“Hipster Crowd, Great Food”
Review of The Rebel House

The Rebel House
Reserve with OpenTable
The Rebel House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 869 Restaurants in Boca Raton
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: http://www.southfloridafoodandwine.com/2012/06/a-pictorial-first-peek-at-rebel-house-boca-raton.html
Reviewed May 12, 2014

Staying between Boca and West Palm Beach, we opted to head south and explore restaurants in Boca. Found the Rebel House and was very pleased with our choice. Great atmosphere, though rather on the loud side...unique paintings and furnishings. Drink menu was intriguing. We would strongly recommend the fried chicken as the best entree we tasted and the ribs as the best appetizer. We would pass on the dumplings. All in all, it was a great dining experience.

1  Thank blueeyedgolfer

Reviewed May 12, 2014

Three of us had dinner here on Mother's Day, a day notorious for bad service. Rebel House wasn't especially busy though, so we were hopeful. Walking in, I had a flashback to 1982 Dallas, when the only Chinese restaurant in town offered "fried rice", a combo of white rice and carrots & peas. Saw people eating that here.

No reservations but we were seated right away as there were a few empty tables. We were given food menus and a drink menu. Eventually a wine list was also offered, and the daily popcorn (possibly cheese? We were not informed.) We ordered a craft beer on tap (no advice offered) and a rye drink with chai tea & smashed berries that tasted like a whiskey sour. Not impressed so far.

We were informed that food would be served as it was prepared, so whatever dish was ready hit the table, regardless of whether or not anyone else was served. Very tapas style which worked for the apps, not so well for the mains. We order the Shrimp & Grits, which was the best dish we had all night. If you are looking for creamy cheesy grits under your shrimp, keep looking. Instead we were served what I would call grits gnocchi, and they were very good. The shrimp was perfectly cooked and flavorful. Too bad we didn't stop there.

Next course was the Forest Mushroom Risotto. Call me crazy, but I was expecting mushrooms in that dish. Instead we got a bowl of completely bland white risotto (made with water rather than stock would be my guess) that was studded with green peas. My husband found a mushroom in his scoop, my daughter and I did not. This dish was completely flavorless, obviously had no seasoning whatsoever. The addition of salt (a grinder is on the table, a nice touch) made it edible, but barely.

We ordered the burger. Their other restaurant is Charm City Burger, which we used to love but eventually the abysmal service, burgers not cooked to order and finally seeing them pull out a box of pre-made burgers from the freezer turned us off to that place. But they usually do well in the local Burger Bash (curiously, usually placing with burgers not available on the menu) and the Rebel House burger claimed "Charm City sauce" along crispy onions and optional bacon, fried egg or foie gras. We saw several burgers go by while we were waiting...and waiting...and waiting so when ours finally arrived, we were disappointed to see a few straggly crispy onions, not the pile we had seen on burgers gone by. The bacon was completely overcooked, like precooked bacon that has been nuked in the microwave to reheat? But the worst offense was the grease, the bun was just soaked in it. A barely edible burger, which was served a good 10 minutes before our other main, the Fried Chicken. The chicken was supposed to come with jalapeno cheddar biscuits, but we were informed (long after ordering) that they ran out of biscuits (and flour, cheese, jalapenos and apparently time and/or staff to make more) and offered fries instead. The fried were good, reminiscent of the fries at Five Guys. The fried chicken was very crispy and hot, but the chicken itself was bone dry. It was served with a maple bacon syrup which we didn't love. And no ketchup for the fries. The waiter - actually most of the wait staff AND the manager, were hanging by the food window and having a great time with their backs to the restaurant where all customers were ignored. The place could have burned down and they wouldn't have noticed. I finally got up, walked over to our waiter and said excuse me. I got nothing, so I tapped him on the shoulder. Two taps later he turned around and I asked for ketchup and honey. The chicken was better with the honey. There was a large breast, a drum stick, and another piece that I have not ever seen on a chicken. Maybe the back after it was boned? It was long and very overcooked, black in several spots, with very little chicken under the crust.

We kept seeing this dessert go by, that looked like a smores sundae in a mason jar with a toasted marshmallow on top. Turned out it was chocolate pudding, not ice cream but it was very warm in this place (two garage doors to the outside were up and it is in the 80s) so we opted instead for the Rebel sundae, vanilla & chocolate ice cream, fried banana, and caramel. Eventually we were served a bowl of soup with half a banana on the side. I managed to flag down the waiter without having to leave my table this time, and asked if it usually was served so soft. He looked at it and said no, I'll have them re-make it for you. We declined. We had been there for over 2 hours and the place was almost empty by 8:30. We also got to watch them "clean" the table next to us by wiping everything off the table onto the floor. Which explains the dirty seat I was offered when we arrived.

This is a trendy kind of place, artwork is interesting, plumbing pipe light fixtures with the requisite Edison light bulbs, tattooed wait staff. The menu is interesting but unfortunately, the quality of the food just wasn't there. And the service was nonexistent. This wasn't "Mother's-Day-we-are-so-slammed" bad service either, it was the-manager-is-our-pal-and-we-don't-have to-do-squat bad service. Our evening ended with the manager stopping by on his way to the staff hangout in the back, saying, "Happy Mother's Day, by the way." He didn't bother to ask how our meal went, and we weren't singled out for this lack of service, we never saw him stop by any table. We will be doing our gastropubbing across town at the Sybarite Pig, with a much smaller food menu, much longer beer menu, and consistently great food and service.

2  Thank MomWithBooks
Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

A much different atmosphere than most places in Boca, so that in enough.

Most staff is highly tattooed just to give you a feel for the place.

Great selection of cocktails that I thought were very incentive.

Best pick of the night was the fried rice.... It was yummy!

2  Thank Elizabethrap
Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

Great atmosphere, good food, and the price is very reasonable. I had their rib appetizer and it was delicious. Would go again.

Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

Ate here with my husband, let's just say make a reservation or get there when they open at 5. We were lucky to get seats at the bar, and let me say it was excellent!! Food was delicious , drinks off the hook! Christopher is a true Master of Mixology. Don't pass this by, it's a must. Also ,don't let the funky decor turn you away either it's what makes this great restaurant unique. Go here!!!