“Worst Hotel! Do Not Book Or Arrive To No Room & No Refund!”
Review of Ocean Lodge

Ocean Lodge
Ranked #9 of 27 Hotels in Boca Raton
Reviewed August 23, 2008

DO NOT BOOK THIS HOTEL OR YOU WILL ARRIVE TO NO ROOM AND NO REFUND!!! Also don't be fooled by the oceanfront hotel! The hotel is a dumpy little building with no beach in sight like you see in the pictures! Across the street is the beach, but it is covered by a hedge of high trees that are too thick to see through/walk through. You have to drive far down the road to find an entrance to get to the beach! Anyway, I booked this stay through Expedia and we arrived in the afternoon and the door was locked! We called Expedia as instructed and they tried for over an hour to reach the hotel, including their emergency number without success. So they booked us another hotel nearby and assured me a full refund. Well, after months of calling Expedia, they finally tell me the hotel has refused to refund the money to Expedia and therefore, Expedia refuses to issue me a refund. So now I have to file fraudulent transaction charges through my bank instead to attempt to get my money back. This is also a warning regarding Expedia and how they do business! I am a travel agent and I have been booking travel for years and this is a first! I only used Expedia because they had such a great discount rate! It was NO discount! I had to pay a lot more for the Hilton nearby and got charged for the other hotel too!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
3  Thank MichellePinellasPark

Reviewed June 23, 2008

While the hotel is in a great location and the rennovations are great too-the manager is terrible. I arrived to find no one in the office at 'check in time 3:30pm. There was no sign on the door just locked door and no one to be found. I drove around for a bit and went back, the manager was a rude yound kid who seemed to be bothered by me. I asked if he could recommend any good restaurants in the area and he simply said 'no', handed me my keys and that was it. The room was clean and the housekeeping staff was nice-the location is great. Upon checkout (11am) the office was closed and locked, I received no receipt and just left my key in the mail box-hopefully the sleeping manager got it and not someone else. The hotel has great potiential and with the right manager could do well, however this one slept all day, never could be found and/or was smoking cigerattes outside. I would not stay there again simply because of him.

• Stayed: May 2008
1  Thank luckytravelsUsa
Reviewed June 8, 2008

I booked this hotel based on information from TripAdvisor. We were looking for something very near the beach, so that my daughter and I could enjoy ourselves while my husband did work during his business trip.

This hotel has an excellent location for the beach--you can walk 1/2 block, cross the road, and enter the park. The hotel has a closet of beach towels, toys, and chairs for guests. The hotel pool is also very nice, and the grounds of the hotel are kept very clean. My daughter was very happy there.

Our room was nice, but as others have mentioned, the housekeeping staff does not seem to understand what it means to provide service. This is a HOTEL after all, not a condo rental. That aspect was a disappointment.

• Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed April 22, 2008

I stayed 4 nights at the Ocean Lodge this April, 2008. Upon arrival, the college kid manager was bothered that I was checking in. He gave me a key to an upstairs room as I requested to be on the 2nd floor. I brought up my bags and opened the door. The room was obviously occupied with clothes thrown everywhere and the biggest thigh-master I had ever seen on the bed.

I discreetly closed the door and hauled my stuff back down to the manager's office. He was surprised that someone was in 208 and went up to check it out himself. He did apologize and gave me another key for room 107, one door down from the coke machine, with no privacy. He followed me to the room without assisting with my luggage. Nice touch.

He advised that he would move me upstairs the next day but he never followed up and with the hours he keeps, I wasn't ever able to catch him in.

The motel itself has some good things going for it. The beach is easily accessible and the motel itself is quite. They have a nice heated pool. The rooms themselves are okay. The renovation was spotty at best and I likened it to placing a tuxedo on King Tut's mummified body.

Aside from the worthless manager that needs to enroll in Hospitality School, the maid service needs improvement. The area rug in my room looked like it had not been vacuumed since the day it was placed in there. You do get fresh towels everyday and a slightly re-made bed but not much else. The rooms have microwaves, a toaster oven, and a small refrigerator.

Ocean Lodge is a diamond in the rough. With a manager that cares, a maid that knows how to vacuum and mop, and a little more updating, this would be a recommended place to stay. I would consider it again knowing that it is a bare minimum place. The mom and pop places up the road in Delray Beach (Wright By the Sea, Breakers On The Ocean) do a much better job at hospitality but are more expensive.

Upon check out, the manager “dude” just waived for me to place the room key in their mailbox. Being in a service industry myself, I would think he might like to at least make you feel welcome and hope for a future booking.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank Schuboca
Reviewed April 10, 2008

This hotel is in a pretty convenient location right across from the beach, especially since beach parking is limited and very expensive! The rooms have been updated and are quite nice. There are granite countertops, travertine tile floors, etc. The pool is heated and quite nice. The negatives are that the bed is pretty hard and the manager is really rude. Like someone else said, he sleeps till noon and gets mad when you wake him up to check-out. He is also very unhelpful and has a nasty attitude. The maid we encountered there is nice, but she didn't speak english. But then again, it is South Florida...

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 27, 2008

This was such a great spot. Literally just a five minute walk to the ocean and the room was lovely- simple and peaceful. The stone floors and fluffy white towels give it this great 1940's feel. Very sweet spot, will definately stay here again. The staff was very funny and kind- thanks!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed March 17, 2008

If you are looking for a Sheraton, marriot or just plain fancy hotel, this is not it. It's a 50's style hotel, across from the ocean. It's very quiet, nice rooms, peace-ful. The maid service was horrible. We had to ask for maid service twice while we were there a week and then all we got were clean towels. The floor was never swept or mopped, bathroom never cleaned, etc. in other words, maid service is not like you would expect at a normal hotel. if you can live with that, the rest of the hotel is nice except for the manager. He has a lousy attitude, slept until noon everyday, and had no control over the maid staff. Many people who we talked to that were staying there had similar complaints.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple