“"Naural" State Beach” 5 of 5 bubbles

Largo FL
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“"Naural" State Beach”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2011

I have camped for 4 days at Bahia Honda and was lucky enough to get a waterfront spot. This was a fantastic experience for my "hesitant" wife and two young kids. For the reviewer that did not like the seaweed on the beach, this is a state park, not a tourist beach, they let nature take its course (no beach "grooming"). That said, when I was there, we had NO seaweed and no crowds. This is one of the VERY FEW beaches in the keys.
We can't wait to go back some day.

Visited July 2010

• Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Stowe, Vermont
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“I don't get it....”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2011

....I'm in agreement with MarkA93's assessment. We headed out to Bahia Honda from Key West in search of one of the country's "Most Beautiful Beaches". You've got to be kidding me! I guess it has a lot to do with your perspective. I guess that if you're from a land locked state and haven't seen the ocean, you may buy into this hype. We come from MA (nice beaches, but admittedly, not the most beautiful in the country) and we found this beach a real waste of time. We spend 15 minutes here and left.

Here's the real deal. If you are looking for sandy beaches to relax and play frisbee, this is not it. There's not much available sand. There few feet of beach is full of seaweed (and sand fleas). Also, the water is full of weeds and rock, so leisurely swimming is not a good option.

My guess is that the people who have rated this highly enjoy searching for marine life (although we didn't see it) and the "beauty" of the natural, unmaintained beach. If that is the case, they're right. I can't even see how this can be romantic. The smell of the rotting seasweed should put a quick end to the romance!

This is certainly not like the beaches of Miami Beach or Western FL. It's actually pretty disgusting - smell and all! I guess it is all in what you are looking for in a beach.

Good luck to the readers!

Visited May 2011
6 Thank Macks_Daddy
Frederick, Maryland
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“What. Are you all smoking?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2011

This is the flimsiest excuse for a beach I have ever seen. No sand, no waves, just a lot of seaweed strewn across the beach, which consists of about 8 feet of sand and very smelly shallows that go out about 100 yards. You can't hope to swim here or set up a volley ball net, or throw a frisbee. Really, guys, the people above MUST have been smoking some killer weed to make those positive comments.
DON'T WASTE YOUR PRECIOUS TIME HERE!

Visited April 2011
3 Thank MarkA93
hood river, oregon
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“We can't wait to go back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2011

We stay in one of the cabins for 6 days in mid February and we loved the experience. The park is wonderful. The beaches were amazing. True, they don't clean the seaweed from the beach but who cares! This is not a spot for people who are looking for manicured beaches and poolside bars. This is a wonderful natural experience.

I do have some advice for those who are staying in the cabins. There is linen service just twice a week. You may want to bring beach towels or extra bath towels. The sofa sleeper is tough to really sleep on. We pulled the mattress off the sofa and used it on the floor. The beds are small and the bedding fairly light. You may want to bring your own pillow. The kitchen has most basic items. We needed to buy paper towels (due to lack of kitchen towels) and coffee filters.

The campground was cool, too. I would love to camping there if I don't live in 2000 miles away!

We cannot wait to go back! It was even better than we had dreamed.

Visited February 2011
2 Thank wino74
Vermont
77 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 120 helpful votes
“Stunning views, lovely beach”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2011

Took a day trip from Key West with our two young children (6 & 8) and had an amazing time. The beaches have lovely white sand. There is a lot of sea grass on the beaches (i.e. not raked/groomed) because it's part of the ecosystem but there area still plenty of sandy areas for chairs or towels. We found hermit crabs, tiny fish, laughing gulls, sanderlings, moon shells and even spotted a cowfish while snorkeling. The concession food was so-so - about what you'd expect so pack a picnic.

Visited February 2011