“Affordable Camping in the Keys”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Big Pine Key
Big Pine Key Fishing Lodge
Antioch, Illinois
“Affordable Camping in the Keys”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I traveled to Big Pine Key Fishing Lodge as a graduate student with a group of 10 people. We spent a week in the keys camping over spring break. BPK Fishing Lodge was perfect for this type of trip. The staff was friendly and willing to answer any questions we had and point us in the right direction for activities we wanted to pursue. The Lodge is essentially a camp ground with RVs and tent spaces. The people seemed to all be regulars who drive down from the northern states during the winter months. It is generally an older crowd, but we didn't mind. The shower facilities were fine and the fishing was really good. There is a general store on the property in case you need supplies or food.There was a nice swimming pool and shuffle board area. The bugs can be a little annoying and we had quite a few bug bites but it is hard to get mad when you are in the keys. Overall, if you love the outdoors and want to camp in a beautiful part of the country I would recommend it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Mike J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Saint Simons Island, Georgia
Reviewed April 11, 2013

The kids and I fell in love with the keys and decided to stay another two days- so we were lucky enough to find a rustic tent camping site at this fishing lodge on Big Pine Key. What a treat it was to stay here! I never camped at a place that had such a nice bath house and swimming pool! The breeze off the beach was a delight and it was not too "buggy" either. They have daily activities for the kids and a nice store and laundry too- all this important stuff for travellers like me who decide to linger for longer! The kids and I were super happy and decided that we would definately return here next time.

Room Tip: Bring your bikes and a boat!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Leigh E
Vero Beach, Florida
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Big Pine Key Fishing Lodge was an awesome camping experience! Every part of the lodge was well kept and a pleasure for camping! The staff was welcoming and the store had great keepsakes as well as plenty of grocery selections. We loved the location in the Keys and loved waking up with a gorgeous waterfront view. Will plan on visiting there many more times!

Room Tip: Go for the waterfront sites! You won't be disappointed - gorgeous!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank goldnole
Freeport, Michigan
Reviewed April 9, 2013

This place was everything it advertised to be. The restrooms and showers were super clean, the staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful. They had great advise on area attractions. They provided fun activities and even hid eggs throughout our campsite and provided breakfast on the beach on Easter. The pool was clean and warm. The camp store had everything you would need if you forgot anything and was very reasonable priced. The Key Deer are very cute, but make sure you don't leave any food out, they are particularly fond of sticky buns :) Our only complaint had nothing to do with the owners and facilities, but our fellow campers. Unfortunately, we were camped next to a family that felt it was ok to slam their van door 20 times each night as they returned and each morning as they packed up for the day.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank depews01
Cape Coral, Florida, United States
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I stayed at Big Pine Key last spring with my best friend, it wasn't yet summer but the campsite was pretty full. Our site was next to a somewhat noisy water pump or something. After a few minutes it just became background noise and didn't bother us. It rained for most of the night while we were sleeping, the rain definitely drowned out any other noise, in a good way.

The staff that we interacted with was really nice, bathrooms were clean (plus!!), the campsites were clean. I didn't have a problem. We were there for 2 nights. We went through Glenn's Nature Trail twice (located in the campsite), there was no beach for swimming but there was tons of places to get your feet wet (if you're careful) along the nature trail. After the trail we went to Key West one day, to Bahia Honda State Park and Robbie's of Islamorada to feed Tarpon & shop the next.

I never had to buy anything at their store, but they looked well stocked with essentials as well TONS of nicknacks and memorabilia.

It's a little pricier than camping in mid thru north FL, but that's to be expected. I don't think what we paid was outrageous at all for the location.

Though I had been to the Key's 3 times before, this was my first camping here.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Meghan D
Lower Keys, Florida
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Family owed and operated for many years and the staff are awesome! They really make you feel welcomed. They have activities and Friday night dances. A huge return vacationers.We camped for many many years and the price is so FAIR!!!! Go check out the other places to stay or camp! Just a wonderful place and I have told many people to stay there. Kudos to the BPFL! Would recommend to anyone!.

Room Tip: Be patient and Remember you are on Island Time-chill and relax! All the rooms are cozy and very clea...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Valeria M
Florida
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I chose to stay at Big Pine Fishing Lodge for its proximity to Bahia Honda State Park. My family and I stayed there for three nights at the tent camping area. The campground it's mostly for RV but it has a few primitive campsites.

The camping rate is: 52 dollars per nite for 2 people. After that you pay 10 dollars extra per person for a maximum of 6 people. And they allow either one car and two tents or one tent and two cars.

There is no privacy in between campsites. It looks like they tried to put as many sites as possible and therefore there is little and sometimes no vegetation dividing the sites. My tent was so close to my neighbors that I could her them snoring at night. There is no beach at the campground, or trails. If you want to go to the beach you have to drive to bahia honda. The bathroom facilities are great and always clean. They have a heated pool with a spacious pool deck for relaxing.

My third day at the campground I got chased by a very rude staff person who apparently thought I was trying to sneak in the pool area. I was going up the stairs to the pool and she kept asking me if I needed any help. I was carrying a few bags so I thought she was offering help carrying them. I thanked her and said I was fine but she kept following me saying I needed to pay for using the pool. I thought it was weird that I needed to pay extra for using the pool since I was already paying for the camp site. I told her I was staying at the campground and gave her my camp site number but she kept following me and telling me I needed to check in and pay the fees. I told her that I had been staying there for few days already and that my husband was at the convenience store where the front desk is located in case she wanted to see our reservation documents. This all happened in front of other guests and she was incredibly rude and loud. I was very embarrassed to say the least. I have no idea why she thought I was sneaking to the pool area since there are gates with locks and only registered campers have keys. I think she could have handle the situation better and approach me in a more discreet manner if she thought I was not a registered camper.

The highlight of my stay was definitely seeing the key deer roaming around.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Parmer's Resort
#2 of 2 in Little Torch Key
Sunshine Key RV Resort & Marina
Little Palm Island Resort & Spa, A Noble House Resort
Little Palm Island Resort & Spa,...
#1 of 2 in Little Torch Key
Old Wooden Bridge Fishing Camp

Been to Big Pine Key Fishing Lodge? Share your experiences!