“Leave your babies at home”

Strike Zone Charters
Ranked #5 of 22 Tours in Big Pine Key
Reviewed June 30, 2012 via mobile

An age limit should be set because a couple chose to bring a baby under 1 year old & he cried the entire trip. You can use the cries as a homing device to make sure you didn't wonder too far of course.

The first sight off ofthe Looe key was a little cloudy and then we moved to the second spot about 20-50 ft away and those views were amazing! Crystal clear as far as the eyes could see; fish all colors and sizes.

The crew had fun with us and was all about safety too. Great trip

All reviews
"second stop"
"beautiful reef"
"afternoon trip"

Reviewed June 25, 2012

Several years ago, I had been on a snorkeling/fishing trip with Strike Zone Charter with a 2 couples we knew and a number of other people we didn't. The trip started out well, but then a squall came up with wind and driving rain. The captain and her mate put on rain suits and started preparing lunch while everyone else (including an elderly couple who were turning blue) on the boat was drenched and shivering. Some sought shelter in the bathroom. The captain and mate were completely unconcerned about the passengers, and we finally suggested returning to the dock since several people did not look well. They informed us that there would be no refund, and only after we told them that money was the least of our concerns, they returned us to the dock. It was miserable and the captain should have been reprimanded or worse for neglect of her passengers. I remembered this when I noticed this section while researching another trip to the Keys, which will definitely not include a trip with this company. We had complained at the time and were ignored.

8  Thank hjk1962
Reviewed June 14, 2012

The front desk staff was friendly. The boat staff was great and funny. The reef was amazing! The trip description says 2 locations but that is within the same reef. The first stop was a little murky but I think that was because of the previous very windy days. There were a ton of fish to see. We even saw a shark. The second location was a lot clearer but was full of moon jellyfish, which was really distracting. My husband got seasick and couldn't enjoy the second location. If you get motion sickness make sure you take some meds before getting on the boat. He didn't have that problem last year but we went to a different reef, different company, and the boat was a steady catamaran. Enjoy looe reef it is beautiful!

Reviewed June 8, 2012

On a recent trip to the Lower Keys I wanted to scuba dive the Looe Key Marine Sanctuary. I am a certified diver, at the time had 11 dives under my belt. Due to my wife being pregnant at the time she was unavailable to be my dive buddy so when I mentioned this to Strikezone they said they would try to pair me up with a group that had an odd number of divers so that I wouldn’t have to pay for a guide to be my buddy. Strikezone got a hold of me the night before my scheduled dive and indicated they didn’t have any other divers registered for that outing. They said I could switch to the afternoon or another day if I wanted. {The last time I was in the Keys (two years earlier) the weather was too windy the whole week we were there that my wife and I weren’t able to scuba dive at all, so this time I wanted to make sure I took advantage of the opportunity when the weather was right.} I told them that I appreciated them trying to save me the money for a guide, but that I really wanted to dive and would pay the cost for an instructor to guide me. My dive guide was Linda and she was great. I have never been to this reef before and she was able to show me all sorts of things that I likely would have missed on my own. At the same time I didn’t need to put all my focus on underwater navigation because I knew my guide knew the area well. Linda was really friendly, gave me many pointers to help me on future dives and was stuck around to help me fill out my dive log and sign-off on it.
The boat captain was very friendly and had a great sense of humour, and the other staff on the boat treated everyone with respect. They were concerned of everyone’s safety and made sure everyone was comfortable.
When I return to the keys so my wife can experience the reef as well, we will be diving with Strikezone!