“Well-oiled machine”

Ranked #1 of 27 Hotels in Boca Raton
Dubuque, IA
“Well-oiled machine”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I stayed at the Boca Beach Club President's Day week 2013. This is obviously one of BBC's biggest weeks as the place was jam packed and the room rates were sky-high. The Concours d' Elegance was being hosted over at the main resort, which added even more people into the mix. Some people complain about the busyness of the Beach Club, but gosh you are visiting the 'it' place in the height of tourist season. The environment is going to be pretty electric no matter where you stay. To expect a gold/diamond upgrade during this time of year is pretty far-fetched. If the room upgrade is that important, I suggest paying for it...

The Beach Club is really a special place (to me anyway). I had an ocean view room, had the chance to attend a members-only wine dinner (members were incredibly friendly and FUN), ate at a few of the other restaurants, went to the car show, and hit up the spa. All of the events were a blast (though obviously on the high-end). Food was all great, but the mac and cheese at 501 East is consistently lukewarm. All but one member of the staff (seemed to be in charge of the pool area) was friendly and accommodating. Fairly minor nitpicks. After visiting this place year after year, I do notice a lot of the same faces still working here. I think that says a lot about the type of guest experience BBC wants to provide.

So yes, the place was extremely busy but they handled it very well. It was never a problem getting waited on at the pool or up at the Ocean Bar. I do hope to keep the BBC tradition going next year.

1 Thank ben1233

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (456)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We booked a long weekend with this hotel in conjunction with an event we planned to attend several months in advance. When making the reservation we requested and were assured we would receive a tower room on a high floor with ocean views. Upon arrival (late on Friday night) we were told that we had been "upgraded" to the yacht club part of the building. The rooms we were shown appeared quite nice... until the next morning when the sun made clear that perhaps our "upgrade" wasn't quite that. We overlooked a gigantic expanse of air conditioning ducts which were both unattractive and noisy.
In addition to this issue, we found that the long corridor that we needed to walk through to get into the main lobby area doubled as a kitchen/catering staging area of large events. For many hours on two seperate days of our three day stay we had to dart and dodge through rushing food trays, tables, and other service items in order to pass through. This was hardly a first class experience.
The hotel has an issue with housekeeping as well. The room was not cleaned up until after 5:00 either day.
When we brought the issues to the attention of the front desk we were offered another room (which we declined as we were busy with activities surrounding the events we were attending) or a $20 credit to our bill. We suggeted that the manager consider the situation and contact us with another solution.
The following day the manager on duty agreed to discount our bill by 50% of one night's stay which we accepted. While we appreciated and accepted this offer, we can not help but feel that this hotel has a great deal of work to do to bring it's level of sevice up to first class standards.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank reisenfraulein
bbcmgmt, General Manager at Boca Beach Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
I want to personally thank you for post on Trip Advisor and sharing about your recent stay with us. Providing our guests with luxurious and sophisticated guest rooms is a priority for us, and I wanted you to know, additional training will be available and enhancements to our property will be reviewed in order to better reflect the inspirational environments for which we strive. We understand that you expect flawless service and know that's exactly what you deserve while staying with us. We hope we'll have another opportunity to delver on our brand promise and show you our true hospitality.

Peter J. Serena
Reviewed February 26, 2013

The hotel feels very small with the staff being very personal towards you and it seems that they all get to know you quite well which is a positive. Our room was upgraded to a one bedroom suite. The room was double the size of a normal room and was very nice. One half was the lounge with a few sofas, a table and a separate guest toilette. The other side was a large bedroom with a large bathroom which was very nice. It must be added that the coffee machine inside the room produced some really crappy coffee. The pools at the hotel are very nice and so is the beach. However there were a few different types of sun loungers some far more comfortable than other, this laos made the pool area look a bit ugly and unfinished. The breakfast buffet was very nice with a big selection. My only real negative about the hotel is that every little thing that they do at the hotel seems to be chargeable and requires a tip; however this is in line with most other american resort hotels.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Traveller10126
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed February 26, 2013

This is a great hotel with a super service. The location is great straight at the beach.
The Skydeck rooms are a must. They have a fantastic terrasse overlooking the pool and the beach. The problem with this property is that guest of other Waldorf properties can use the pool and the beach. So this gets crowded like in a very cheap property.

Room Tip: Skydeck rooms
1 Thank Go100go
Reviewed February 26, 2013

We have stayed at this resort 3 times so far. Every year we stay at the Bungalows and have nothing bad to say about, in fact we absolutely loved our room. One year we came with a group of 9 and all stayed there in connecting rooms and everyone thought it was fantastic. My husband is a Hilton Honours diamond member and we have stayed in some of the best Waldorfs in the world NY and Rome to mention our faves and this is a uniquely Floridian but definitely a fovorite of ours.

We have 2 kids under 3 so the quiet of the bungalows worked for us and you get a private pool. It was so much fun for them to ride the shuttle we never had to wait longer than a couple minutes. The beach is Fantastic. If you are NICE AND POLITE you get amazing quality service. We would let the pool servers know we were there and they would check in all the time! The restaurants are all fantastic. The seagrill for dinner was delicious and the Italian place was a great experience all around. One thing you can count on us that you will not be bored. Between boat shuttles bush shuttles and all the properties restaurants and beach. Tennis, golf, kids club, water sports and spa there is something for everyone. Just walking the grounds is fun and beautiful. And the location is great if you want to try some local restaurants.

This year we are going again in just a couple of weeks and I am so thrilled for our trip!

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank RamnarineFamily
Athens, Georgia
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My two girlfriends and I spent the past weekend at the Boca Beach Club. It is a nice property, set on the beach along with a several pools. The beach is nice, sort of crowded due to the fact you are not only sharing the property with hotel guests but members of the Boca Beach Club as well. Our room was fine, I did use points to book my stay with them so I assume that affected where we were placed in the hotel. Our view was the parking lot, lovely. The bathroom is really nice, marble with a bathtub - that was probably the nicest part of the hotel. Although, the bathroom did not have a fan, which I think is really odd for an American hotel. I am a Hilton Diamond Member, so, I did receive a great greeting when we arrived, although, after our initial greeting, the service went downhill fast. We booked a cab through the concierge and she advised us it would be 20-30 minutes until they would arrive and she would come get us when he arrived. After quite some time, I checked in with her and she said it had still not come, but, she knew where we were. Then, we went outside and the valet notified us that the cab had come and left and it would most likely be another 20-30 minutes before another cab would arrive. Apparently, cabs are really hard to come by in Boca Raton, this is not due to the fact that the resort is in manageable walking distance to the downtown area. Getting a cab home was also a bit of a disaster and the front desk was zero help when we called to ask them. Our air conditioning also broke in our room, they literally had to replace the entire unit. We called when we got home to get it fixed and they sent someone but, due to the fact we had a do not disturb sign on the door they assumed we did not want to get it fixed (even though, we had just called). I suppose we can take some responsibility for this. I will say, that there was a bellboy/front desk person who was extremely helpful to us when we finally returned to the hotel. The amenities for Diamond Members are almost nonexistent. You could either get 20% off a spa treatment (which were exorbitantly expensive), 1000 bonus points or something else, I can't remember. I was disappointed there was no executive lounge - something I have become accustomed to at other Hilton properties. Would I go back here? Probably not. I am thankful I was able to use points to book this room as opposed to paying the full rate, I think I would be a lot more irate about our stay. To me, it just did not really seem to fit my expectations for a Waldorf hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Champuga81
bbcmgmt, General Manager at Boca Beach Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
We regret that we were not able to provide you with the quality of service you deserve during your recent stay. We strive for unparalleled service delivery at our hotel, and we are always looking for ways to ensure that each guest experiences the very best we have to offer. I am sorry we fell short of providing this and I'm working with our staff to ensure our guests find that level of service at our hotel. Your feedback regarding the cab service, AC unit, and executive lounge will help us to continue to improve our training processes and ensure we're meeting guest needs. We hope you will return to stay with us to experience the results of that work firsthand.

Peter Serena
Charlottesville, VA
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We were sent here after another hotel overbooked. Since we were traveling with a child, we phoned ahead and asked that a foldout be ready when we arrived. It was nevertheless not ready until an hour after that, 45 minutes after we reached the hotel, 1 AM, in spite of several members of the bell staff being visible (and motionless) behind the front desk. When I proposed, about half an hour after our arrival, borrowing some cushions from the lobby so that the kid could get some rest, the manager threatened to "chuck" me out of the hotel. The hotel is old-style Florida: everything is huge (hallways, furniture, pictures, etc.), tasteless, and musty-smelling. (You used to have to go to Miami Beach to find this kind of thing, but Fort Lauderdale has apparently caught up.) We never saw the sea views that are supposed to be the great attraction--I believe they're there, and that's what is keeping me from giving the lowest rating. But nothing in our experience was anything but terrible. (We left the next day for the other place, which was apologetic and accommodating in the way the Boca Beach Club never tried to be.)

Room Tip: Make sure you can see the water.
4 Thank gitful_nedboc
bbcmgmt, General Manager at Boca Beach Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at the Boca Beach Club. I am disappointed that your visit with us was not as pleasant as we all would have liked. Your feedback is appreciated as it allows me to perfect our service moving forward. I do hope that you return in the future and give us the opportunity to impress you with the service.

Peter J. Serena
Ocean Lodge
Ocean Lodge
#10 of 27 in Boca Raton
Embassy Suites by Hilton Deerfield Beach - Resort & Spa

Been to Boca Beach Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!