“Nice, but....” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Bal Harbour
Brooklyn, New York
“Nice, but....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

The setting--under a road overpass. A bit offputting at first. The exterior almost looked like a low-rent hotel. But inside, it was nice and clean. I arrived earlier than planned, and my room wasn't ready. They upgraded me--nice! I was alone and on a business trip, so the big living room and kitchen were kind of overkill. Still, very nice of them. The hotel is across the road from the beach--also nice! But it appeared the Quarzo had no room service at night (when I needed it), so I went to the big hotel across the street and had a delicious burger.

After I had check out, however, I noticed an additional charge of $13 from them on my credit card bill. I called and asked what it was--they had charged me for a missing glass and a bag of potato chips. It was only around $13 bucks, but still. I didn't steal or break a glass, and I didn't eat any potato chips. (I don't even like potato chips much.) I asked them to remove that charge from my bill. (And again, I was on a business trip, so I could and would have charged that to my company, had I in fact eaten the chips or broken the glass. But I didn't.)

They said they would take care of it. Around a week later, I see a refund of $1 from them on my credit card bill. I called and asked them what was up with that, and could they fix it. I never heard back from them and my credit card was never reimbursed. I would think a good hotel would a) check inventory before the next guest is ushered in, to avoid this awkward situation, and/or b) give a guest who says she didn't eat the potato chips or break (or steal) a glass the benefit of the doubt. I am very surprised that they didn't make this right, as they seemed nice and on top of things otherwise.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank fortgreenie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

This is a great place to stay - and I would have give a "5-star" if it was a away from the brigde.
The room is very sound-isolated - so you will not hear the traffic outside, but the rooms facing eastwards are staring straight into a bridge.
We, a family of 4, had a 120 sqm apartment with 1 bedroom, livingroom+kithen, great bath and balcony - and we loved it.

Location: it is close to the beach (200m) and the hotel have beachservice incl in the room-rate. But as mentioned is is to close to the bridge.

Pro:
- great rooms
- great service
- great utside area, pool, beds ..

Con:
- A/C is noisy, and works well in living-room, but not that effective in bedroom.
- you hear people in the corridor rather easy.

Room Tip: 2nd og 3rd floor is probably better due to noise from the corridor.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Darmstadt, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

well i'm from germany, so my english is not so good.
But it's even good enough to see that they tried fo fool us.

i booked 22.03.2014 over spledia a room and there and at the quarzo homepage there was standing that i have to pay 10$ for overnight parking.
After i arrived (02.04.2014) they charged me 15$ per night and they told me, that they raised the charging fee more than 2 months ago to 15$.

how can that be? they fooled us.

but it wasnt the only thing there. We had worms in the room and they cleaned it not away.
after confrontating the service they asked us: why didnt you told me that there are worms?

so - i have to tell them how they should do there job? ^^

however:
good rooms and a nice hotel, but the service is arrogant and bad.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
QUARZO H, Front Office Manager at Bal Harbour Quarzo, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Dear Warsheepx!

Thank you for your feedback!

We are truly apologize for the misunderstanding.

As it is mention on our website and the travel agent that you used,

we do have an additional charge for the resort fee, which is $10 per day,

as well as charge for parking, which is $15.

We always make everything possible to provide the best

service to our guests.

Sometimes there are factors beyond our control but your

experience let us know what we need to improve.

Our team also tries very hard to avoid situations like

this to happen in the future.

Very Best,

Management
Sao Paulo, SP
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

its a good hotel. Not so fantastic like ive seen in the oficial site photos. But its is well sited. The channel in front the hotel is very charming and the beach, beautifu. I recommend it for a weekend.

Room Tip: ask for a room with the channel view, not in the side.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
Sao Paulo, Brazil
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

Our room was really huge, with a complete kitchen, living room, etc, felt like home. Everything new and working perfectly, very clean, helpful staff. Overall an excellent value dor the money, as we booked well in advance with a good rate. The hotel is a little tricky to find for the first time and you need a car to go to most places, but then again you'd probably pay double the price for a worse hotel at South beach.

Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Jonass
Dear Jonass!

Thank you for leaving a feedback about our beautiful hotel!

We do really appreciate your input and we will be very glad to

see you in the nearest future again!

Best Regards!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

I was here with my girlfriend about two years ago. We had really nice room with kitchen and the bathroom was so nice. Staff was very helpful and they helped us to order NBA tickets etc. I can highly recommend this hotel to young couples who don't mind parties etc. Garden area was perfect and very beautiful.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
QUARZO H, Front Office Manager at Bal Harbour Quarzo, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Dear HenriParo!

We do really appreciate your time,

that you found for the review. All our team is

absolutely happy that they made your stay

unforgettable.

We hope to see you anytime soon!

Best Regards,

Management
Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel mainly because we like Bal Harbour.
Well decorated, comfortable rooms; but the bathroom we had was quite small compared to the size of the room, and the cupboard space a little crammed.
Wi-fi works well, but you have to keep signing in all the time, which is a bother...
Very few TV channels. No Bloomberg (although listed) and no Golf channel.
Air conditioning very noisy and be sure to leave the card on your bed if you want the sheets to be changed during your stay...Friendly service. The Reception team needs to acquire more experience. Parking can be a bit tricky at times because space is limited.
Why do they call the hotel a "Boutique Hotel"?

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
QUARZO H, Front Office Manager at Bal Harbour Quarzo, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Neri:

Thank you for your rating and comments, we do really appreciate your time for leaving your feedback.

We are currently working on upgrading our television and internet systems to provide more channels and faster internet without the log-in log-off problem. As well we are in the process of retraining all of our front desk staff.

Best regards,
Marenas Beach Resort
Marenas Beach Resort
#2 of 9 in Sunny Isles Beach
4.0 of 5 stars 1,215 reviews

Been to Bal Harbour Quarzo? Share your experiences!