“Clean, comfortable, affordable”
Review of Big Pine Key Motel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Big Pine Key
Big Pine Key Motel
Ranked #4 of 4 Big Pine Key B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 18, 2011

I left a review of this hotel last year and thought I would update again for 2012. My husband and I stayed at the Big Pine Motel in Sept. 2012. My husband and I are the types that don't need to be pampered every momeny of our vacation but we have very high standards when it comes to cleanliness, security, and reputation of anywhere we visit. And after two visits now, the Big Pine Key Motel remains a favorite stay in the Lower Keys.

No, this isn't a "luxury" hotel and if you are looking to feel like royalty and spend more money on lodging then a boutique hotel in Key West is probably for you. But if you want to visit the gorgeous beaches at Bahia Honda State Park, you cannot do better for the price. Also, the motel is just a minute drive away from little local shops, a great bagel joint, Chinese restaurant, and the Key Deer Refuge. Our $89 room came with a fridge, tv, cold ac, two beds, microwave, table, and two chairs. It was comfortable, quiet, and we slept all through the night. Speedy check in and check out, trustworthy front desk staff who charged exactly what they quoted us.

All in all, a great budget option. We saved money by cutting out the frill and fluff but not sacrificing a bit of comfort and fun. We'll definitely be back!

Room Tip: If you can climb stairs, the rooms on the top floor are about $10.00 cheaper!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank TheFlyingFlinns

Reviewed August 16, 2011

We decided to head the keys after 11:45 a.m. last Saturday without reservation. There was almost no vacancy in the keys, so we decided to try Big Pine Key Motel, the only one that we found with a room available. It is an old motel but clean. They must provide everything, because except the beds and the A/C, there was nothing in the romm; no phone, no hair dryer, no shampoo, only two tiny soaps and to towels even when we paid for a two queen beds room. Internet, I did not even think to ask; when I asked for additional towels they looked at me as if I was crazy and told me that two towels for two guests, but they charged for two queen beds! (To be honest, the room has a microwave and a refrigertor).

The location is good, 7 miles from Bahia Honda State Park (The State of FL MUST clean the beach, it is full of algae!!!!!) and 30 miles from Key West; we were able to visit both. Also you can enjoy the key deers if you take the time to drive Big Pine Key, they are beautiful and used to people, so you can take pretty unique photos

Yes, I will be back, but I will try to get a better price, not a last minute one, or get another hotel in the area only a little more expensive.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jdiaz51
Reviewed June 4, 2011

the motel was clean, which is a big hit with me. the website and reality don't match up. all you see are pictures of the surrounding area, not the actual motel. should have checked trip advisor first! the quoted rate was $10 more per night. they were stingy on the pillows and towels. i requested more towels after almost falling in the wet bathroom(as there was no bathmat) and the front desk said they don't give towels for the pool. i wasn't asking for the pool, i was asking so i would bust my..you know! she finally gave me extra towels and an extra pillow. the cracked egg cafe is delicious, and right outside your "front door". 10% discount to motel guests, with rude waitresses. small pool. 5-10mins from bahia honda state park(GO THERE). cheap price for the keys, the bikers and motel appearance were a bit of a turn off. its more of a "super 8" vs a "marriot".

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank carrie831
Reviewed April 5, 2011

We stayed here to be close to Bahia Honda SP. It was a basic room, clean, and with the right price. I did not miss the phone and alarm clock but a small fridge would have been nice. We enjoyed the pool in the morning and evening. The restaurant in the parking lot is not a place I would go back to but a little ways down the road is a place I felt more comfortable eating.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 7, 2010

I wasn't expecting much for the cost, but was still disappointed. I've stayed at MUCH nice hotels in the Keys for the same price.
No phone or alarm clock in the room!
Rooms are pretty run down, but with a fresh coat of paint to help cover up the age.
Overall was pretty quiet, but the pipes made some awful racket at times.
Swimming pool is a funny term for what they have - whole pool is only 3 feet deep.
I was hoping for a bit better, not much, just a bit!
Only saving grace was location - right around the corner from Key Deer Blvd. and a short drive to the Key Deer National Refuge - very cute little critters!
DO eat at the Cracked Egg restaurant right outside the motel - great diner style breakfast food!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank housevet
Reviewed September 20, 2010

We travel to the Keys every year for business and we were very pleased with our stay here. The rooms are clean, comfortable, and had everything we needed (including a regular sized fridge). Everyone at the front desk was friendly and helpful from the time we made a reservation until our checkout. Being so close to Bahia Honda State Park & Key West was an added plus, since we had little downtime. The surrounding nature preserve adds to the charm...Key Deer everywhere. There is a bike rental up the street, a chain supermarket close by, and a restaurant right on property. This is an excellent value for an excellent room at an excellent motel. I would definitely stay here again. Thanks again Jesse, Sue, & Ruby!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank ludaworm
Reviewed May 20, 2010

My wife and I stayed here for one night after driving through the keys. Bahia Honda state park had nice beaches and was only about 15 mins away. We saw lots of Key Deer around and had about a 20-30 min drive to key west the following morning. The room itself was clean and the motel had a pool which looked fine but we didn't use it. Not bad value really but wasn't anything too fancy which is what we expected. The No Name Pub is nearby and we ate dinner there, left a review for that too

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Big Pine Key
Courtyard by Marriott Marathon Florida Keys
Parmer's Resort
Parmer's Resort
#2 of 2 in Little Torch Key
Little Palm Island Resort & Spa, A Noble House Resort
Little Palm Island Resort & Spa,...
#1 of 2 in Little Torch Key
Looe Key Reef Resort
Looe Key Reef Resort
#1 of 1 in Ramrod Key
Sugarloaf Lodge
Sugarloaf Lodge
#1 of 1 in Sugarloaf Key
Old Wooden Bridge Fishing Camp

Been to Big Pine Key Motel? Share your experiences!