“According to them I'm a liar”

Big Pine Key Boat Rentals
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Our boats are safe, clean and ready for whatever you'd like to do; snorkel, swim, lobster, fish, or just spend a relaxing day on the water! We also rent snorkel and fishing gear, so just call ahead in order to make sure that you have whatever gear you need to maximize the fun! If it's been a while since you've been on a boat, we can provide some refresher boat operation or, if you've never driven a boat before, with a little bit of notice we can find you a captain. Love fishing, but never fished in the ocean? We can match you up with expert fishing guides. We also rent kayaks and paddleboards. So, just let us know how you'd like to spend your time on the water, and we will do everything we can to make your time on a boat the highlight of your vacation!
NoVA
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“According to them I'm a liar”
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Wanted to rent a boat a month in advance, for four people. 2 kids, mom, and dad. They only have one boat left, too small for 4 scuba divers. Fine with me. We only have two divers anyway, me and one kid, and we'll just dive with a commercial outfit off their boat. Can we take the small boat for our family stuff? No dice- "people lie to me all the time, and I won't rent you the boat because you have four scuba divers." In this forum I can't tell you exactly what I think about that, but let's just say I wouldn't do business with Big Pine Key Boat Rentals. And I'll bring my own damn boat to the Keys.

Visited June 2012
6 Thank 621surfnski

Overland Park
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Reasonable rental for water adventure”
Reviewed March 18, 2012

Big Pine service was very good, provided pre trip check out and reviewed getting out into the channel. Word of caution, only rent any boat if you are a seasoned boater or the seas are super calm. Though picnic beach was incredible and the only way to visit was via private boat, getting back was super challenging. We encountered 4-5 foot swells in the 21 ft boat and there was not much shelter. You can't hug the shore in the keys since it is so shallow. It was a great adventure and Big Pine was reasonable, but I think we'll stick to the beaches accessible by car!

Visited March 2012
6 Thank whalewatcher09
Binghamton, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“only thing worse than thier terrible service is thier garbage equipment”
Reviewed August 19, 2011

NOT a good experience, certainly not what i expected for the money!!! I made arrangements at least a month prior to my arrival, since i was staying on the Summerland Key I would pickup my 19' rental from thier Summerland location. What a surprise that the day i am to pickup the rental I recieve a phone call informing me i need to pickup my rental from thier Big Pine Key location NOT from Summerland Key leaving me to make new arrangements on how to pickup a boat from a location i must drive my car to rather than the arrangements i made where i could have walked....and then there was the boat itself, I have no idea what year this craft was but it should have been retired from use years before! When i say that this boat was garbage this is a drastic understatement, broken feul & speedo gauges, excessive feul consumption, chopped up propeller, almost all compartments broken, fiberglass cracked and broken EVERYWHERE, bimini top ripped & half assed rigged to stay up, I cant believe any quality business would rent a boat in this condition for obviously novice boaters to take on the ocean... and seriously how can any company justify $1347.00 for one week rental for a boat that is certainly worth less than the rental fee itself, then to that add $230 in feul for using the boat approx 110 miles.
Unless you want to spend an exhorbent amount on a garbage rental GO ELSEWHERE! there are a few companies in the marathon/big pine Key/ Summerland key area that for the same price will provide a relatively new and reasonably feul efficient craft, with VHF radio & free delivery & pickup...NEVER AGAIN
Very unprofessional... located at Big Pine Key Fishing Lodge business is not in a building but a outdoor desk or podium next to fish cleaning station where they do business! Upon pickup & drop off i had to make arrangements and wait as much as twenty minutes each time just for someone on staff to arrive at location! Seems like they have better things to do than run thier business!

Visited August 2011
5 Thank Robert H
Glenview, IL
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Big Pine Key Boat Rentals”
Reviewed May 6, 2011

Previous year we wanted to go to the Looe reef but on the day which was reserved for the trip waves were too high and the trip was canceled. This time we decided to rent a boat to get the place for sure. We rented with Big Pine Key Boat Rental. Each day we were on phone and each time something was wrong (waves were too high, wind was too strong). When we finally get to the reef I was so thankful to Maya for choosing for us the right time to go. If you would like to have a perfect open water trip first you should catch a perfect weather condition. And about the reef: it is not huge at all, but it is a real alive reef, beautiful and big enough for one day exploration. Plus on our way back we met huge sea turtle, so I stopped a boat, jumped in to the water and filmed it.

3 Thank AlexSvist