Here" so without question I ordered it. The order arrived promptly and what a disappointment it was to find that only a few minutes ago it was a flat tasteless "out of the box" Country Fried Steak.

I don't know if the management tells their staff to just say Homemade, thinking they can pass it off , or if the waitress was just too lazy to go and actually check on it but either way it's a disgrace!

No problem, it wasn't the first time I've been told that it's homemade only to find that it's not so I ate it just the same.

While I will always tip servers 20-25% minimum because I know that restaurant owners get away with paying servers peanuts with in the Southern states so I look after them. In this case I thought that even though the waitress was actually the person that gave me incorrect information I chose not to take it all out on her with the tip. I tipped 16% and then left the table to use the restroom.

Upon my return from the restroom, my dining partner advised me that the owner wanted to talk to me about why I tipped so little...16% is so little?? I spent a lot of years in the service industry and if I ended up with an average of 10% it was a good night. I chose not to track the owner down as she was busy speaking with another customer (hopefully not chastising them too), and we left. I've eaten at thousands of restaurants and have never seen a restaurant owner scrutinize a servers tips. Kind of makes me wonder whether she skims tips from them.

I now started to believe that the owner tells her service staff that everything is "Homemade" and when they get caught with out of the box product, she thinks it's the customer that's wrong.

I asked the question..and got a lie in return. Whether it is the serviers lack of knowledge, or the owners nose growing I guess we'll never know what the real truth is.

Shame, Shame..there's way too many great restaurants in the Boca/Delray area to be serving inferior food at above average prices and then expect to be successful. Probably the reason why this restaurant rarely has more than a couple of full tables at any given time.

I'm not the first person I've heard asking for real Country Fried Steak and if this restaurant learns from this experience I'm sure it would greatly increase their sales and garner a steady following of customers. Even if they freeze the tenderized minute steak after breading it, (now how hard is that?) the results will show in the positive till receipts.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

Breakfast was just ok, coffee poor, restaurant itself was just iffy all around. Staff was friendly, honestly, I dont remember the service so it must have been ok.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

We went here while vacationing in Deerfield Beach. I bought a discounted Restaurant.com certificate and looked for breakfast places within a 10 mile radius of our zip code.

It's a quaint little restaurant tucked in strip mall in Boca. Not that difficult to find. It's obvious they have a following of regulars.

Here's what I liked, my egg white greek omelette was very good. However, the rest of the food we ordered wasn't all that. As a matter of fact, the blueberry pancakes my 6 year old ordered were barely edible for her. A 6 year old who turns down pancakes? That's bad! The coffee was very good and the service was very friendly. Unfortunately, my wife didn't care for her Frittata either.

Knowing what I know, if I was staying in the area I would certainly keep this place on my list for a return for the greek omelette and maybe even try lunch. However, to drive 10 miles to seek this place out wasn't worth the discount we got with the coupon. Kids are certainly welcome but there is no kids menu...at least for breakfast.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

Went for lunch during the work week with a co-worker. The owners were so nice as well as our waitress. I had my dog with me so we sat outside and they were very accomodating. I ordered chicken breast with fresh fruit, very simple but everything was delicious. I would go again for sure.

Reviewed September 9, 2012

My friend and I enjoy fine dining, but we also enjoy a great little breakfast joint like this one. From the funky decor (farming implements and historical photos from when Boca was just a little one-horse town) to the comfortable booths, just-right scrambled eggs and crispy bacon, this place is a hit! It's located in one of the shopping malls a several blocks inland from the beach, and is easy to miss. Make the effort to find it, though--the good food and the genuine friendliness of the place brought my friend and I back there three mornings out of the five we stayed in Boca--and we'll be back!