“Service excellent, room felt a little stale”

Boca Raton Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #6 of 27 Hotels in Boca Raton
Reviewed December 12, 2012

I spent three nights at the Boca Raton Resort for a work conference and came away with mixed opinions on the property. I had a room in the Cloister, which I am guessing is the oldest part of the property. While there have definitely been some cosmetic updates made to the room (carpet, new bedding, flat screen TV) there were some major mechanical issues with the air conditioning and fan system in the room. When the air conditioning would turn on it sounded like an airplane taking off - even with earplugs in at night I could hear it come on, and without the earplugs I would not have been able to sleep. The system also seemed to have a mind of its own regardless of where you set the temperature - when I returned to my room after meetings one day it was 57 degrees and would not turn off. I called service and they had someone to my room within 15 minutes to fix the problem, although it still sounded like a tank whenever it kicked on.

The bathroom was nice albeit a little small, and the layout was somewhat awkward. My room had only one sink and it would be tough to have two people in there at once. The toilet was also right next to the shower, and a little hard to negotiate. I did love the rainwater shower head that was used in the shower. I talked to some people who had rooms over in the tower, and it sounds like those were better than where I stayed. Also had a better view, as all I got to look down at was the mechanical stuff on the roof of the main building.

As I was there for work I did not get a chance to use many of the amenities, although the pool area looked nice and access to the Intercoastal Waterway was nice. I did venture down to the fitness center, which was pretty standard for a resort. All of the equipment was in good working order and I did not have to wait to use anything at 8:00 in the morning, which was a pleasant surprise.

I had dinner one night at Cielo, which was my best dining experience at the resort. Really enjoyed the fresh fish options at dinner. Ordered room service a couple times when not at conference events and it was good but not great. Food did come out hot and within a half hour each time, but it was pretty bland. Service was always friendly and helpful, which was a common thread at the resort. Some of the best service I have experienced while traveling in a long time.

Overall I enjoyed my time at the property and am disappointed I didn't get a chance to explore it more. If I return for a conference or event in the future the one thing I would do differently is get a room either in the tower or at the beach club, as my room did feel a little dated.

Room Tip: Avoid the Cloister if you are a light sleeper!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed December 11, 2012

We had stayed here years ago, pre-renovation, and it was tired and a bit musty. What a pleasant surprise to see how the property was updated, yet retains its unique feel. This is a BIG resort, so don't look for a boutique experience, but we were upgraded to the Tower, which has a pool right off the elevators and feels like a hotel within a hotel. The restaurant selection (6 total) here is fantastic and we easily could have settled in and stayed here for a month. The breakfast buffet (included in many packages) was diverse and very good. Other than a problem with wireless Internet, which didn't work until we insisted on switching rooms, this was a near perfect experience. One other thing to keep in mind is that valet parking is mandatory, so that additional cost should be factored in.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I booked this hotel for a romantic getaway for two and was quite looking forward to this visit. Ive stayed at a few Waldorfs before so i knew what to expect as far as service. I was greeted at the front desk by Layla and she was very accomadating and funny as well! We were provided the luxury of staying in the Yacht Club which Layla so kindly showed us through the maze of meeting rooms.

Ben, the Bell Captain, then met us up with our luggage in our rooms. He was very nice in putting everything where needed and providing us with some brief information about the property. Great team member and great positive attitude.

The room was very nice and the bathroom was quite spacious. The view from our room was amazing as it looked over the marina and the balcony was great with seating area and chairs. The only thing we didnt like was the old style full screen televisions. The beds were very comfy and we slept well.

The only suggestion we had for the hotel was that the moment that the security booth checks our car in, then the information should be immediately passed along to valet so by the time my car arrives, they know my name and do not ask for it. Its the small things about Waldorfs that continually make me come back.

Note: You do have full access to all the amenities of the Boca Beach Club as well which is qutie nice.

Room Tip: Check out some of their banquet rooms as they are absolutely beautiful!!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 5, 2012

I thought this hotel was very strange. We arrived at check-in time after a miserable red-eye flight from the West Coast looking forward to checking in and getting to our room to rest and recharge. Our room was not ready for us to check in for FOUR hours. They weren't apologetic in the least, just completely and totally disorganized and frazzled. They told us to go to the pool (good idea- it was about 50 degrees that day). I must have called 5 or 6 times to check on our room before it was ready. So here we are wandering around the resort in our sweat pants, not even able to wash our faces or change our clothes - a complete waste of a day. Finally, when we get up to our room, it's a mess. The room was about 1 million miles from the elevator and required a compass to locate with so many twists and turns around every corner. The carpet was stained and fraying and had a general air of uncleanliness. We ate at Morimotos on site which was fine, but obviously not Morimoto in Napa. But it was fine. The wedding we attended was stunning, but this is not a resort we would have ever chosen to stay at ourselves. We will not be back.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Melissa R
bbcmgmt, General Manager at Boca Raton Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at our hotel. One of the cornerstones of the Waldorf Astoria experience brand-wide is unparalleled service and I assure you that the problems you experienced with our front office staff have been addressed. I apologize that your room was not available in a timely manner and we’re working with our housekeeping staff to on cleanliness protocols and enhancing our operations. We appreciate you alerting us to this issue, and I ask that you contact me if you have any other concerns.

Peter J. Serena

Reviewed December 4, 2012

We've been staying here for over 20 years and have enjoyed watching the changes. The spa is the main attraction but the golf course is also beautiful. And of course the location in Boca Raton, FL couldn't be better. greata for families or couples just looking to get away.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 4, 2012

I stayed for four nights for a conference. The room is small, noisy and old. The tile in the bathroom was very dirty, and I had three roaches around the vanity area during my stay. All the staff did was leave a voicemail asking if my 'pest problem' was resolved after I left the second one covered for them to see. That same night there was another roach. This is an expensive hotel, even with the conference rate, and all of the additional items (parking, food, etc.) are very expensive too. I don't mind paying if I am getting value, but this experience and room quality was terrible. I was by far not the only one dissapointed from our groups.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank mgatl11
bbcmgmt, General Manager at Boca Raton Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2012

The health and safety of our guests is of the utmost importance and is always a focal point of our operations. We work closely with a professional pest control company to proactively prevent and swiftly address any pest situation that might occur. We have reviewed your comments with our staff, and I assure you that the situation has been addressed. I'm terribly sorry this was not rectified before the end of your visit. Please contact us directly so we can gather more details and assist in making things right.

Sincerely
Peter J. Serena

Reviewed December 2, 2012

We have traveled the world. Usually it is NEVER the same area or hotel. Even when we return to Rome its never the same hotel. This is the one exception. We stay at either the Tower for the view (make sure it is water view) or the Yacht Club on a concierge level. They have several top restaurants on site, a wine list second to none, a beautiful beach with easy access from the main hotel and "peace". My wife and I sit in the lobby at night and listen to the solo artist and dance. I do alot of business in this area but it just makes the trip so much better when you can relax at the end of a long day overlooking the ocean at the top of the tower restaurant, or sitting on the balcony and just listening to the ocean. We stay there 8-10 times a year and its never a dissappointment. A little pricey at times but you get what you pay for...service...food..locale..car service at your finger tips...and beautiful.

Room Tip: Think high floor for breathtaking views, on the water side. Stay at the Towers if you can take the...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Hyatt Place Boca Raton/Downtown
Wyndham Deerfield Beach Resort
Wyndham Deerfield Beach Resort
#1 of 18 in Deerfield Beach

Been to Boca Raton Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!