“Great without little kids”

Boca Beach Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #1 of 27 Hotels in Boca Raton
Reviewed January 23, 2010

This resort was beautiful and would come back without kids. Room was small, older and dated. Kids club was more like a daycare than a fun time. Pool was nice, but no kids pool. There was a cute sprinkler area. You had to take a shuttle to the beach which is tough if you have little ones with all their equipment and beach toys. Food was very expensive, but good. It was a fortune just to get a lemonade for my son on the beach ($8). Not sure if I will return.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,167)

Reviewed January 19, 2010

I recently stayed at the Boca Beach Club for a conference. The Resort is modern and trendy but done well. I upgraded to an oceanview room and it was well worth it. The view was spectacular. The room was huge and had a huge bathroom. It was cold so I did not use the pool but it looked great and in warmer weather I am sure it is busy. The fitness center was very large and roomy and had everything you could need. It looked out over the ocean and pools. Ate at SeaGrille which had a huge selection of fresh fish, everyone I ate with enjoyed their meal. Shuttle to Boca Raton Resort was convenient, it had great restaurants and lounges as well. But beware it is a much older property with a different feel. Nice but nothing like the Beach Club. I would stay here again for pleasure if I find myself in Boca Raton. Note to Spa Enthusiasts, the spa is located at the Resort not right at the Beach Club, but dont let this deter you from staying here.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 4, 2010

Myself, my husband and our 2 boys, ages 7 and 10, stayed at the newly updated Boca Beach Club for 7 nights over holiday break. The hotel's decor is absolutely beautiful--truly a beach club feeling. It's contemporary yet warm, it smells wonderful everywhere and a soothing music plays in the background. Our rooms were large and overlooked the ocean. The beds were extremely comfortable, the bathrooms were beautiful and the overall feeling was one of complete luxury. Then there was the service. Everyone we encountered, from the pool and beach staff to the housekeepers, to the valets and the shopkeepers were genuinely friendly and couldn't do enough to tend to our every need. There is a snack shop by the pools which had every type of food desirable--even a fresh salad bar. Then there was a delicious restaurant on the beach where you could go through a line and get fresh cooked fish, tacos and more. We loved that the pools were divided into one for little kids, one for bigger kids and one for only adults. There were plenty of activities for our kids and they loved the Lucky Charms pancakes we ordered from room service for breakfast! We truly felt like we were at a 5-star beach resort in the islands rather than in Boca Raton, Florida and we loved every minute.

1  Thank Leslee23
Reviewed December 31, 2009

We stayed at the Beach Club for 10 days (Dec. 19-29/09). The location is excellent, right on the beach in Boca Raton. The hotel was recently renovated and is very modern and beautifully decorated. The rooms are tight if you are having a child stay with you. Although, the pull out sofa was very comfortable as was the bed. The closet and drawer space is very limited. The service at the beach club is outstanding. The valets, the front desk, restaurant, pool and concierge staff are all very polite, helpful and friendly. It almost makes you forget the ridiculous prices you're paying for daily parking and valet and the food. Breakfast is $22 for continental. Our room came with breakfast, but simple lunches at the pool were quite expensive, but generally good. They tack on an 18% service charge for everything. We asked for a fridge in our room ($25 for the 10 days) and it was worth it. We kept Diet Coke, milk and snacks in there.
The pool scene is very busy on the weekends so you have to get their early to get a chair. While they tell you that you can't reserve a chair it was obvious that some of that was going on. Make sure to leave more than a magazine on the chair or the New Yorkers will simply take your chair and magazine. There is a kids pool and an adult swim pool. The pool staff need to monitor the adult pool as there were several children in the pool during the day. The beach is clean and great for kids.
The hotel which is separate from the beach club property is a 5 minute shuttle ride away. At the hotel there are restaurants and a few shops as well as a games room. Your kid can play there for $10 (good for the whole day). They don't give anything away here. The shuttle runs every 15 minutes.
Close by the hotel you will find the Publix supermarket, Einstein's Bagel, CVS pharmacy and great restaurants. We fell in love with Amante which is located south on A1A about 8 minutes from the hotel. It's italian, fun, reasonably priced and like most places in the US, the portions are huge. Plan on sharing if you go and make a reservation. There's a great gelato place next door for dessert. We also like PF Chang on Glades Road, Trattoria Romano on Palmetto Park Road. We didn't like Villagio at Mizner Park. The food was not great and the waiters hover over you the entire meal. Mizner is a nice place to walk around and/or see a movie, but the food is generally lousy there. If you're traveling to South Beach and want a fantastic meal you should try Prime 112. It's a high end steak house with delicious food. Einstein's and a few other breakfast places are close to the hotel and a great choice for a cheap and good breakfast or lunch.
If you're doing business while on vacation you will appreciate the helpful and efficient business center at the beach club. Faxes, emails and files to be printed are done with a smile and quickly.
We would definitely go back to the Boca Beach Club. It was generally good value for the money. I have to say however that I was somewhat disappointed having stayed at other Waldorf Astoria properties. I expected a level of sophistication that was not present at the Beach Club (e.g., complimentary cold water and snacks at the pool, all beach chairs padded, kids kept out of adult pool, housekeeping done by early afternoon at the latest, etc.). We came back to our room at 4:15p.m. on two occasions and the room wasn't cleaned up yet. That just isn't good enough for a Four Seasons Waldorf Astoria property. Our welcome amenity was not in our room as it was in our friends' rooms. The housekeeping is a little sloppy.
The Beach Club is a very good four star property in my opinion. And, with a little more attention to detail it can become an even better destination for travelers expecting the very best.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Take my word for it...
Reviewed December 23, 2009

I recently stayed at the Beach club with my boyfriend. It is one of those places that you have to be willing to drop a large amount of money on your stay, even when you secure a decent rate for your room. The resort is very very nice, just reopening this past February after extensive renovations and our upgraded ocean-view room was great (easy to do with the hotel at only 40% occupancy when we stayed). The bathrooms are beautiful in granite with double sinks and a separate shower area. Very clean and the floor to ceiling sliding glass door that opened to let the ocean breezes in was a plus.

The only issue I had with the hotel was that they charge a separate resort fee of $25/day and the food/drink at the pool bars and outdoor eateries are outrageously priced. The one and only thing I purchased at the hotel was a can of coke, totaling $4.35. Everything has tax and gratuity built in. If you tip each person that remotely assists you (bellmen - gratuity is supposed to be included in the resort fee but they expect a tip nevertheless, doormen, pool boys who arrange your towel on your chair for you, valet......) it costs a lot more than you'd think. It cost us $12 to get from our room to our car during checkout, and it adds up.

The only other thing to be aware of is the construction that is still lingering on the premises. The "tower" building at the Beach Club that is being turned into condos is worked on all day long, and many construction workers could be seen from our room on the rooftops, etc. The noise of grinders and other machinery was not especially relaxing.

Very quiet, relaxing, and exclusive resort, but be prepared to shell out a lot of cash on your trip if you book this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2009
1  Thank LovesTheBeach13
Reviewed December 22, 2009

Checked In on December 18, 2009 (2 rooms (#40706 and #40708), and am stuck in this place, because it is way too difficult to move with 4 kids under the age of 7, one of which is 6 months old.

How it all started (and when I should have realized booking here was the biggest vaction mistake of my life):

I called the day before our arrival to ensure we would have room set-up with a porta-crib and kettle to prepare the baby's formula and food, as well as to see if there was room in the minibar to store milk and other perishables. I was directed to a lady who said nothing was indicated on the reservation for either room, but that she would put it on the reservation, but that inventory of the minibar would be taken daily and anything not in the minibar would be charged to us, but that I could get a fridge for an additional charge,

Upon arrival, my wife checked in at the desk, they told us the rooms were ready and asked if we wanted the fridge for an additional charge, to which we had no choice.

I will say that the lobby is beautiful and the rooms are very nice and fresh looking.

We got to our rooms and began unpacking - two of the kids were tired so we opened up the two doubles in one room only to find brownish/reddish stains on BOTH comforters. We called down to the front desk who dispatched housekeeping to strip and re-linen the beds. No apologies, no gestures of any kind.

Needless to say, the commotion didn't help and the kids never ended up napping.

The following day we decided to try out the restaurant downstairs for the buffet breakfast. Food was good but VERY over-priced to the point that I really felt ripped-off. 3 Adults, a 7 yr old, a 5 yr old a 4 yr old For a whopping $165.00.

One of the main reasons we chose this resort was because it seemed to be very kid- friendly, with a pool for kids, a camp, a game room, etc... the only thing that is never mentioned anywhere on the website is that everything comes at an additional fee. Camp - EXTRA, access to game room - EXTRA, any other acitivity - EXTRA.

Commencing after our second night, we began to notice a real dip in the quality of housekeeping. Examples: failure to replensih in-room coffee, failure to replace with the same amount of towels, not even wiping the sink or counter or bathtub, not tiding up the night tables or desk. Certainly not what you would expect from the Waldorf Collection.

Last night (Monday) we decided to go with the kids to Serendipity for dinner (a restaurant in the Boca Raton Resort Dining Pamphlet as having only one ``$`` (being the least expensive). Same amount of people as breakfast - a whopping $150 for 2 sandwiches, a salad, 2 kids hot dogs and 1 kids mac and cheese, and 4 milkshakes.

At this point I am completely fed up. Here I am paying over $3500 for our rooms, getting hit with Daily resort charges of $20 plus taxes per night PER ROOM (so I can have "free HSIA", Valet charge of $26 per night and over $300 for two lousy meals with no alcohol, and my kids haven`t done any activities whatsoever. So I make a promise to myslef that I won`t lose my cool because I am on a family vacation.

My wife decides to speak with the manager and expresses our disatisfaction and give the details of our experiences thusfar. he promises to credit the charge for the fridge and to call her on her cell phone within 30 minutes.

90 Minutes elapses, with no phone call from the manager.

We head up to our room and within seconds the phone is ringing. On the line, is the Director of Housekeeping (Liz), who would like to meet us in our room to see how the room is. Considering it was just done, and we just walked in, we asked her to come right away. She ascertains that the counter was not cleaned, the room was not tidied up and apologizes, asking when the team can come back to freshen it up. We ask her to come back later while we are out for supper.

We leave te resort to go for a nice supper at the Capital Grille (which I really enjoyed), and upon our return to the valet drop-off, there is one valet. I park the car, stop the engine and begin unloading the kids with my wife. I have the infant in one arm and I open the trunk to pull out the stroller with the other - NO help from the valet. at that very moment another guest requests his Jaguar from the valet, who promptly serves the guest, completely ignoring me. My wife takes the baby and I open the stroller. I close the trunk and after all the kids are out close the back door to the car and head into the hotel.

The second we get into the room, the phone is ringing... I pick up and it`s the valet saying `please tell me you have another set of keys on you`. At that very moment, my 4 year old walks right into the door knob and is screaming, so I tell the valet - `please let me call you back`. After tending the my 4-year old with my wife, we notice a bottle of wine and a platter of cheese on the desk with a note from the manager saying he`s glad my wife spoke with him and that we had a chance to meet with the Director of Housekeeping, but there`s nothing he can do with our reservation, have a nice evening.
At this point, I am really ticked off, because I have to deal with the keys locked in the car, and we just had a HUGE dinner, we have 4 kids and what the heck are we gonna do with the wine and cheese.

Anyways, I head down to the valet and first thing he says to me is: `when you closed the door, the doors automatically locked`. So I said that I could ask my father to drive over another set of keys from his Fort-Lauderdale Condo, but his out at dinner and it will be at least 90 minutes until he gets here, but I know he's coming tomorrow at 7 a.m. To which he replies, well I can call a locksmith BUT you will have to pay for it !!!

It took every bit of my restraint from blowing up at this guy. He ditches me to get another person`s car so he can possibily get a tip from the Jag owner, and proceeds to blame me ?!?!?!

I ask him if the car can stay where it is until the morning (it's 9:50 p.m. at this point), and he says he cannot have a car there all night. So as I am calling my father to see if he can come by to bring the extra key, I notice a team of valets come out with these four jack-type contraptions on casters. so I ask the valet what that is for, and he says, "we are moving your car, we have a huge check-in and your car can't stay there, so we're going to push it to the corner, there". So I say, "then if its out of the way, let's leave it in the corner till tomorrow morning. He rolls his eyes and finally says, "fine".

I get back upstairs (still fuming), and my wife is also upset so she goes down to speak to the manager again, as he never called but sent the note to our room. The girl at the desk says he'll call you in a few minutes. 20 minutes later, no phone call - my wife calls down again to have the wine and cheese picked up from outside the room. 10 minutes later, all kids asleep, and we don't want the phone to ring so my wife calls down again, and in a nutshell the manager just says, sorry, there's really nothing I can do.

I think this hotel has been aforded enough opportunities to recifiy the situation, but it has failed to do so, and at this point I am ready to expose our story here.

Normally, when I read a negative review on this site for something that has so many positive reviews, I assume its a competing hotel writing a fake review. Now I realize that even a "good hotel" can be sub-par, and in this case, ruin a family vacation.

This is a Waldorf Astoria Collection Resort - it should live up to a higher standard. There are so many staff members here, you'd expect greatness. but all the nickel-and-diming and the lack of professionalism from the valet to the housekeeping and the manager, makes me realize I would have been much better off at a hampton inn.

During the past 3 years, we have been coming to South Florida, and we have stayed at the Trump in Sunny Isles, the Westin in Hollywood and at a small boutique hotel called Il Lugano in Ft. Lauderdale. All places were great, but we wanted to try this place out because it seemed so great and had so much for the family. BOY WERE WE WRONG.

9  Thank MontrealDad
Reviewed December 17, 2009

Our recent stay at the Boca Beach Club was the most enjoyable and relaxing vacation. The hotel is just beautiful. The staff was welcoming and helpful from the moment we arrived. The pool and beach are fun and filled with people, both hotel guests and beach club members. There are poolside tables for lunch with excellent food, and an impressive pool snack shop. In addition, the breakfast served in the lobby restaurant is highly recommended. A very short shuttle drive away, are more wonderful restaurants at the beautiful and historical Boca Resort...also a great place to stay but not on the beach. Although the food at both the club and resort restaurants was very expensive, it was consistently great. All in all, our stay at the beach club was amazing and we can't wait to go back.