“It hasn't gotten any better”

South Beach Bar & Grille
Ranked #6 of 21 Restaurants in Boca Grande
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood
Good for: Scenic view, Families with children, Kids, Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Late Night, Dinner, Drinks, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Punta Gorda, Florida
“It hasn't gotten any better”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

As a local, I swore off South Beach a few years ago when the manager, a tortured soul named Bart (see other reviews for a full workup on this guy), announced locals were no longer welcome because the place could make more money gouging tourists with prices we were too "cheap" to pay.

Against my better judgment, I allowed myself to be talked into returning by guests who wanted to watch the sun setting over the gulf as they enjoyed a nice meal and a few drinks. The place is half empty. But the wait will be 20 minutes. So we shrug and head for the bar. My favorite beer, no bargain at the previous $3.50, is now $6.50. A scotch and water is $12. After 40 minutes, our table is ready and we're seated. Nothing. No menus. No water. No "can I get you something from the bar?" After a fun 10 minutes, surprise! Menus. "Miss ,,," Wasn't fast enough. I think she wanted to make her escape before we saw the prices.

My guests aren't cheap. They had dined at the Temptation the night before and had great food and service. While the Temp will never be confused with Taco Bell, it's still a tad less expensive than South Beach. The food eventually arrived before we all began collecting Social Security, No sense going into detail. Let's just say the rolls were fresh and move along to the bill. It really wasn't a bill. It was a car payment. For stuff that was marginally digestible. One of my friends wanted to complain about the food and service to the manager. I told her not to bother.

As we were leaving, Manager Bart was yelling at a customer who had apparently complained that the fresh grouper wasn't. Not the fresh part, with South Beach it's all frozen. He was complaining that it wasn't grouper. We decided to get out before the cops came.

Good to see that some things never change.

2 Thank active_passive

Cape Coral, FL
“Great Casual Dining on the Beach!”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

My friend and I went to the Beach at Boca Grande this weekend. After spending time on the beach, we looked for a restaurant nearby. Most of the restaurants on the island were closed. We learned that many of the restaurants close during the month of September and reopen October 1. We found this restaurant at the end of the island. The grilled chicken wrap was large and delicious and their onion straws were great! We also enjoyed the friend shrimp. You can sit indoors or outdoors, with a beautiful view of the ocean.

Florida
“Good food with a fabulous view!”
Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

My daughter and I ate lunch last week at South Beach Bar & Grill while vacationing in Boca Grande. Our meal was very good, had some unique choices, and enjoyed the great view while we were eating. My daughter had a wonderful fried green tomato BLT on sourdough that was out of this world! I chose the seafood strudel and it was good but strong tasting. The restaurant is not fancy but comfortable and fun. After lunch we walked on the beach and then swam awhile. The beach is always so beautiful in Boca Grande and I love it when it is quiet this time of year. We will definitely go back and eat here again.

Clermont, Florida, United States
“Good Food. Steps From The Beach!”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Visiting Gasparilla Island and it's beautiful beach put you miles from most restaurants. South Beach Bar & Grill solves that problem. Located at the south end of the beach with it's back porch facing the Gulf of Mexico, this restaurant is a welcome oasis of cold beverages and good food. You can make it a destination or stroll in from the beach. (Shirt and shoes required) Outside tables enjoy the sounds and sights of the beach, while inside diners are able to retreat from the heat and sun into the cool air conditioning. Seafood favorites and american fare are on the menu. I highly recommend the fish tacos.

• Visited August 2012
Tampa, Florida
“Great Location and Food, Service just OK.”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Six of us visited Boca Grande and decided on lunch at the South Beach Bar & Grill. We were the first group in the place and the hostess, who was very nice sat us outside near the cooling fan, which was great! My wife asked for a lunch suggestion and was told the seafood strudel was the best dish on the menu. We all ordered and every time we asked our waitress for something, she would have this facial expression the made us think she wasn't too happy to have us there. Now a party of 6 or more has the gratuity automatically added to the check, so she may have felt that she didn't need to try too hard. Regardless of the service, the food (especially the strudel) was execllent and we will be returning to the Grille!