“Discount rate on hotels.com? Read the fine print...”

Boca Raton Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #5 of 27 Hotels in Boca Raton
Reviewed February 9, 2010

I was excited to find this hotel on hotels.com at a discount rate. I would have been better off at a more expensive hotel! If I had read the fine print on hotels.com I might have seen that the hotel charges a $20 daily service fee for the key limeade they serve in the lobby, providing the paper and maid service, etc. We rented a car while in Boca and the charge to park it was $25 per night plus tips for the valet every time we came and left (there is no self parking available). There were staff everywhere to help, but that meant tipping constantly. Because we came at a discount rate, we were given a room in the old part of the hotel which has a nice lobby and restaurants but is not close to the beach and the rooms do not have water views, or any views (ours was overlooking all the hotels old AC equipment and the hotel rooms on the other side). The windows don´t open and our room smelled like cigarette smoke. I recommend this hotel to those travelers who like an old world charm hotel with lots of service and don´t mind paying for it. I would recommend asking for a room in the tower.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank herestoyou

Reviewed February 2, 2010

Rooms were nice and spacious. We had a balcony overlooking the yacht club which was very pretty. Wanted to specifically mention the great F&B outlets. Had lunch/dinner at Morimoto and dinner at Cielo. Both were very good. Overall, a very relaxing and enjoyable couple of nights! Will be back.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 29, 2010

What an amazing time we had this past weekend as the winners of the Boca Resort's Facebook raffle. The service was impeccable; your staff are so welcoming and accommodating. Imagine our surprise, when we entered a beautiful room with champagne and chocolate covered strawberries (my favorite). We played tennis Saturday afternoon and Eric, the pro was great and invited us to play without charge. Saturday night, we had an incredible dinner at Lucca-it was so yummy and our waiter was excellent. Afterward, we headed to Ceilo for your happy hour-what a great idea to draw people out. The view was spectacular and the bartender so gracious-the martinis were the perfect dessert. Sunday, we headed to the Beach Club-I had never been there and what a great place for children. We will definitely be back with our kids to enjoy this resort. The bad weather didn’t stop our good time, we sat at the outside bar, listened to the rain and had lunch. We then headed for our spa treatments. The ritual bath was relaxing, but the aromatherapy massage was the best! I get massages pretty regularly, and this was the best one I have had by far!!! My husband said the same for his facial. We laughed because it was so relaxing that he fell asleep a few times and had to apologize for snoring! Relaxed, we then headed to the room to watch the JETS game-my husband being a big fan, was thrilled they won and we celebrated with dinner at Old Homestead. Again, the food was wonderful. We can’t begin to say thank you enough! We had an amazing time and will plan to visit Boca Resort once a year to relive our relaxing and romantic weekend!! We always appreciate all the good deals the Resort passes along in the summer and fall and we will be planning on a visit sometime then.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 26, 2010

My husband & I and our 2 year old spent 9 VERY long days at this hotel. My husband was there for a meeting that took place at the hotel, that's why we stayed there. We travel a lot for my husband meetings and they are all at very nice and expensive hotels, that's why I was so disappointed with the rooms and the service we got for the price we paid. First of all, this property is not on the beach: you have to get on a shuttle to go to the beach club, unless you stay at the beach club. We stayed at the cloister and the tower in the main compound. Stay away from Cloister, although it is updated (granite counters, flat screen TV) , the room was tiny and dark and claustrophobic. the halls were not updated though. After several days of suffering we changed our room and went to the tower. The room was big and had nice view but it was not updated and was very very noisy. The front desk people were unprofessional and lacked common sense. The mini bar key broke in the lock and took 4 phone calls and 36 hours to be fixed.
The hotel will nickel and dime you to death: $25 if you need a fridge. (even in Las Vegas they gave me free refrigerator because I was travelling with a baby.) Resort fee, parking fee. Even if you go to the Hertz car rental office that they have on site, they will charge 20% convenience fee!!!!
There is no restaurant or grocery stores in walking distance range of the hotel so you are stuck with the restaurants that they have at the hotel. They are expensive and not very good. Specially the old homestead steak house: my husband got sick after we dined there. stay away from it.
Everything is dated, old, and broken. The tower's sliding door was broken. One of the elevators was out of service too, which became available the morning we wanted to checked out and we made the mistake of stepping into it! We got stuck in there along with 7 other adults, one child, one stroller, and our luggage; not fun at all! After 30 minutes the hotel maintenance people dragged us out (we were stuck between two levels) but there was no sign of repair team. We got lucky we did not miss our flight!
In short, very bad service and not worth the money.

3  Thank DelbarKhanoom
Reviewed January 15, 2010

Had a great time at the Boca resort. The service was exceptional and the rooms were newly renovated. The only thing that was less than impressive was the food.

1  Thank wuhhoo
Reviewed January 13, 2010

We just came back from a conference held at this hotel. This hotel and the people who run it should be embarrassed and ashamed. I originally booked our room 2 months prior to our arrival. I was given a Tower View room, although I really wanted a beach front room, however according to the reservations department, the beach rooms were already reserved. They suggested I place my name on a waiting list and should one become available they would call me. I was never called. In fact, I called them a few times to follow-up. Interestingly, some of our colleagues who decided to attend the conference at the last minute were all given beach front rooms. Imagine my surprise. The Tower View rooms appear dated and worn and strangely are completely different from the modern lobby decor that one might expect. There is nothing luxurious about this hotel and it made me wish I was home. The service at the hotel is abysml. The door men, often 2 at time would not bother to open the door. Not a big deal, but we asked for a cab. They made us walk out in the rain without an umbrella when they should have waited for the cabs to enter the covered area so we could remain dry. Having gone to the front desk on a few occasions, I found the staff to be unresponsive and borderline rude. The WiFi at the hotel is spotty and unreliable. I had to log in multiple times before I finally gave up. The prices for food and drink are outrageous. The Morimoto restaurant charges exorbitant prices for standard sushi and as Moriomoto is not the chef here, it's difficult to justify spending $275 per peson on sushi meal. Sadly, the drinks here are just as bad. We went to the bar, a vodka tonic costs $15.00. We went to Hawaii last year and stayed in a much nicer place and the drink s were half the price. I have trouble understanding how this hotel is getting by with the prices they charge. The final insult, we had a flight that wasn't leaving until 7 pm. I asked for a late check-out and I was told they could not help and we had to leave the room. Even though we later discovered the cleaning people were too busy to get to our room unitl much later in the day. My experience staying ranks in my top 5 worst hotel stays. I would warn other conference planners to avoid utilizing this hotel. It was truly disappointing and sullied my impression of Boca Raton.

4  Thank reddyn
Reviewed January 10, 2010

Stayed over the Christmas and New Year holidays 2009. It was like a sunny winter wonderland. The room was beautiful, views to die for (even got a lovely Christmas gift). Ate in almost every restaurant. Lucca and Morimoto were so so good, they were beyond words. Serendipity was incredible as well. Also ate by the pool and at the beach club, yes, the beach in DECEMBER. Had a great time on NYE, they really put on a great party, actually many parties around the property. Had a great time. The service was terrific, the staff was always helpful and friendly and did a great deal to make the trip so very enjoyable. Spent a day at the spa (OMG), couldn't get enough! Played golf 2 or 3 times, and I have to say the course was stunning. So green, so smooth and really beautiful.
It was one of the most enjoyable stays we've ever had . . . anywhere! If you have a chance, you have to go the the Boca Raton Resort, it was fantastic, spectacular. We'll definitely be back.

• Stayed: December 2009