“Bahia Honda is one of the nicest beaches in the keys!”

Bahia Honda State Park and Beach
Full-Day Tour to Florida Keys Aquarium Encounters from Key West
Big Pine Key, Florida
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Bahia Honda is one of the nicest beaches in the keys!”
Reviewed May 12, 2011

There are several state parks in the keys, Bahia Honda is one of the nicest. It is a sand beach, nice clear water, swimming areas, snorkeling also. A great place to pack a cooler and spend the day ! Or night, great beach camp sites too!

1 Thank sandytuttle

• Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“There are 2 beach areas @ Bahia Honda - don't miss the oceanside beach!”
Reviewed May 10, 2011

I glanced at a few reviews on here, and I realized that they missed the big beautiful long white sand beach! We hung out at the little one on the bayside the day we went due to wind, but had the day been nicer, I would definitely have been at the oceanside beach (turn left instead of right when you enter the park). It's not as crowded and it stretches out quite a ways! Lots of parking too - just keep going if the first lot is full.

Visited April 2011
2 Thank ladytraveller99
Largo FL
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“"Naural" State Beach”
Reviewed May 8, 2011

I have camped for 4 days at Bahia Honda and was lucky enough to get a waterfront spot. This was a fantastic experience for my "hesitant" wife and two young kids. For the reviewer that did not like the seaweed on the beach, this is a state park, not a tourist beach, they let nature take its course (no beach "grooming"). That said, when I was there, we had NO seaweed and no crowds. This is one of the VERY FEW beaches in the keys.
We can't wait to go back some day.

Visited July 2010
Stowe, Vermont
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“I don't get it....”
Reviewed May 8, 2011

....I'm in agreement with MarkA93's assessment. We headed out to Bahia Honda from Key West in search of one of the country's "Most Beautiful Beaches". You've got to be kidding me! I guess it has a lot to do with your perspective. I guess that if you're from a land locked state and haven't seen the ocean, you may buy into this hype. We come from MA (nice beaches, but admittedly, not the most beautiful in the country) and we found this beach a real waste of time. We spend 15 minutes here and left.

Here's the real deal. If you are looking for sandy beaches to relax and play frisbee, this is not it. There's not much available sand. There few feet of beach is full of seaweed (and sand fleas). Also, the water is full of weeds and rock, so leisurely swimming is not a good option.

My guess is that the people who have rated this highly enjoy searching for marine life (although we didn't see it) and the "beauty" of the natural, unmaintained beach. If that is the case, they're right. I can't even see how this can be romantic. The smell of the rotting seasweed should put a quick end to the romance!

This is certainly not like the beaches of Miami Beach or Western FL. It's actually pretty disgusting - smell and all! I guess it is all in what you are looking for in a beach.

Good luck to the readers!

Visited May 2011
6 Thank Macks_Daddy
Frederick, Maryland
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“What. Are you all smoking?”
Reviewed April 19, 2011

This is the flimsiest excuse for a beach I have ever seen. No sand, no waves, just a lot of seaweed strewn across the beach, which consists of about 8 feet of sand and very smelly shallows that go out about 100 yards. You can't hope to swim here or set up a volley ball net, or throw a frisbee. Really, guys, the people above MUST have been smoking some killer weed to make those positive comments.
DON'T WASTE YOUR PRECIOUS TIME HERE!

Visited April 2011