“Nice Bal Harbour Hotel”
Review of Sea View Hotel

Sea View Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Bal Harbour
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Came in in May 2013 for 4 nights - upgraded on arrival which is always nice to a room with a balcony overlooking the front of the hotel. Room was lovely - bed exceptionally comfortable, although air con was very noisy.

Not the best value for money as $10.70 for sun loungers per person per day so everyone makes a beeline for the free green chairs which are often wet. Location wise - Bal harbour is very nice, but not very central.

Food was okay - not exceptional, and the staff were friendly. My main issue with the hotel was the $800 pre-auth they took out on our debit card without warning and then held for 5 days after we returned from vacation causing us significant inconvenience.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tomhut
Sea View Hotel o, Manager at Sea View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2014

Dear tomhut,
Thank you for staying with us during your time spent in Miami. We appreciate you comments as it helps us become a better hotel. I can assure you that your concerns have been addressed with our GM and management team and are currently reviewing hotel policies, as well as, going through renovations. Currently, we are in the process of installing a new air conditioning system, which will be much quieter and eco friendly.
We hope to see you again as you travel to Miami. Come see and feel the new changes, you'll be impressed!
All the best and thank you again for choosing us as one of your destination hotels.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

This Hotel is very quiet. The area is the best of Miami. I fully recommended. It has an excellent breakfast. The beach is very wide and with very few people. Its in front of Bal Harbou Shops.I will return

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Samsung39

Dear Samsung39,
Thank you for the kinds words. We always appreciate hearing great things about guest's experiences and about our hotel.
We will continue to strive to be the best and keep you coming back.
Looking forward to your return.
All the best,

Reviewed May 3, 2013

We stayed in this hotel during the busy Spring Break period. The hotel was busy but we felt looked after by the staff, although they were occasionally slightly aloof. The rooms were spacious and clean, but the air conditioning unit could do with updating as it was quite noisy. The pool was large and warm enough to swim in, even on those slightly cooler days. The beach was easily accessible from the pool area and we found it to be quiet and delightful.
We ate breakfast and dinner in the restaurant and had very enjoyable meals and very friendly waiting staff.
I would stay in this hotel again because I enjoyed the style of the hotel and rooms, and even the staff made it feel like you had entered a different era. I believe the sea-view rooms have been updated so would request one of those next time.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Tanya C
Sea View Hotel o, General Manager at Sea View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2014

Dear Tanya C,
We thank you for those kinds comments regarding our hotel. It's always great to hear when guests had a wonderful experience and will be returning. You will be pleased to know that we are currently installing a new air conditioning system throughout the hotel which should be completed early 2015. In addition, we are continuing to renovate the hotel and upgrade certain aspects beautifying the overall look of our gem in Bal Harbour. We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Bal Harbour, Miami.
Many thanks,
Raj Singh

Reviewed March 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed there in March 2013 for a long weekend. We found the service to be good but slow at the front desk, and the maids and guys at the pool were attentive and helpful. The access to the beach was great: just walk out the back door and pass by the pool and there it was! There is a nice running path that goes north and south for a number of miles, and it was great to run there in the late afternoon with the cool breeze and ocean waves. The water is a beautiful color but the water a bit too cold for swimming. The pool, however, was very warm. It was clean and big, a nice rectangular shape for swimming laps. Though the signs said it was open from 9a-5p, the pool guys said we could swim anytime, and we did end up swimming before 9am and after 6pm without problems.

We did not eat in the restaurant but we did appreciate the little kitchenette that was in our room. We bought milk, cereal and fruit at a nearby Publix and ate breakfast there. The TV just had local channels and basic cable, but that is okay because we weren't there to watch TV. The hotel is in a very posh neighborhood with a Beverly Hills-level "mall", Bal Harbour Shops, located about 1 block away. We walked there thinking we would find a food court to get a quick bite. However, the 2 times we ate at 2 different restaurants there, we walked away paying $75 for ordinary meals (including 1 beer each time and no desserts). Ouch! This mall is no place for ordinary humans to shop, since it includes stores like Gucci, Alexander McQueen, and Stella McCartney. Felt like I was on Rodeo Drive East! Fortunately, South Florida is like one big mall with houses sprinkled in the middle, so we were able to get some real shopping done after we rented a car and drove to the Dolphin Mall and Sawgrass Mall.

I would recommend this hotel if you want to enjoy a pool and the ocean and maybe shop/window shop, but it was quite expensive even through Orbitz (almost $300/night, plus $18/night parking). If you just want to do some serious shopping in South Florida, you could probably find a place less expensive and closer to the airport & malls.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Chicago2PTY

Dear Chicago2PTY,
We thank you for the positive feedback from your time spent with us most recently.
We are proud to be in the vicinity of the shopping mecca, Bal Harbour Shops. Our guests travel from around the world to spend time here and shop until they drop! It's quite the upscale destination in the world of shopping. We are pleased you did enjoy yourselves while here and the staff took care of you as well. We aim to please and are hopeful we meet your expectations of your stay. We are in the midst of renovating the hotel and should be completed by early 2015. We invited you back to experience a newer and better Sea View Hotel.
Hope to see you soon again.
Regards,

Reviewed March 22, 2013

This was by far the worst experience in a hotel, ever. I've stayed in numerous hotels--this being the most expensive, and worst service ever. Absolutely none of the staff were friendly with the exception of the the man working in the concierge. My first night staying there I was locked out of my room because their door's lock malfunctioned so I was placed in another room. Because of their miscommunication, the terrible clerk threatened to call the police on me in addition to charging me for the extra room. My conversation with them that morning was embarrassing and uncalled for. There were many other problems that persisted with my week stay, but I'll save the time. Just do yourselves a favor a do not stay there. Worst mistake and I just wish I could get my money back.

• Stayed: March 2013
8  Thank SweetMarie1
Sea View Hotel o, Manager at Sea View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2014

Dear SweetMarie1,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us as we are always looking to our guests comments to better our hotel. We apologize that you did not have a pleasant experience and would hope you could give us another try soon. Our GM and management team have been made aware of your concerns and are currently investigating them. We are reviewing our policies as a hotel and look forward to make some nice changes regarding retraining the staff and customer service methods. Again, we apologize for this unfortunate experience and would like for you to contact us so we can make it up to you.
Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

The Sea View is reminiscent of a grand 30's hotel from the outside, but inside is is modern, clean and comfortable. The bedrooms are large and beautifully furnished - ours had a kitchen area and dining table and chairs. The views from the balcony are wonderful with the beach, palm trees and ocean beyond. The pool area and beach are welcoming and user friendly and the "pool guys" are so helpful. The location could not be better - the Bal Harbour shops are across the street and South Beach or the Aventura Mall are only a $2 bus ride away. It was our 3rd visit to the Sea View and we will definitely return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor and try and get a balcony room with an ocean view
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jocelyn D
Sea View Hotel o, General Manager at Sea View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2014

Dear Jocelyn D,
We appreciate your kind comments about your most recent visit with us. We are always looking for ways to satisfy our guests so they have the best experience. Hopefully you will be revisiting us soon as we welcome your return as always.
All the best,
Raj Singh

Reviewed March 16, 2013

I spent one LONG night at this hotel before moving over to the St. Regis (ie. heaven on earth). The service was awful from start to finish. The bell staff swiftly swooped up my luggage without so much as a "hello". Clearly, the focus was on getting a tip, not the actual customer service involved. Check-in was fine, nothing warm and welcoming by any means. The room was near appalling. It was so dated and dull. There was mold in the corners on the floor, it smelled of must and mildew, the bathroom was tiny, the carpet worn, the heat/air system smelled like something was on fire. I ordered room service lunch, the gentleman on the phone was absolutely rude. He hardly said "goodbye" at the conclusion of the phone call and didn't offer any beverage or sides with my order. I asked for "no bacon" and not surprisingly, my salad arrived with bacon. I pointed this out to the delivery man and he said this, "Hmmm, I asked them for no bacon". He didn't offer to amend the situation and scurried out. The next morning, I wanted to purchase a snack from the sundry shop which appeared closed albeit the "open" sign. I had to ask the front desk to ring me up and then they couldn't print me a receipt. He made a big fuss about it and finally was somehow able to make a copy from the front desk. All the guests were foreign and the hotel was just overall run-down and tired. I cannot believe the prices people are willing to pay for accommodations worse than some of the worst Holiday Inns! The hotel is absolutely not business friendly at all.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank SEGMN

Dear SEGMN,
We thank you for taking the time to post comments about your experience when you stayed with us at The Sea View Hotel. We appreciate your comments as it always helps us improve our guest's experience. We apologize for your experience and hope we can make it up to you should you decide to visit Bal Harbour again. We are taking steps to reorient our staff to better serve our guests with the experience they expect out of a four star hotel. Please feel free to reach out to us should you have any questions as we would be delighted to discuss your experience.
We look for to hearing from you real soon.
Regards,

Residence Inn by Marriott Miami Beach Surfside
The St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort
Sun Harbour Boutique Hotel
Grand Beach Hotel Surfside West

Been to Sea View Hotel? Share your experiences!