“Remote quite, yet adventurous island!”

Cayo Costa State Park
Ranked #2 of 17 things to do in Boca Grande
More attraction details
Owner description: Located just off Cape Coral, a ferry will take you to this island nature reserve known for its beautiful beaches and great collection of shells.
Reviewed February 24, 2013

This is one of the most beautiful places I have ever visited. The limited access by boat only means less tourists and less noise, which creates a better environment to learn, observe and enjoy the beautiful natural surroundings.

My wife and I camped for two days (next time it will be much longer). We arrived avia the Tropic Star at 3 pm, which is one of the only annoying things about this park. Late arrivals and early departures via the only charter company make your stay rushed.

You don't have to be a die hard camper to enjoy the sites but please do keep in mind to bring everything you will need for your stay. It being so remote makes it hard to find food or supplies. There is a small store ran by the rangers with limited supplies such as a few canned food matches firewood and your typical state park tourist merch.

Take time to enjoy the scenic trails and hope to see the gators and hogs(which we didn't get to see this time:/ ) you can either hike or bike the trails. Bike rentals and kyak rentals are available for a fare fee. We hiked and biked both are enjoyable and have their own cons. The bikes can't get through many sandy areas but you can cover more of the island with your bike.

Next time we are going to rent our own boat and bring our own kayaks to be ale to see more of the islands and the other remote areas and to create our own arrival and departure times to make our visit just a bit more enjoyable.

I recommend this site to all and can't wait to visit this remote island again!!!!!!!!!!!

10  Thank NicGnc
There are newer reviews for Cayo Costa State Park

Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

I love Cayo Costa. We have access to a boat while in Florida, so it's fairly easy to get to for us. The beaches are fairly quiet and peaceful, drop dead gorgeous, and usually have good shelling. Other beaches now pale in comparison.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

An early morning boat ride will take you to this location. Serene , shell covered beaches await. we brought a picnic lunch and enjoyed bonding with nature.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

I planned this camping get-away as a Valentines Day gift and was so excited since I asked 4 people through the reservation phone line for a campsite with a water view/on the water. I was told specifically that campsite #9 was just what I was looking for. Got to the marina ($8 parking) and Tropic Star Cruise (only ferry to get over there) picked us up. It was the slowest boat trip of our lives (took an hour)- once we got to the island, checked in and bought firewood ($9!!!! where normally our campgrounds charge $5)... Oh and a normal bag of ice = $4. Anyways, we took a truck/tram to the campsite and walked our stuff to campsite 9....passing by VERY open and non-private campsites... looking forward to our water view. We arrive and...whomp whomp!! The "water" is more like a football field away... over yonder (15 minute walk to beach). We were like.. there must be a mistake since I was told on multiple occasions that we'd have a water view. Nothing of the sort. I do have to say that out of all campsites, site #9 at least had a few trees for privacy, unlike the others. All toll, it was a nice night stay, however being from Florida, it really wasn't anything spectacular. The worst part was the following day when we were leaving. We had to get the 12pm truck to get to the dock 5 minutes later to wait for the 1pm ferry back. Waited and waited... Turns out the Tropic Star Cruise boat had a problem and was "indefinitely" delayed... We were like.. What in the world does that mean?! Well it means... We were stuck there for hours and hours until they could fix it and rescue us, while the rain clouds quickly approached.

The only reason I chose Cayo Costa was that I was told it was a water view campsite. I pictured us being ON the beach.. not miles away. Also didn't like being stranded without a Plan B to get off the island when we were scheduled to. I wouldnt go back there.. not really worth the long trip there.

Tropic Star Cruises: $35 each person (round trip)
Campsite: $20 (extra $10 if you switch the date, like i had to)
Ice: $4
Wood: $9
Parking: $8
TOTAL COST: $121

16  Thank travelchica319
Reviewed February 8, 2013

My father took me here on a church retreat and it is absolutley nice if you like the whole outdoor thing and wanna get away from everybody.
This is a place you would go if you like the florida nature. the water nots blue.

1  Thank christopher r