“No Amex, waitress with an edge”

Loose Caboose Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 22 Restaurants in Boca Grande
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Favorite with locals and visitors alike, great sandwiches, dinners, homemade ice cream in a restored train depot. Friendly waitresses and great food. We have a large, outdoor, pet-friendly patio area for dining. Lunch served from 11 to 4:30 daily. We will be opening December 26th for dinners too. Dinner is served every night except Wednesdays from 6 to 9 pm
Reviewed November 22, 2017 via mobile

We weren’t going to stop here because we love PJs and the Temp, but here they offer lunch a half hour earlier than those, starting at 11am. They also graciously let us sit outside from 10:30 to 11 when our relatives arrived.
Upon first glance, most sandwiches and apps are deep fried. I ordered the conch fritters which were the worst I’ve ever had: hard uniform balls of sandy gritty over cooked blobs. If you’ve had them in Key West, you’ve been spoiled. Don’t order these. My husband had grouper fingers, also deep fried, and they were much better.
Our lunch sandwiches were variable in quality. My fish wrap was passable, hubby’s salad nothing special, the cheeseburger fine and a blt ok. Ice cream average to good. But the waitress had an attitude we didn’t care for, from bringing an incorrect drink and blaming the diner to a curt response to most requests. Tossed the check back to us when we tried to pay with Amex and they don’t take it, not many do, she incorrectly declared.

Reviewed November 16, 2017 via mobile

We had lunch with 2 other couples on a very pretty day. Setting was great, fried green tomatoes fabulous, soup very hearty and everyone was pleased. Service was slow but it was a busy day.

Reviewed October 24, 2017 via mobile

Had a great Cuban sandwich which
I enjoyed tremendously. However, for the
atmosphere, I thought the prices were high which brought my rating down to a 4*.

Reviewed October 20, 2017 via mobile

We had to go here twice due to the limited hours they’re open (come on guys....ice cream is best after dinner!) But the flavors were great after lunch. We will be back on our next trip!

Reviewed October 7, 2017

We visited the Loose Caboose for lunch. We had walked a bit around downtown Boca Grande and chose the Loose Caboose, the environment and the menu looked good.
We sat outside overlooking a bit of the old railway track (the Loose Caboose is located within the historic train depot) and were warmly welcomed. We ordered drinks but the wrong drink was brought for my wife.
I ordered a grilled shrimp wrap and my wife a chicken sandwich. Both were served with chips and pickle, however we were disappointed - and surprised - to find the chips were just an unopened small individual pack of Lays chips. Also the cutlery was disposable plastic.
Our food was actually very tasty and we enjoyed it.
In summary, we had some good food but the place was let down by the presentation. Compared with similar establishments, I think that the Loose Caboose was rather expensive for what we received.

1  Thank Philip M