Bahia Honda State Park Campgrounds
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Big Pine Key
See available hotels
  • Pool
Parmer's Resort(Little Torch Key)
  • Breakfast included
Melody Key(Summerland Key)
View Hotel
Skipjack Resort Suites & Marina(Marathon)
View Hotel
All reviewsstate parksnorkeling tripconcession standbahia hondasandspur beachclear waterfishkey westgift shopsand fleastent campinggreat campingsea grassnatural beachreserve americabug sprayno see ums
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Camping on the water with a million dollar view. Clean bathrooms, clean showers, beautiful State Park. Very friendly workers. Make sure you put your coolers awayvat night, the Raccoons are out at night.

• Stayed: November 2013
8  Thank 2wincam
Reviewed December 12, 2013

The setting is truly beautiful. The day we arrived the water was crystal clear. Beware: it may not last. We should have snorkeled that day because the rest of the week was marred by a huge influx of seagrass that piled onto the beach like bays of hale and made the water murky. Also too windy to kayak. So if you get the opportunity on a clear day, don't pass it up, thinking you'll do it tomorrow. That said, just sitting around admiring the water was fun. We walked the beach every day. Watched herons and ibis and anhinga. Saw a key deer driving through nearby nature preserve.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank TallyWriter
Reviewed December 10, 2013 via mobile

1. Most of the campsites DO NOT have electricity.
2. Some of the park rangers dont know their way around the park, get your own map.
3. If you stay in the bayside campsites, anything tied down on top of your car will have to come down so that you can drive underneath a bridge to your campsite.
4. Water hoses are NOT a source of water for paying guests, you may only use the outdoor showers for rinsing snorkeling gear.
5. If you arrive after hours, there will be a park volunteer at your campsite at precisely 8 a.m. to remind you to go get a car pass to hang on your rear view mirror.

Without a doubt, Bahia Honda State Park is one of the most beautiful parks in Florida. So beautiful in fact that you would assume every employee there must love their job. This is not the case.
Bahia Honda was my 17th state park visited in the past 5 weeks and it makes me sad that the staff was the root of all unhappiness. I was arriving late and called the ranger station ahead of time to get the gate code. The ranger on the phone proceeded to tell me that I was staying in site 74 located in the Sandspur camping loop and that the extra vehicle with me would have to park in the beach parking lot. Only one vehicle allowed at each site in the Sandspur loop. In fact, our campsite was NOT in the sandspur loop, site 74 is located in the bayside campground and on bayside you may have two vehicles parked at your campsite. This bit of false information made for a long tour of the entire campground and imagine our surprise when we realize we cant even get to our campsite without taking our kayaks off of the top of our car. Unloading the kayaks wasnt a huge deal and the campsite itself proved to be worth the extra hassel. Out of all 17 parks i've visited, Bahia Honda was the most expensive which was okay with me until I realized that I paid $43.60 for a place to pitch a tent! No electricity and no campfire cirlce. (Yes, I know you dont need a campfire in the FL keys but I had a first time camper with me and she geniunely wanted to make s'mores.) We managed just fine without electricity even though we couldnt inflate our air mattress and had to sleep on the gravel ground. Needless to say, it was a very long night and my morning wake up call was even worse. I understand that it is the job of park employees and volunteers to keep everything in order but I do not appreciate one of those employees walking onto my campsite at 8 am while people are sleeping to tell me to go get a pass on my car. After 17 state park visits, my license plate is on file with the park system and I'm fairly sure they wouldn't mind waiting until I wake up to go check in. After checking in, making breakfast, and cleaning up camp we all went down to play at the beach. Afterwards, we found the outdoor showers to rinse off our snorkeling gear. Right next to the showers was a hose, much more appropriate for rinsing gear then using the shower. While I was trying to turn on the hose I heard, "Hello. Hello!" I finally turned around to find that the insistent voice was a blonde haired park ranger speaking to me! She proceeded to say, "that is not a source of water for YOU. That (pointing at the showers) is a source of water for you." Well, excuse me. What ever happened to manners? "Excuse me, ma'am," would've done just fine to get my attention and there was no sign stating that the hose was off limits. I tried to turn the mood around by making a joke about the need for a sign, at which she scoffed at me and reminded me, in her rudest tone, that the water coming from the showers was sufficient enough for my needs. Unbelievable!

The state of Florida owns some truly spectacular pieces of property however at this state park, they have some truly unbelievable employees. I hope your stay can be better than ours by avoiding some of our mishaps. Good luck.

• Stayed: December 2013
29  Thank gypsykay
Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

I can see why this campground is always full. We booked 1 year in advance and got one of the last spots. It was beautiful! We had a spot on the bay. We had beautiful sunsets and tons of stars at night. We drove down to Key West one night - only a 30min drive.

• Stayed: November 2013
5  Thank sengel2
Reviewed November 16, 2013

I was there with a group of 7 people. Awesome place, low cost camping, clean toiletes and what is the best - The most beautiful key. I really like it, clear water, peace and best surise and sunset in my life. Perfect

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends