“Had a great time”

Big Pine Kayak Adventures
Ranked #3 of 22 Tours in Big Pine Key
More attraction details
Owner description: Join Capt Bill Keogh and His eco-tour guides on an outdoor adventure of a life time in the Florida Keys. Bill is the author of "The Florida Keys Paddling Guide" and has been a professional photographer in the Keys for three decades. Using kayaks,paddlecraft and/or motorboats we explore the remote regions of the Key Deer and Great White Heron National Wildlife Refuge backcountry waters departing from our dock at the historic Old Wooden Bridge Fishing Camp.
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Usually you get annoyed with tour guides in this case it was the total opposite. Captain Bill was fantastic and knowledgable with where we needed to be at during the winds and what islands we need to be at. Scupper the dog accompanied our tour as well and relaxed on the boat. Would definitely go again. Saw baracoodas, stingrays, nurse sharks and tons of jelly fish. Great sense of humor!

1  Thank ajoelle76

Reviewed May 11, 2013

I don't remember the name of the guide (it was not Bill Keough), but I took a scheduled afternoon (3-hr) kayak tour. I'm a novice (having attempted kayaking once before), middle-aged (52), and not in top physical shape. The instruction and setting up prior to our going out was important to me. The preparation, quality of equipment were, in my opinion, top-notch. The quality of the guide and local insights to the wildlife we did or could see were likewise excellent. The pace was such that I could momentarily lag a little, pull out a camera (from its waterproof case), and shoot some photos en route, and catch back up with the group without holding things up. The mangroves that we worked our way through were quite unusual and worth seeing/experiencing. The guide told us the mangroves are where he usually has group members capsize, not on crossing the channel out in the more open water. Key is that (as he explained to us pre-launch), when hunching down to get beneath a low branch, keep weight centered in the kayak (I almost failed to do that once, but the entire group got through without capsizing). The guide knew his stuff -- it was very obvious -- I could not have been more pleased, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend this to someone else. The guest is responsible for his/her own proper clothing, etc., of course. Recommend long-sleeve shirt, shorts allowing sufficient movement, a hat with sufficient sun protection (mine is from Columbia Sportswear -- has a rear bill with protection for the back of the neck), sandals or sneakers suitable for activity and which won't be damaged if they get wet, and I used sunscreen but didn't bring insect repellent (that would have been good). I never felt safety was unnecessarily compromised (although one should realize there is some inherent risk), nor did I have any question about the condition/suitability of the equipment or the experience of the guide. As I said above, I have no hesitation recommending this to someone else.

2  Thank Charles G
Reviewed May 6, 2013

My girlfriend and I took the "Daily Guided Tour" on April 10, 2013. The tour itself was interesting, could have perhaps more of a naturalist perspective of flora and fauna. This tour would have received a very good rating if it were not for a safety related issue: The winds that day were probably gusting 15-20 mph. At the end of the trip we had to paddle directly into the wind and current for approximately a quarter mile to the marina. Our tour guide paddled way ahead of the group and soon disappeared into the marina. It was extremely difficult paddling; so difficult that at times we were going backward. The wind was pushing us within six feet of a sharp rock seawall. During this time (20-30 minutes) the guide was nowhere to be seen. I felt that he should have stayed with the group to lend towing assistance to those that required it, or returned with an outboard boat to provide towing. This situation was very close to being an emergency. My girlfriend wound up with bleeding blisters on both palms. For the lack of the guide's safety awareness I have downgraded this review.

6  Thank dfullert
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Being experienced kayakers, we decided to rent two kayaks (they turned out to be the same brand we have back home) and do some exploring around No Name Key. Captain Bill could not be more accommodating and easy to deal with. He fixed us up with everything we needed, including a waterproof map, and off we went across the channel for a great morning. The price was right and the paddling was really enjoyable.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

We went with guide Greg through the mangroves. The group we were with consisted of 4 couples with varying levels of experience - from none to very experienced. We have kayaked for several years on local rivers (not heavy rapids), lakes and the bay. The trip across the gulf to the mangroves was calm. Our guide was knowledgable and patient. Once we got into the mangroves my husband and I stayed at the back so it was somewhat difficult to hear. Also, we understand that being at the front afforded a better chance of seeing wildlife. We did not see or hear everything but enough to make it worthwhile. Be prepared to duck branches and maybe get a little scratched as you grab for branches to pull yourself through - on a good bit of the trip through the mangroves you don't have room to use your paddle.