“if you are accustomed to luxurious bedding, this is NOT for you”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Boca Grande
Gasparilla Inn & Club
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Boca Grande
Reviewed March 12, 2010

After reading all about the Gasparilla Inn, I had high expectations of the level of accommodations we would experience. However, upon check in, our experience was quite different. We were in the Cottage area of the hotel, to which we had no complaint. However, I was surprised to see old (OLD) bedspreads - who uses bedspreads anymore? Hair in the bathtub, rock hard mattress, threadbare sheets-- stained carpets -- throughout the cottage, there are spots where the paint has been touched up - come on, let's paint the whole wall, don't you think? Service is nice, old world, but this place really needs a face lift.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank chicagolover59
gasparillainn, Public Relations Manager at Gasparilla Inn & Club, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2010

We appreciate all of our guest’s comments and suggestions, and are constantly looking for ways to improve upon the offerings at the historic Gasparilla Inn. This summer, The Inn received another expansive restoration throughout the resort’s facilities. Our guest rooms now feature high definition flat screen televisions and new luxurious 300+ thread count bedding, offering the most peaceful night’s sleep on our comfortable Tempur-Pedic beds. The Inn also completely renovated one of our unique guest cottages and refurbished the front porch entrance to our grand hotel with reclaimed Florida heart of pine flooring. We invite you to come explore and enjoy the various renovations and improvements to our little barrier island home this season. A warm welcome will always await you here at The Gasparilla Inn & Club!

There are newer reviews for Gasparilla Inn & Club

Reviewed February 3, 2010

Awesome place if your tired of your usual hotel.
This place reeks of history. Take advantage of the horticulture tour and the historical tour of the inn, no cost but very interesting.
Loved the bike paths everywhere. Wasn't impressed with the fancy restaurant at the inn. noisy , exspensive and food didn't do anything for me.
Beautiful white sandy beaches!

1  Thank marygrace4
Reviewed June 26, 2009

Have you ever stayed in one of the very old charming but very run down hotels, many in New England, where you can tell they are barely able to keep the place together and the food is bland and mushy?

Now imagine the charm of those old places but everything, and I mean everything is almost like the day the place was band new, the day it was built in 1900, and the food is almost as good as the best New York or LA restaurants of 2009.

Now imagine Spring break 2009 in Florida....take away the crowds, the noise, the tee shirts, tank tops, tatoos and all the other cultural wrong turns of America in the 21st century. No tee times. You don't need them. Throw in a smiling staff and smiling children and beautiful beach , a quiet quaint town, and a fishing Mecca.

Yes. Perfect. But it does not come cheap, though it is probably worth twice the price if this is your style.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
6  Thank homebody12
Reviewed June 25, 2009

My visit to the Inn was different than anyone who's stayed there before.
I fulfilled a 55 year-old dream of being a guest in the hotel where, at age 16, I operated the elevator, as well as cared for children of guests.

Back in the mid 50's I thought it would be the greatest thing in the world to be able to be a guest in that quaint, beautiful Inn. At age 71, on the first of June, I entered the front doors and was greeted by Jim, the "bellhop" (very nice and helpful gentleman) as well as the friendly desk clerk.

My intentions when visiting, was to relax, and do only what I felt like doing; some real R&R from my responsibilities at home. I did just that. I visited old friends/school mates, shops, the lighthouse, the beach club, and spent hours enjoying the hotel itself, and talking with the staff about my history at the Inn. I also celebrated my 54th graduation anniversary from Boca Grande High School. While eating breakfast that morning, Pomp and Circumstance was playing on the muzak. Coincidence? I have no idea.

Upon my departure the staff couldn't have been more polite and friendly. We took pictures, bidding one another farewell, and they sent me on my way, back to Central Florida. A dream come true.

It was great growing up on the island, and I enjoy returning now and then to see the few friends remaining there. I couldn't help but wonder if any of the families I knew who were guests at the Inn in the 50's still visit. I was assured many do return regularly.

I am so glad I had the privilege to visit the Gasparilla Inn and hope to one day visit again.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
5  Thank flcookie37
Reviewed June 8, 2009

Let me begin by saying that my family travels extensively. We spend Thousands every year on vacations. We are not society, but upper class family who expects service and amenities to match the price being paid. Upon checkin the young lady was NOT friendly in fact quite the opposite and bellboy did not even offer to help with bags. Rooms were nice enough, comfortable temperpeidic beds and small adjoining bath. We noticed with housekeeping that sometimes the rooms would be maid by mid morning other times not even made by dinner time. At times with turn down they would leave fresh towels and new glasses, coasters, etc. Sometimes they would not and leave the dirty ones on the floor. In the dining room we have had the BEST service we have ever encountered anywhere and the absolute WORST by other dining room staff. Constant checking with you anticipating your every need, to not even seeing a wait staff member and having your needs NOT be meet at all. This makes for very substandard dining experience when a family cannot eat together because a meal may not have been cooked as ordered or a simple as stopping back to refill a childs drink. It is ridiculous to spend the kind of money being spent and literally get up and get someone to get what you need. Not acceptable. The common areas may have ping pong paddles picked up one night by 10:30 p.m. then another it goes on really late. Lounge BZ's may close early one night but another night management lets guests be noisy after reasonable hours (well past midnight). At the pool bar we were overcharged several times for drinks but it was corrected. They prompltly run everyone off well before 6 p.m. Or at least make you feel unwelcome by 5:30pm. or so they put up the plastic gates and you don't have to be a genuis to get the hint. The beach area is nice and very relaxing. The lunches are good. Our family enjoyed the time we spent at the beach club. Overall its not the resort is terrible, just that there is this genuine warmth missing in the employees and management does not seem to care...the grounds, etc are nice enough and give you a feeling of staying on an old plantation. Some of the staff are wonderful but the ones who arn't really do effect the quality of your stay. For the amount of money our family spent on this vacation we could have easily gone to the carribean for less money and stayed at a posh resort there. So to sum it up until they can be consistent with their service we don't feel it was worth the money, as nothing is included and everything is quite pricey.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank misssbliss
Reviewed April 27, 2009

My husband and I celebrated our anniversary at the Gasparilla Inn recently and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. I have always loved Boca Grande and the Gasparilla in is quintessential Boca Grande. Not overstated but still elegant and timeless. We stayed in one of the cottages and it was nice to have our own porch. The only minor complaint is that there was some noise through the walls. Everything else was top notch - the service, food, location, beach club, etc. The beach club was not too packed (and there were two weddings scheduled there that weekend!) and staff was attentive but not pushy. We ate at Pink's one night and thought it was delicious and the atmosphere was great as well. Overall, I highly recommend the Gasparilla Inn.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RCRGator
Reviewed February 19, 2009

I stayed at the Inn over the four day Presidents Weekend with my two daughters 11 and 13. We had two rooms in one of the cottages (#52). The rooms have been recently remodeled throughout and are very nicely done, including the bathrooms. High ceilings, big windows and a porch. There are two other rooms in the same cottage (that can all be connecting), and there was some noise (not much) through the doors.

Breakfast and dinner were in the Main Dining Room. The service was very good and the food was excellent. We were on the American Plan, so all meals were included. A jacket for men is required at dinner and gives it a nice relaxed touch. The breakfast buffet was outstanding. There is a beautiful view of the golf course on one side.

We rented a golf cart for the four days and it was waiting at our room. It is useful for getting to the beach club (about 1.5 blocks away) where there is a pool, restaurant for lunch, Har-Tru tennis courts and the beach. A very nice facility. They have music at sundown. The golf cart also got us the two miles up the road to rent a boat from Boca Boats, and a mile or so south to the light house.

It is a great Florida resort the way it used to be and we will definitely be going back. We went to Naples (Ritz Carlton at Vanderbilt beach) for 10 years, but I think this is more the was I like to enjoy the beach and Florida.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
#4 of 10 in Englewood
West Wind Inn
West Wind Inn
#5 of 20 in Sanibel Island

Been to Gasparilla Inn & Club? Share your experiences!