“GREAT Thai Food” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kao Tong Modern Thai - CLOSED

Kao Tong Modern Thai
Cuisines: Asian, Thai, Vegetarian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: N Mitzner Blvd
Description: The striking orange and gold decor at Boca's brand new, sleek Kao Tong Modern Thai Restaurant just hints at the extraordinary quality of their food. Settle in with a Thai Iced Tea while designing your special feast, beginning with a bowl of the most luscious Tom Yum Soup; hot and sour, soothing and spicy. Try a marinated Shrimp in a Blanket, dipped into a sweet Chili Sauce. Red, green and yellow Curries; Rice Bowls with either brown or white grains; Pad Woon Sen Noodles with a garden of vegetables in a tangle of clear glass noodles; classic Pad Thai with chicken, shrimp, tofu or lobster; and a lemony, minty Ocean Salad of fresh shrimp, scallop, mussels and veggies.
Naples, Florida
“GREAT Thai Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

We came in with party of 7 and made a reservation just in case. Our table was all set up when we arrived and sat down right away. The first thing I noticed was the 'out of the ordinary decor'. It put a smile on my face right away. The unique colors, design and trinkets were very well thought out. Made for a very nice ambiance. There were 7 of us so we had a chance to sample a combination of different appetizers. If I can sum it up in a couple of different words they would be Amazingly Great!! I really don't take pictures of the dish I am about to partake in unless it's a special occasion or I made it myself, but the presentation of the appetizers looked so wonderful I had to take a picture of it. We all loved the appetizers and couldn't wait for dinner. The food presentation was awesome and the food tasted even better. Yup more pictures. The staff was well dressed, very nice and courteous. The service was excellent. I live in Naples which is across alligator alley and the quality of the Thai food over here does not compare to Kao Tong. I was visiting friends who live near the restaurant. Well I hear my friends seem to go to Kao Tong from time to time. They really like the restaurant but I think they tell me just to rub it in. I wish I could make it there more often.

• Visited November 2012

Toronto, Canada
“Absolutely top notch Thai food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

This restaurant definitely deserves 5 stars for the food alone. Each dish we had was totally authentic, rich in flavor, cooked perfectly and beautifully presented. It's clear however that they need to iron out some other issues and that's why I knocked off a star.

After the terrific appetizers (complementary salads followed by Tom Kha with lots of shrimp, Won Ton Soup with great broth and an excellent Chicken Sate), our first main dish was served almost 10 min before the other ones were ready. We picked hungrily at the excellent chicken curry while waiting several more minutes to get additional plates just to share the single dish. The remaining dishes arrived soon after and did not disappoint. The Angry Shrimp was wonderful and spicy and the Pad Thai was fine.The last dish was a combination rice dish with chicken and other goodies and worked well.

What didn't work for us were the large serving plates on the relatively small table for four. Additionally, the food portions were HUGE! While I recognize that many people may like that, we personally prefer more standard portions so that we can try more dishes. As it is we took home the left-overs, but this is not always an option and I hate having to waste good food.

The bottom line is that this restaurant has the potential to be the best Thai restaurant in Boca Raton; the food quality is far superior to the other higher rated Thai restaurant on Trip Advisor.

• 2 of 5 stars
Boca Raton, Florida
“Great Surprise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

We're new to the area and just looking for some decent Thai food. It was empty when we arrived so we were skeptical but found that Kao Tong was really a nice surprise! The decor borders on tackiness since the holiday lights and garlands as well as the readily visible cleaning supplies and stacked boxes detracted from the bright and interesting decor. The food was excellent! The appetizer sampler with all the right sauces was wonderful and although we were already full after that, we kept on going through the scallop main course which was also great. Give this place some business folks! They are doing things right so they are worth keeping around for a long time!

“Not Good, Great~!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I am going to overlook the Christmas cheesy decorations outside. That there is outside seating is a plus. Don't bother dressing ...even though the address is Boca....this restaurant merits my approval for its outstanding cuisine. The standards: Beef/chicken satay are not dry pieces of dead meat on a stick. All simple dishes are elevated to excellent creations of the chef. The service is good and friendly. Very Thai. I hope this little restaurant stays in business....I have been there 3 times in 2 weeks but I cannot hold the place up alone. Try it. You will see how delicious the food is.

• 3 of 5 stars
Boca Raton, FL
“Fabulous Thai in Boca!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

We had seen that Kao Tong Modern Thai opened recently not far from us. We decided to go there on a Saturday night, just my husband and me. We were a bit nervous since the previous 2 restaurants that have occupied that space had closed. But, we were looking for something different, and tried it. Glad we did! I had the Tom Kha Gai soup. I do believe it's the best I've ever tried! The lemongrass shone and it, like all the entrees and apps, was steaming hot! My husband had the Won ton soup with dumplings, which were good and plump, but nothing compared to my soup! He ordered Pad Thai and I got the Red Curry. Not original, but let me tell you, it was all perfectly executed. Hot, a bit spicy and so flavorful.

As an aside, they did a very nice job of sprucing up the place. It's no longer a dump. It's got cute orange painted and mirrored walls with comfy white padded chairs-- a step up from the last place with the metal chairs.
We will definitely be back with the kids this time.