“Sprawling Resort Offers Varied Facilities”

Boca Raton Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #5 of 27 Hotels in Boca Raton
Reviewed February 19, 2014

It is difficult to review the Boca Raton Resort & Club as though it were a unitary whole, when in fact it is a sprawling resort requiring a shuttle bus to get from one building to another, let alone to the associated beach club. We stayed at the Boca Bungalows, which are a healthy walk from the main hotel.

The best thing about our room was that it spacious: a good-sized bedroom, a comfortable living room with a terrace, a dining area with a large table, and an eat-in kitchen stocked with china and cutlery. In addition, the bathroom offered a separate bathtub and shower.

Those who stay at the main hotel and park their cars have to pay a stiff valet fee. At the Bungalows, parking is free. When you check in, ask for very detailed direction to get to the Bungalows: it’s not easy to find the right place, especially at night. Also, ask for a card for your dashboard so that the gates will open automatically for you. We heard such a card existed, but did not get it, so we had to put our room key into a slot, which did not always work easily.

WiFi is also free, but not quite as strong as one might wish it to be. I’m not sure how well it works in the main hotel.

We had two flat-panel TVs, one in the bedroom and one in the living room. It would have been nice to have a DVD player, but there was none. The bedroom did have a clock radio that has a dock for iPods.

A golf course adjoins the Bungalows. I don’t play, so I don’t know how good the course is, but it was a relaxing place to walk. I suppose it would be wise to stay away from the iguanas, if you see one, as I did. There are also Har-Tru tennis courts at the resort’s fitness center. The Bungalows have their own swimming pool.

If you care about having space to stretch out, the type of room we had was ideal. If you are a stickler for the latest in interior decoration, then the room would have been acceptable but less than optimal.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,472)

Reviewed February 19, 2014

Staff was wonderful. The room I was in, 611 I believe was dated. Hardware was tarnished, shower head was aweful, room smelled like it may have been a smoking room at one point. Accomadation was not satisfactory.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria
bbcmgmt, General Manager at Boca Raton Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a comment on TripAdvisor regarding your recent experience at the Boca Raton Resort & Club. I do apologize about your guest room 611 in our traditional Cloister building. I am very sorry that you were dissatisfied with your guestroom 611 in our Cloister building. There is no excuse for the issues you described in your guestroom. We are addressing your concerns to the best we can with our housekeeping and engineering team. There is a plan of action to renovate the entire Cloister building including all the guest rooms early this summer. We do hope you will give us another opportunity.

Kelly Vohs

Reviewed February 19, 2014

I travel a lot and stay at some very good hotels around the world. If you are looking for a relaxing, comfortable, sort of a Caribbean get away without leaving the US mainland then this this is the place. Service is impeccable, the breakfast is expensive but worth every penny considering the quality of the food and service. The spa is like nothing I can compare to including high end spas in Scandinavia. You can find cheaper resorts to stay at but it would be very hard to beat the overall experience of this hotel. A great Valentine weekend!

Reviewed February 19, 2014

The grounds are gorgeous and the inside décor in the public areas likewise. Service by the bell men, car parks, desk personnel was all very attentive and efficient. But only average views from the room. The pool was a great place to hang out and see and be seen.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Upon arrival, the valet was a nightmare, and check in was nothing short of awful. The desk had 3 (what looked to be MANAGERS) standing around talking while several guests waited in line to check in. I had a large bouquet of flowers and a carry bag that I never once was asked if I needed help with. After waiting forn 20 minutes in line to check in, and upon engaging the front desk associate, after being told on the phone prior to me arriving that my room was ready, I was told he was searching for a room for me that was ready...HOW DOES THAT MAKE AN SENSE. The front desk associate was rude and disrespectful. As a hotel owner, I certainly expected the best from a Waldorf, however, my experience at the desk was far from it. I even have an email from a manager at the Walforf ensuring me that my stay will be exceptional and I would definitely be satisfied, however, this was not the case. I will not return to this hotel.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

We booked the room through American Express and asked for a king room - they gave us a double and said that's the only thing that was left.

And I was surely asked for a crib for my baby - twice, even before going up to the room, and the front desk reassured me that they prepared a crib for the baby. When we walked into the room, I thought I went to the wrong room because of the double beds and also the crib was not there.

So I called downstairs again and they had someone bring in the crib a while later.

The brib was rustic - I mean rustic. The painting chipped off from the crib and I had to clean the whole crib to make sure no more paint is coming off before the baby potentially eats it.

AND then I looked at the room, I am not particularly picky but honestly I can't tell if the sheets are clean but surely the floor mat in the bathroom was DIRTY. I felt so gross I had to wear my own slippers right off shower.

and the rooms definitely need work done. Paintings are chipping off, hardware discoloration, some of the furniture are as rustic as the crib, I really didn't expect it to be like this.

Despite all that, my husband and I had a great sleep, the mattress was great. I wish it was a king so that I can actually sleep next to my husband.

They also have a great selection of restaurants which I appreciate, they have the brand name places from NY to Florida, but I think it didn't exactly wow.

Because of the great sleep and the selection of restaurants, I give it a 3 stars. Otherwise, judging only the room, sorry I might have to drop it to 1-2 stars because the pillows really smells , the water knobs were really greasy and oily like no one ever clean them? and just the whole place feels OLD and USED (looking old is okay but if it feels old, it IS OLD).

Room Tip: I don't know, for me I only wanted a clean room and it wasn't it.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Hotel was classic beautiful, service was friendly and efficient, surrounding grounds and golf course stellar and the location on the Intercoastal cool.

However, the best description I can offer of their restaurants, 501, Blu and Lucca is to compare them to dining at a Macaroni Grill or Red Lobster. Certainly unexpected when compared to other upscale resorts like the Breakers or Ritz Carlton - Amelia Island. Very disappointing.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business