Bahia Honda State Park Campgrounds
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Big Pine Key
See available hotels
  • Pool
Parmer's Resort(Little Torch Key)
  • Breakfast included
Melody Key(Summerland Key)
View Hotel
Skipjack Resort Suites & Marina(Marathon)
View Hotel
All reviewsstate parksnorkeling tripconcession standbahia hondasandspur beachclear waterfishkey westgift shopsand fleastent campinggreat campingsea grassnatural beachreserve americabug sprayno see ums
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 10, 2010

This was a great camping experience. We had site 62, which did not have direct beach access but had plenty of shade. This shady spot never got really hot because of the shade. It was close to the bathroom and beach access. The bathrooms were always clean and never really smelled (even though they were composting toilets). The staff was helpful and very nice. The snorkeling trip that the park offers is a must! We will definitely return!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ccellis
Reviewed April 16, 2010

We thought this was going to be a great camping trip. However, I did not realize that my campsite was without electric. OK, we can deal with that. However, I did not realize that the Bayside restroom had no shower and the closest one would require a car ( or a fairly long walk) to get to it. I was told I had a 30 foot deep lagoon right next to my campsite. GREAT, we can kayak, snorkel and swim right where we camp. When we got there the signs said - no swimming, kayaking, or snorkeling just fishing allowed. We had water in front and in back of our site. The water/seaweed on the Gulf side smelled very bad and made me cough. It was just average as far as scenic enjoyment. I expected a sandy campsite. I was really WRONG. The surface is ancient coral rock. It is sharp and hard on feet and tent bottoms. Be very careful of your site. Some have electric and others don't . You can be right on the Atlantic which can be terrific if the wind isn't to strong. Facilities vary around this park. Next time I won't reserve a Bayside site. We left early.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Rightwhale
Reviewed February 6, 2010

Reported as one of the prettiest beaches in the USA, certainly a stunning location. The campground has nice facilities, including hot showers and a laundry. The tent sites are literally on the beach front so you can sit and watch the sunset from your chair. As with all the USA campsites we've visited you get a picnic bench, BBQ and generous plot to yourself. This site was very quiet as the RVs park elsewhere - so no generators going off or huge buses driving past your tent at 6am.
Site is about 38 miles east of Key West.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LondonKazza
Reviewed January 31, 2010

I just got back from Bahia Honda. We stayed in lot 75 which was a TEnt only camp site in the Lagoon area. The camp site was facing a man made lagoon as well as some cabins, there were approx 8 camp sites and 4 cabins. The lagoon area is approx 1/2 mile to the beach where you would be spending most of your time. There is a water spicket, picnic table and grill. NO FIRE RING. The site is close to US1 and you will hear cars drive by all night. We were there for 2 nights, the first night was windy and cool and we ended up biking around the entire park several times and then cooking out on the grill. the 2nd night had no wind what so ever and was very warm and muggy... WARNING if you happen to be there when it is warm and muggy with no wind you WILL be eaten alive by no see ums, mosquitoes, and other biting insects. I had on DEEP WOODS OFF and still didn't work. I have 15 bites on the face because i had a jacket on (in 75 degree weather) with a hoody, and baggy jeans. The Hoody was needed b/c the incects were biting my scalp also... i have about 1/2 a dozen bites on my scalp (i have a full head of hair) and bites all over my arms and ankles.

If you go there when it's cool and windy you will have a great time, if you go there when it's warm and not windy it will be miserable.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
6  Thank hue95
Reviewed January 28, 2010

My boyfriend and I spent several days camping in site number 62 and we throughly enjoyed ourselves. Our site did not have a water view, but it was completely shaded over which was nice in August, of course. Our site was clean and the restrooms were as well. (Be aware that the restrooms are not equipped with water toilets, but composting toilets for the preservation of the park and conservation of water).

The major con: the beach directly in front of our campsite was positively covered with trash. We spent the majority of one of our afternoons collecting trash becuase it was awful to see such a lovely place so littered. Granted, this was during storm season and perhaps some of it just washed up recently, but we were disappointed. Another con: seaweed stink, but that's just nature. We had no problems with bugs and the heat wasn't intolerable (but we are Florida natives).

Pros: Nice snorkeling, great family environment, easy access to drug stores, restaurants, snacks, tours and rentals. Our site had water and power access. Easy access to 'secret' snorkeling spots that are indeed breathtaking. Friendly locals, lots of wildlife (including island iguana) and foliage.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple