“Great out of the way place to chill for the day.”
Review of Boca Grande Beach

Boca Grande Beach
Ranked #1 of 17 things to do in Boca Grande
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We rented a house in the Rotonda area and found a brochure about the beaches here and decided to drive down and ride our bikes around. It is only about a 10 minute drive from Rotonda to the toll to cross into Boca Grande, six bucks for a car. We drove and parked at one of the state park parking spots with beach access. It was 3 bucks for the day to park ... really cheap. We rode our bikes around this quaint little town with small shops stopped for an ice cream at a harbor and got to see manatee's and dolphins frolicking in the shallow water. It was an awesome little place to visit. There used to be a railroad down the the end where there was a deep water harbor many years ago. Apparently this area was huge for Phosphate in the early days, anyway the railroad is gone and it is paved for bikes and people to walk and ride alone, as well as golf carts ... only battery operated ones no gas allowed :) Nice huge banyon trees dot some of the amazing houses along the beach.

The beach itself was beautiful, most days it was hardly even busy, nice sand to walk in with your favorite soul person and get lost for the day ....

2  Thank mikeyC181

Reviewed May 25, 2013

Boca grande is only a half hour from our home. The water is that gorgeous aqua blue. The town is quaint and the baby on trees are incredible.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

You know you're visiting a place they don't particularly want you to go when there's a $6 fee to get onto their island. However, it's a great place to spend a few hours and well worth the fee. I remember it was only a few years back when it was $3 and then $5. For me, the best moment is crossing the fist bridge and seeing a bird of prey (type of sea eagle) with a large fish between its claws having a snack - this is a regular occurrence here as they have nesting poles.

We always head straight down to the end of the island and park up in the state park ($3) area, walk across the beach to the water. Unfortunately the side tides are very strong and swimming is not allowed so I lay near the waters edge and keep cool. Further round the peninsula I don't think there's a problem. The lighthouse museum is well worth a visit as there are exhibits detailing the first settlers and why the island came to importance and you can then understand why there was a railway etc.

Shop and restaurant prices in the village are high but of course if you're one of the wealthy residents it's absolutely not a problem. The main shop in the village has high class stuff for sale and I always purchase my summer hats here as whilst they may be a bit more expensive, they are quality and "look the part".

If I won the lottery or (very unlikely) came into an inheritance then this would be where I'd settle - great beaches, great ambience, great folk and privacy. I can always dream!!!!!!!

4  Thank nnmercman
Reviewed May 2, 2013

We love this beach. It is very clean, unspoilt and an ideal place from which to watch dolphins, manatees and the numerous bird life. It is also a fantastic place to watch the sunset and we will certainly be doing that when we return in November 2013. There is a lovely beach cafe/bar closer to Charlotte Harbour end of the beach too.

3  Thank Wiltshirewall
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Really clear water! Also fun to watch the fishermen in the pass. A little scary knowing whats all beneath my feet

2  Thank nikki k