The check in process was so poor, I almost checked out and went to another hotel before going to the room. I was told to sit and wait on a chair by the valet, after a while someone noticed me and “checked me in”. When my room wasn’t ready I was told to go sit in the lounge, but they could not tell me when the room could be ready, only vaguely that they “would let me know”. I asked the lady not to leave me sitting there for ages without an update, but that is exactly what happened. After 45 mins I had to seek out someone else at the front desk, who told me the same thing. I waited an hour and a half to get into my room – at 5:30, finally the second lady takes us up in a very snippy way and dumps my friends handbag on the table and says “ here it is! “ and leaves.
Hmmmm. No butler, no introduction to the property or the room features. My bag arrives, and the very nice valet asks if we need anything and we say yes, we have some questions for our butler. He summoned someone that will remain nameless, but it was a very strange. I don’t care about butler services, but don’t advertise them if they are useless and you never see them again! We asked 1. Could we get room service for dinner from the Grill downstairs, and 2. We wanted a coffee maker.
Answers : 1. I don’t know, they are very busy, maybe if you order 4 hours ahead of time. ( ?! )- he did bring up menus and when we called they said no problem, it would be 45mins.
2. I am your coffee and tea maker madame – really? So when we still asked for a coffee maker, and he said he would be back with one, he NEVER turned up with it the whole weekend, and when we passed him the next day in the hallway, he just wanly smiled at us like he had no clue who we were. We wanted to order some herbal tea before bed at midnight and guess what – not only did it not magically appear, it took 45 minutes. We just wanted to have some tea and go to bed and we’re up waiting for the private dining to show up.
Not ok for spending 2K a night, and one of their best suites in the hotel.
Here are the few good things. The beach service is very good, and the sushi you can order while you lounge there is excellent. Shout out to Fausto and Regi who are first class at handling all the requests on the beach. Also, the spa is very well stocked and clean, and I had a wonderful massage with Cecilia ( I believe her name was ) – highly recommended. The room itself was very pretty and nice, but you could be anywhere, like NYC, just with a better view. All the rooms have nice big balconies, but hardly any sun, so there is no sun lounging possible at any time of the day.
The bad – with the inclusion of the above, the light and drape system in the room drove me to distraction. How I wished for a simple toggle switch. The elevators, while I appreciate the security, were also a pain, especially if you wanted to see guests on other floors. A concierge we dealt with for a few requests ( flower arrangement for my Mothers b-day and car transfer ) were met with befuddlement and were not accomplished correctly. My Mother received some chocolate strawberries with a nice note welcoming her - we received nothing except an odd display of hard fruit in what appeared to be a mixing bowl on the second day.
By the way, the same thing happened when we tried to check my Mother in for one night, at almost 5 pm. Also we were told the room wasn’t ready. It seemed often there were a number of long faces hanging around the lobby always waiting, waiting. When I asked the lady again – why the hold up, she actually shrugged. Wow, just really poor rude service and not close to 5 star. I would highly suggest the management find some ladies at the front desk who like their jobs. I checked out one day early and went to another property that truly is 5 stars.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience an exclusive enclave in Bal Harbour with luxury oceanfront accommodations, quiet unwavering taste, anticipatory service and seductive amenities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, TravelUp, Prestigia, Priceline, getaroom.com, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your The St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The St. Regis Bal Harbour Hotel Bal Harbour
- The St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort Florida