We recently stayed at the St Regis for a long weekend... our first time away from our kids in over 2 years and to celebrate our 10-year anniversary. All-in-all we had a great, realaxing time, and while the hotel is slightly "overdone" it was pleasant and nice.
So the bad...I called in advance and asked for a bottle of white wine to be waiting in our room for our anniversary and surprisingly there was no welcome wine, chocolates or note or anything... odd.... the four seasons always has that!
Let's get to the check in process. We arrived at a very quiet time of day and were asked to take a seat to check in. My wife anxious to get to the beach, asked them to make it quick so we can get to the pool/beach. Despite asking, the check in process took a decent amount of time. First, the receptionist said to us "hang on for a second, I may be able to do something for you guys...." and left to discuss something with her colleague (manager?). She came back after a good 5 minutes and said "I am sorry, I thought I could upgrade you for free but I can't. I can give you a discount for the larger suite". We were already in an oceanfront junior suite, but by this time my wife is getting anxious to get to the beach and it telling me to "just do it". Boy do I feel as I have been taken for a ride. So we opt for the upgrade and end up paying more than I wanted (moreover when I get to the room - no wine or welcome).
Top that all off, the fire alarm goes off at 1:30am from a wedding celebration and wakes us up with strobe lights and loud beeping. The manager did take off the one night of upgrade charges but not that best start to our anniversary getaway.
After the initial settling in process, we had a relaxing time. The pool, gym and beach were great. We used the bikes they offer (for a small charge) both days to explore the trail along the beach. We enjoyed the bar and the J&G grill as well.
I would recommend the hotel to others, but just be aware of the front desk. They are a bit awkward (I think our receptionist had good intentions but clearly did not know how to manage expectations of arriving quests), slow and draw out the check in process for no reason (they tried to explain the proximity of the rooms as the layout of the hotel is strange and it got us no where).
I will likely come back and try the hotel again, but this time I am not falling for the bait and switch of upgrading me for free and then charging me... and I wont expect a welcome note, food or drink.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience an exclusive enclave in Bal Harbour with luxury oceanfront accommodations, quiet unwavering taste, anticipatory service and seductive amenities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotwire, Travelocity, Priceline, Odigeo, Agoda and Hotels.com so you can book your The St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The St. Regis Bal Harbour Hotel Bal Harbour
- The St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort Florida