“OK, but not Great Greek Food”

Jimmy the Greek Taverna
Reserve with OpenTable
Jimmy the Greek Taverna is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #157 of 806 Restaurants in Boca Raton
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Piccadilly Square Shopping Plaza
Description: Jimmy the Greek Taverna is focused on welcoming locals within the community to come and enjoy the exceptional Greek food that the restaurant has to offer. No matter if it's your first time visiting, or you're a regular, you are treated like family the moment you walk through the door. At the Taverna, the staff is youthful and knows the menu well. Every server is eager to assist customers and answer any questions they may have. As a full service restaurant, there is both a lunch and dinner menu provided with an option for takeout as well. Come in for a $9.95 Lunch combo of Greek salad, your choice of entree, and side. The lunch entree options include: Pastichio, Moussaka, Spinach Pie, Falafel, Gyro, and so much more. If you can't make it for lunch, then dinner is a must. Start your dinner with an appetizer of homemade hummus and pita bread, Loukaniko, or fried zucchini & eggplant. As you dine on the delicious Greek appetizer, look over the dinner menu for choice of an entree. Each entree includes soup or salad, and rice pilaf or oven roasted potatoes and veggies. Try a seafood dish, the kabobs, maybe a combo platter, or a classic Greek favorite. There is an option for any mood you may be in! Jimmy the Greek Taverna has catering and private party accommodations as well
“OK, but not Great Greek Food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

Tucked away in the corner of the Glades and Boca Rio shopping center, Jimmy The Greek serves all of the Greek standards. Nothing terrific, but nothing awful, for a modest price.

Visited March 2013

Florida
“Authentic Greek Cuisine”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

We love to stop in here for dinner. The service is sometimes slow, however the food is great. The gyro meal is always good. The lamb is quite flavorful as well. We will definitely return here in the future.

Visited June 2013
Cape Coral, Florida
“Staff meetings provide "entertainment" value?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

If you've ever felt like your life is in shambles and need a pick me up to make you realize you're life isn't so bad, then you should eat here when they have a staff meeting in the afternoon.

I ate here on the way back from a trip to the passport office in Miami. I needed gas. I was hungry. This place reminds me of a family owned place in my home town. The food....excellent. The price...fair. The attitude? well...not the same...let me explain.

I entered the establishment and was asked if it was "for here or to go". I said I'd eat here. The hostess pointed to the tables. I chose one and sat down. I was the only one inside except for the entire staff seated at several tables bunched together.

I know more than got into my seat, and a menu handed to me when one of the staff members said "you can't sit here". What?, I thought. "Well I was just told to pick a place to sit by the hostess", I said. "Can you sit in the other room? We're having a meeting.", she said. So, I moved.

As soon as I sat down in the "other room", I ordered my drink and food. The waitress, obviously in distress, but still mustered enough strength up to ask me how my day was. I told here I was glad to be on my way home because I had a long drive to renew my passport and that the 2.5 hour wait was much longer than I had expected considering I had an appointment. She rolled her eyes and said "at least you don't work here". We chuckled.

Soon after, my food arrived and I started eating. I had a Gyro (pronounced Yee -roh NOT j-eye-ro by the way).

Then all of a sudden and out of the blue, I heard screaming, swearing, apologizing, more screaming and etc all coming from the room where the staff was sitting....this continued the entire time I was in the restaurant. In fact, it was SO LOUD that I could hear everything being said. And I'll bet you could hear it outside as well even though the doors were all closed.

For a minute, I thought to myself, "gee, I'm glad my kids aren't with me" as I continued to be subjected to the verbal abuse being served up by the staff members toward each other. Then I thought..."this can't be real"...where are the hidden cameras.? But no. It was nothing but brutally honest opinions and true grit being passed around like a hot potato.

To be quite honest, and this may seem odd to some, I started feeling better about my day. At one point, I started to actually enjoy listening to the bickering...and believe it or not, all this made me realize..hey, I don't have it so bad. It was kind of like being at a dinner theater...only it was real.

I digress. You see, I've had a jobs in my younger years where I was there to collect a paycheck. I remembered that saying "misery loves company"...and I can remember there being some strange sort of bond with the people I worked with that we all formed somehow. That sense of "we're in it together" and that we had to make it work regardless of the horrific finite patterns of repetitive mundane activities we endured.

By this time, they were no longer sitting, but standing...throwing arms around in heated "discussion" as I paid my bill.

These people had passion, they had issues, they aired them...and didn't care who heard about it. And luckily for me, I didn't feel offended that they chose 3pm to have a meeting. Of course, they probably should have picked a better time, like the company christmas party or something but hey, whatever issues they had, they needed to be dealt with now.

So next time you're feeling bad, take a que from our friends over at Jimmy The Greek's. Air your dirty laundry...you'll be glad you did. And so might the people around you.

In life, there's always someone better off than you. Alternately, there's always someone worse off than you too. Take a deep breath...let it out and relax.

Thanks to the staff at Jimmy The Greek's, the rest of my trip home was great!

• Visited May 2013
Pompano Beach, Florida
“I drive from Pompano to Boca whenever I want GREEK food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

I love, love, love this place. I always order the Tarasomalata and Pita Bread which is always served with a smile by the friendly staff. I like to try a new dish each time I visit. The last time I was there I had hot dalmades and lemon potatoes. Loved it, will be going back again soo, I have to invent excuses to go to Boca for work, just so I can stop by this great little restaurant.

• Visited March 2013
Montreal, Canada
“SIMPLE OLD SCHOOL GREEK STYLE”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

Everything is authentic GREEK including the waitress, the owner, and the cooks.Unfortunately the restaurant is original decor,floor lighting and paint and plastic glasses etc and we would expect this increases the obvious loyalty of the customers who knew the help.
The food is also tasty and plentiful in all respects. A real value and great choices. Can't wait to go back.